Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Yeah I get that as well but Robinson was pretty critical that we had a few guys over the age of 35 on two year contracts as well when the season finished.  However I reckon McHugh and Bigirimana will be our first choice next season and with Allan Campbell well thought of by Robinson then I really don't see Lasley playing regularly next season.  He might be registered as a player but I honestly don't see him featuring much next season.

7 hours ago, Swello said:

I guess he can activate the extension (although why we were handing an extension to someone of that age, regardless of his excellent service, is a mystery) - but Robinson doesn't need to play him. A season on the bench wouldn't seem to be an attractive option for Keith either - but he might view it as a year to buff up his coaching CV before making a move to lower division management in 2018/2019.

This is pretty much my reading of it. Folk are kind of losing their minds about there being an extension but thinking back to last summer he was one of the players asked to take a (substantial) cut in the terms being offered so in that respect having a performance related add on doesn't really strike me as being that outrageous and as Ya Bezzer! points out Lasley contributed as much, if not more than guys like Clay and Lucas.

What it boils down to is what the obligation is, if it's simply that the club offer him terms then it's a decision Lasley will have to make, Robinson's not going to be obliged to play him. From the sound of things Robinson's fine with him being around as a player but would prefer his influence to be on the coaching side of things. Certainly looking at the squad you'd think that McHugh and Bigirimana will be first picks in the centre of the park. Really it's up to Lasley what he wants to do, he's presumably free to reject the option just as McDonald did.

In other news I see that's Faddy saying he wants to focus on playing for the foreseeable.

Just popping in to say I'm delighted I wasted your time asking about Samson. Bullet dodged I reckon.

All the best this season, if you have any 2017 spec Ross Forbes lying about please send them our way :) 

29 minutes ago, C4mmy31 said:

Any info on Dylan Mackin guys?

We maybe looking at him for the development squad .....

Ask Airdrie and Alloa fans.  They saw more of him than we did.

To be honest I'd have thought he'd be looking at first team football somewhere down the leagues. 

1 minute ago, C4mmy31 said:

Any info on Dylan Mackin guys?

We maybe looking at him for the development squad .....

It's be really odd if you were looking at him for the dev squad. He's 20 and has spent 11 years coming through our academy system and tbh as Ya Bezzer! says above I'd have thought he'd have been looking to get first team football at Championship/League 1 level he spent time out on loan at Alloa last season and Airdrie the season before.

He scored a lot of goals for our dev side and was quite prolific but in truth with Moult and McDonald at the club it was unlikely he was going to get a run of games. He's a relatively big lad, he'll hold the ball up and bring others into play and he certainly improved his all round game a reasonable amount last season but I'd have thought a drop down a league (or two) would suit him.

1 hour ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Just popping in to say I'm delighted I wasted your time asking about Samson. Bullet dodged I reckon.

All the best this season, if you have any 2017 spec Ross Forbes lying about please send them our way :) 

I'm actually surprised that Samson got a pretty decent gig with St Mirren as he had a very poor end to the season (although he was good at times before that)...

1 hour ago, Swello said:

I'm actually surprised that Samson got a pretty decent gig with St Mirren as he had a very poor end to the season (although he was good at times before that)...

Are you really surprised though? Is that not just what he does? Inexplicably finds himself bouncing to a decent club despite not actually having been very good? He's made a career out of it!

Having said that I could actually see him doing OK having dropped down a level and at least he has a bit of positive history at St Mirren what with the league cup win. St Mirren and Killie are pretty much the only two clubs he's spent any real length of time at, 104 games at Saints and 78 at Killie.

He was always on a hiding to nothing at Fir Park given the bizarre circumstances in which he arrived and then having not played him for almost the entire season McGhee then decided to make him first choice before putting him though what seemed like footballing purgatory by playing him week in, week out no matter how many goals or points he cost. It was like he was going all out to publicly crush his spirit.

Edit to add: Just reading the transcript that some papers are running with Robinson's (excellent) interview from yesterday and while I'd heard him say he was looking at defenders I didn't pick up on him saying that he's actively looking for two centre halves as well as a striker with a bit of pace. The striker bit passed me by completely and I thought we'd have been looking at maybe one centre half tbh.

Edited by capt_oats

Ouch - that's a bit of a minter for a new signing - having to order his da to delete his Twitter account :lol: Wise move though - and as he is following Craig Samson, he's well placed to be liked by our support (not palming the ball out to an opposing forward in his first game will have him in our POTY nominations).... 

Just read Kenny Millar's interview with Carson. It seems Robinson is doing some job selling the club (and the league) to players. If what he says is true he's kb'd significantly more money to stick around at Hartlepool in order to move to Fir Park.

Also seems like Boyce, McGinn, McGovern and Michael O'Neill have played a fair part in convincing him to move as well.

It's also vaguely reassuring that though we're bringing these players in we don't seem to be chucking money at them. I think every one of them has said they've knocked back better financial offers to sign.