Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Makes sense to a degree but at the time the PCA was announced (Xmas eve was it) I can recall enough on here questioning Watt's further involvement past last night in C&A. Certainly not a universal "I don't think there's anyone on this thread ......"

I've no desire nor inclination to scroll back and call out.

Sour grapes and a few jilted lover experiences probably as you say fuelled a bit of it. But I can remember writing a post saying that there was nothing to worry about regarding his professionalism if he did stay no doubt in reply to the "get him tae" brigade.

3 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Like others I'd have quite liked another centre forward in but looking round the league it's difficult to see any of the specific type of player who moved that makes me think "that could have been us". Doidge stays at Hibs, Sam Cosgrove kb'd Dundee (not an exclusive club I grant you) and ended up at AFC Wimbledon...so on and so forth.

Sorry for quoting myself but having thought about it a bit there's one that I'd have taken who ended up at another club...

IMG_2571.JPG

Edited by capt_oats

20 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Sorry for quoting myself but having thought about it a bit there's one that I'd have taken who ended up at another club...

IMG_2571.JPG

You're better than this, Capt! 

Were we actually that bad?

Away to a St Mirren side who’ve won 3 games on the bounce since the break and had a weeks rest before tonight. We had more possession than them, twice as many shots on goal, more than double the shots on target etc.

Like aye it wasn’t a great game of football or anything but we were nowhere near as bad as people are trying to make out and more than worth a point.

32 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

Away to a St Mirren side who’ve won 3 games on the bounce since the break and had a weeks rest before tonight. We had more possession than them, twice as many shots on goal, more than double the shots on target etc.

Like aye it wasn’t a great game of football or anything but we were nowhere near as bad as people are trying to make out and more than worth a point.

Some finish from wee Rossi anaw.

Edited by capt_oats

7 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

In the grand scheme of things, where we grab a point in injury time, against a team in good form; no. 

However; this game, and the three previous have this lingering feeling that we are a better side than we're showing, and it's something that has been hanging around Alexander for most of his time with us. We've invested more heavily in this team than in almost any other since perhaps McGhee? Or McCall's highland shopping spree? Happy to be proven wrong, but it certainly feels that we've got much more money in this team than any Robinson team, but it doesn't necessarily feel like that watching them.

It's also felt, more or less since the Premier Sports Cup games, that we are a bit of a work in progress, which was fine and I guess is fine because we're 4th so who gives a f**k, but it's also now February so maybe we should feel a bit more polished and finished for the run in, to me. We just don't look like scoring, or that we know what to do when we reach the 18 yard box.

5 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

I kinda take your point and overall I probably agree with you. It's just infuriating watching so many examples of us making a complete arse of the basics, which leads to promising passages of play completely breaking down....underhit passes, over hit passes....2/3/4 yards too wide of the intended target....trying ridiculous things when they either aren't on or there are option on with better percentages, the refusal to keep it simple when it either should be, or in dangerous areas of the pitch.

I think your point is actually probably spot on....and the reason it's so frustrating is you can see that we're almost actually decent, just for it to fall to bits when someone can't pass a ball 10 yards.

I think performances like tonight and against Hibs are alright in isolation- even 2-0 at Tynecastle is fairly respectable- it's just a bit of a pisser that we keep failing to win given the tough way the fixtures have fallen and the fact we got scudded in Dingwall.

Still though, scenes at the end, and we're still hanging on in 4th. Hopefully Spring is a bit more fun than Winter.

I don’t necessarily disagree with the points either @Al B or @thisGRAEMEare making.

I thought after the 6-1 drubbing by Rangers on Halloween things seems to really click for us and outside of the Dens Park disaster, we were looking like a pretty decent side in November and December. 

The winter break coupled with the loss of Watt seems to have interpreted our momentum somewhat and we look like we’re struggling to find the right balance at the minute. As has been said, there’s definite shades of the 19/20 season when we lost Cole and Scott in January. 

On the bright side, Tierney looks a top talent and him combining with Woolery tonight is hopefully a sign of things to come. It also shows a strength in depth we didn’t have back then when we were bringing on the likes of Manzinga, MacIver and Ilic. 

It definitely feels like we do have a decent group of players that aren’t quite being utilised to their best at the minute and I suppose it’s really on Alexander to find the right shape/balance to fix that. 

Edited by Casagolda

8 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

Tierney looks a top talent and him combining with Woolery tonight is hopefully a sign of things to come.

He's obviously quite raw and adjusting to the league (and looks like he should be playing for the under-15s) but I like Tierney's attitude. Not afraid to give the more established lads a bit of verbal, runs about like a wee dynamo and presses the opposition well. Plus he can play a bit!

They're different types of players, but there's a wee bit of Alan Campbell in the way he's beginning to assert himself in games.

Tierney scoring means that all our forward players have scored and won’t have the Alex Fisher/Jordan White complex.

I am still of the opinion that this year is a transition year and the benefits will be when a ‘settled’ squad starts next season

Today’s formation saw a lot of congestion in the middle of the park, the players were almost too close to each other for them to pick out a pass and there weren’t the usual 3 targets up ahead to lump it forward to, this resulted in a lot of, well, nothing and pass backs.  Was it a practice for Sunday?  Stifle the game?

I didn't like the starting formation tonight but I still think there is a decent team in there somewhere if we can work it out. I thought we were better on Saturday but tonight we looked comfortable and I was gutted when we conceded.

I've been saying similar to @Al B for a couple of weeks - we make a lot of sloppy mistakes in amongst some decent play that are either leading to opposition chances that they don't need to work for or killing some good attacking play.  We need to make better decisions, especially in the final third.

I'm definitely aboard the Tierney Hype Express because he is constantly trying to play clever wee passes, takes up really good positions in the box and he gets stuck in - I think when other players get tuned into him, we could have something very decent on our hands.

Looking at the BBC league table (discounting the OF as they are on a different planet), only 2 teams have outperformed us in the league in the past 5 games (St Mirren - 8 points and Livvy - 6). We're on 5 and everyone else is equal or worse. Even though it is just turned into Feb, surely we can't shithouse our way to a European spot due to others round about us having no oomph.