Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Highlight of the day was seeing Jay and Busta from on here getting huckled out during the first half for storming the terracing behind the goal, outstanding work gentleman. 

The next podcast may have a johnny cash feel to it then?

Just a casual reminder that we didn't keep a clean sheet in any of our pre-season games last season so yeah...progress right there.

As Casagolda says, it's difficult to take much out of that game. The XI that were out in the first half looked and played like what they were; a bunch of guys who had never played a game together outside of training. For me a fair amount of the problem with Rose getting caught on the ball was down to no one really being sure exactly what they were doing in terms of movement. For all Rose stood out in that respect, Campbell was exactly the same and was caught in possession a few times. 

Kipre and McManus shelling balls forward was night and day in style to the 2nd half where we looked far more comfortable moving the ball across the back line and through the midfield with McHugh as a lynchpin. Bowman was really quite unlucky with that effort he took on his chest from Heneghan's diagonal. I actually thought our style of play in the 2nd half was quite an eye opener in comparison to things under McGhee. The fact we looked willing to play the ball back and square then re-start and build from the back reminded me very much of the way Craigan had the u20s playing.

Pleased to see Bowman get a goal also.

Edited by capt_oats

Craig Clay was honking second half, don't recall him passing the ball to a team mate, similar to McManus horror show in the first half, I personally felt all the new lads did ok, some will take longer than others to adjust to the game, but certainly the second half team we put out had a bigger improvement in midfield with Carl McHugh there.

Looking forward to seeing Bigiramana is like on Tuesday night at Livingston.

Edited by Del_Superwell

None of the turnstiles were open as we arrived 20 mins late so we just jumped a wall, we did offer to pay the fiver but were not allowed in. We just went back to the pub.

35 minutes ago, fat_tony said:

Is Charles Dunne the one with the man bun? If so, get him to f**k. Can't be having that kind of shit at Motherwell.

Cracking play for our first goal.

Aye, that's Charles Dunne. In fairness there's really not much he can do with the hair he's got so I'd cut him some slack on that one.

Both goals were really well worked tbf. 2nd half we seemed to be playing in a pretty controlled way. I can't remember the last time I watched our first team try to play out from the back as often as we did. You had McHugh dropping in and picking the ball up off the centre backs while both the central defenders were more than happy to play the ball back to Griffiths and make themselves available for passes.

Shea Gordon breaking from the centre of the park was the sort of thing that we've missed badly recently. Cadden also looked really willing to break and carry the ball, though we know that's his game I guess. For the 2nd goal and Gordon's chance towards the end you'll see Jack McMillan, who was playing right back up in the centre forward area.

You obviously have to factor in the context of the game and the opposition but I'd say that's the only time recently that I've seen us play a 4231 effectively as well.

Assessment of goalkeeper George Long who was on loan to you guys a while back and has signed on loan for AFC Wimbledon in L1?  Strengths and weaknesses and how does he compare to other keepers you have had in the last few years? 

I see you had Connor Ripley a while back and obviously Russell Grifiths last season and this coming season. How would he measure up to them? I saw Ripley play for Oldham last season and he looked classy. 

Reassure me that he's liable to be better than Craig Samson. :whistle

Thanks in advance. Be looking out yo see how you guys get on this season with your new signings particularly Craig Tanner who was at Wimbledon for a while. 

Assessment of goalkeeper George Long who was on loan to you guys a while back and has signed on loan for AFC Wimbledon in L1?  Strengths and weaknesses and how does he compare to other keepers you have had in the last few years? 
I see you had Connor Ripley a while back and obviously Russell Grifiths last season and this coming season. How would he measure up to them? I saw Ripley play for Oldham last season and he looked classy. 
Thanks in advance. Be looking out yo see how you guys get on this season with your new signings particularly Craig Tanner who was at Wimbledon for a while. 

Not as good as Ripley but saved us massively when we needed him, probably roughly the same ability as griffiths imo

Decent enough keeper when he was with us and would only imagine he's got better since. Probably not as good as Ripley but 80146291672581 times better than Samson.

Ryan Bowman for the golden boot this year then aye? 

In all seriousness, given McDonald's away and Moult's dodgy groin seems to be playing up again it would be good if Bowman could take some form and confidence into the start of this season to give us another good option up top. There were several games last season where I thought he looked a handful but just seemed to lack confidence in front of goal, if he gets a decent run in the League Cup and gets a few goals early doors could we see a different player next season? To me he always looked like someone that just needed a break and never really got one last season, his terrific looping header in stoppage time against St.Johnstone hitting the inside of the post and somehow coming back out kinda sums up his time for us so far. 

Never made it tonight but from what I've heard we looked a bit sharper as you'd expect, with Dembele putting in another good showing at the back. Interested to hear how Bigirimana looked outside his goal as well.

Edited by Casagolda

So as per Del's post above going by Robinson's post-match we're putting deals to both Kipre and Dembele though apparently there are English clubs also interested in the latter. He's hoping of getting decisions soon, I think it was Kipre he said he hoped to hear from tomorrow. Also says he still wants a striker with pace, doesn't mention Tuton in the interview (I don't think) so I'd take from that that we're probably not going to follow up the interest.

Again, he's clear about having to move a couple of players out before he can do much.

Highlights below, lovely finish from Bowman btw:

Edited by capt_oats

1 hour ago, Casagolda said:

Ryan Bowman for the golden boot this year then aye? 

In all seriousness, given McDonald's away and Moult's dodgy groin seems to be playing up again it would be good if Bowman could take some form and confidence into the start of this season to give us another good option up top. There were several games last season where I thought he looked a handful but just seemed to lack confidence in front of goal, if he gets a decent run in the League Cup and gets a few goals early doors could we see a different player next season? To me he always looked like someone that just needed a break and never really got one last season, his terrific looping header in stoppage time against St.Johnstone hitting the inside of the post and somehow coming back out kinda sums up his time for us so far.

If he scores a few in Pre-season, I guess it's imperative that he gets to lead the line against Queens Park to try to take it into competitive games regardless of which other strikers are available. He's probably been written off (by some) a wee bit early and if Moult is behind everyone else in terms of fitness, he may well get his chance..