Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

46 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

steelboy posted the link over on SO but on the Van Veen Weirdness Scale...

569010442_ScreenShot2021-06-25at09_08_53.thumb.png.b274bb7bbbb46349f7ad709c44a04105.png

Link

giphy.gif

Questionable "fundamentals" and "well above his division on his day" - It's the Dutch Lionel Ainsworth

I don't think I'm reading too much into the numbers this season. I reckon they've all just been told they can have which number they want. Lawless has obviously been number 11 before, McGinley changed to 19, which appears to have been his number for a few years before he joined us, Mugabi and Maguire obviously fancied first XI numbers.

Lawless was utterly ineffectual last season, but I am hoping that was related to not playing much at Burton, getting injured at the start here and not having bounce games to get up to speed. He was obviously valued at Partick and Livi, so hopefully we get to see that this season. 

If this is the case with the numbers, the #numberpolis in me will struggle when we have 2 or 3 players with a first eleven number in the first team.

I’m getting all sorts of Lionel / Nadz vibes from big KVV and it’s getting me very excited. I’ll be absolutely furious if he doesn’t stride out onto that Easter Road Fir Park pitch on 1st August decked out in claret and amber because I’m fully invested already.

Edited by dezz
I'm an idiot

39 minutes ago, dezz said:

I’m getting all sorts of Lionel / Nadz vibes from big KVV and it’s getting me very excited. I’ll be absolutely furious if he doesn’t stride out onto that Easter Road pitch on 1st August decked out in claret and amber because I’m fully invested already.

If he can score from Easter Rd, he's definitely worth a punt :)

Even if we don't sign the Budget Bergkamp - he signifies precisely the type of player I've always liked most. Players that have the talent to do something memorable are worth a hundred 6/10-every-week, great-trainer, does-the-simple-stuff-well types. 

The standard response to regular Lionel worship sessions on here is always "he was useless most of the time" - but f**k me - look at his highlights reel for us! IMHO, it's better to have a player that leaves that many memories despite his failings over any number of guys whose highlights reel would consist of them clapping to the main stand as they were subbed off after 70 mins of putting in a shift

At our level, if we get a guy that is hugely talented, he is highly likely to be inconsistent or old or slow or unfit or have a questionable attitude - we don't get the full package when we pay folk 60 grand a year or whatever. 

If I had my way, it would be a rule that we had one mercurial genius in our squad at all times (but no more than one).

Big Kev's highlights reel has everything you could wish for. Poachers goals , long range rakers and free kicks , with more than a dash of absolute filth thrown in for good measure.

Mercurial mayhem and madness ? I'm all aboard that train, so just lending a bit more weight to this thread to make sure it happens.

Even if we don't sign the Budget Bergkamp - he signifies precisely the type of player I've always liked most. Players that have the talent to do something memorable are worth a hundred 6/10-every-week, great-trainer, does-the-simple-stuff-well types. 
The standard response to regular Lionel worship sessions on here is always "he was useless most of the time" - but f**k me - look at his highlights reel for us! IMHO, it's better to have a player that leaves that many memories despite his failings over any number of guys whose highlights reel would consist of them clapping to the main stand as they were subbed off after 70 mins of putting in a shift
At our level, if we get a guy that is hugely talented, he is highly likely to be inconsistent or old or slow or unfit or have a questionable attitude - we don't get the full package when we pay folk 60 grand a year or whatever. 
If I had my way, it would be a rule that we had one mercurial genius in our squad at all times (but no more than one).
Completely agree. Harsh as it may seem, I'd rather a team filled with the likes of Ainsworth or Gboly over someone like Alan Campbell.

Campbell was brilliant and more or less guaranteed 6/10 minimum every week but, for me, he was the definition of unspectacular. A team which could get scudded 5-0 one week then scud someone 6-0 the next week is what I want to see (so basically any of Mccall's Motherwell teams).

22 minutes ago, TommyDickFingers said:

A striker nobody before the link had heard of I presume ? seems a bit of a character and yet nothing but positivity. Certain teams followers could learn a lot from you guys.

Hope he does well for you if you get him.*

*except against certain teams

If you're a supporter that can't get excited about a dodgy lower league striker that no-one had heard of before this week based on nothing more than an ITK rumour off a Scunthorpe message board - this thread is unlikely to be for you..