Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

I don't think it's anything we've ever experienced in the past. I don't know if we've ever had someone sign a pre-contract with a non-Old Firm divisional rival at this point in the season.

Even when Gallagher signed his with Aberdeen with a small part of the season still to go, by that point they were confirmed top six and we were confirmed bottom six, so it's not like it directly affected us.

The cynic in me thinks Watt definitely had a part to play in the story getting to the press, given they reported before either club did - or even before anyone from either club had a quote on the matter.

The thing for me is, if us and Dundee Utd are both in the top six (appreciate there's a lot of football still to be played before that would happen), would you trust Watt to try his heart out against Dundee Utd? Or against anyone else if they need us to drop points? That bit I'm not so sure, I'm sure he would have professional pride, but would he have that bit between his teeth that can sometimes be the difference? 

1 minute ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

The thing for me is, if us and Dundee Utd are both in the top six (appreciate there's a lot of football still to be played before that would happen), would you trust Watt to try his heart out against Dundee Utd? Or against anyone else if they need us to drop points? That bit I'm not so sure, I'm sure he would have professional pride, but would he have that bit between his teeth that can sometimes be the difference? 

Apart from the short term goal to finish as high as possible this season, we are signing players on longer contracts now and as time goes on, the imperative to pick players that will be here next season becomes more important. By the end of the season, we want to be playing the core of next season's team and Watt isn't part of that obviously - so he needs to be taking a back seat at some point.

If he's still here, he 100% shouldn't be playing against Utd for the same reasons that loanees don't play against their parent club.

1 hour ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

The cynic in me thinks Watt definitely had a part to play in the story getting to the press, given they reported before either club did - or even before anyone from either club had a quote on the matter.

Tbh, I'd be inclined to put the 'leak' at United's door. Both Asghar and Courts seem like absolute worstcunts and the whole thing has had the feel of them trying to put a heavy lean on the situation.

I said it the other week but the fact that Scott Burns broke the story just before we had a game feels like it was designed to be disruptive. There's an argument that United would have potentially benefited if we'd dropped Watt and lost against Livi. If it had just been about leverage for him to potentially move in January 'leaking' after the Livi game would have had the same effect.

Edited by capt_oats

On 08/01/2022 at 10:45, ropy said:

My hopes for Robinson was for him to be with us for 10 years, build 3 or 4 teams and ride out the rough and the smooth and top it with a cup.  A 21st century Tommy McLean.  My allegiances have switched to Alexander.

It’s happening, almost halfway there 

Good bit of business from the club as vultures are probably circling. Don't think they'll stop, but we'll get a bit of extra wedge.

A wage increase for GA and Lucketti and I'd be surprised if the deal didn't include a release clause to fulfill ambitions. It''ll be based on an interested club meeting certain criteria (size, league, compo demands).

We get on paper his continued service, a bit more security and a higher payout if he goes. This was my main aim for this window and didn't think it would actually happen.

Really is excellent news. Possibly the best bit of business the club will do this year and we are only 10 days in ! 

As pointed out. If he continues this success then he will be much sought after for sure. Gives the club some protection in terms of compensation.

Will be a real battle to finish top 5/6 especially with Hibs doubling the size of their squad 🤔

14 hours ago, Kapowzer said:

If any of you may have missed the post I made in the Tinpot page, here is our illustrious cup winning captain going full tinfoil helmet in the "on brand" historical grievance/victims/oppression rant. (4 mins in).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EK7IKO5ekzo&t=240s

I can't think of someone at many other clubs who had such success now reviled as much as Tom is now with us.

f**k me, no wonder the guy turned off the comments in that video.

3 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

f**k me, no wonder the guy turned off the comments in that video.

Yeah I think their contention is their 110ish pieces of silverwear were all achieved against the odds. Bless them.

I'm a friend of the son in law of the former head of refereeing and he conveyed that regardless of result, every Monday morning there would be a letter from them citing grievances and perceived injustices. No doubt to condition the SFA a bit like Pavlov's dog.

I'm guessing none of those interviewed were at the League Cup Final in 2017. Selective grievances and whataboutery .... as I said, very much on brand.

Best bit of business we will do all window. Kind of getting that feeling that both he and the club are invested in each other. Small excitement too that by his transfers so far that we can actually trust him to buy players for real fees (don’t remember that feeling) seen it slightly cone into play over last few years. However with a debt free club it allows us to make some hopefully bigger improvements on the park.

I skimmed by the club's Tweet as I thought it was just mentioning that Alexander had been here for a year. Didn't realise he'd signed a contract extension until reading this thread. It really is a great bit of business but if we keep going the way we are we'll be lucky to keep Alexander until 2025.

It's pretty standard chairman spiel, especially after a manager's contract extension but I thought this point from McMahon rings true:

“The board will continue to back him to help us achieve our goals both on and off the pitch.”

Link

I've mentioned it a couple of times but when you look at the number of staff additions that have been made since Alexander got the job (most of them having had a previous connection) it's fair to say that he's been backed and it seems like there's a mutual buy in at the club between board and manager.

Also, I guess if we're making a pitch to players to sign up on longer term contracts it's probably an easier sell if they see that the manager has a similar commitment.

I know Alexander's not been for everyone but if you take his first year as a complete body of work rather than focusing on individual games or results then it's difficult to argue with the job he's done and the rebuild he's overseen.

5 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

It's pretty standard chairman spiel, especially after a manager's contract extension but I thought this point from McMahon rings true:

I've mentioned it a couple of times but when you look at the number of staff additions that have been made since Alexander got the job (most of them having had a previous connection) it's fair to say that he's been backed and it seems like there's a mutual buy in at the club between board and manager.

Also, I guess if we're making a pitch to players to sign up on longer term contracts it's probably an easier sell if they see that the manager has a similar commitment.

I know Alexander's not been for everyone but if you take his first year as a complete body of work rather than focusing on individual games or results then it's difficult to argue with the job he's done and the rebuild he's overseen.

The major blot in his copy book was the entire league cup debacle in the summer. That aside he's done some job turning us around. 

Also the fact he's actually going out and taking the game to folk helps now. Not sure I could handle playing ultra defensive football at home every single week.