Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

We have found the new market inefficiency, which is to just ride the wave of everyone else being shite. In a few years time we will be in Moneyball 2. My favorite bit will be the backroom staff fielding offers for Lamie and pishing themselves.

It's always funny when you watch a game and just have a totally different perspective from the manager and a section of the support.

I honestly thought last night, similar to last week was turgid. I don't know how anyone can argue with a straight face that we deserved 3 points from that. I get the manager has to talk us up and stuff but sometimes it feels like I'm watching a totally different game.

I wouldn't say I'm a footballing purist by any means but I honestly just find games like that hard to watch or get any sort of enjoyment from. I actually liked our 1st half display against Hearts at the weekend more than those last two Wednesday games.

I'm worried the 541 or whatever that was is a sign of things to come and maybe explains why we have rercruited another defender. Not looking forward to seeing us camped in our own half on Sunday

9 hours ago, Kapowzer said:

Looking at the BBC league table (discounting the OF as they are on a different planet), only 2 teams have outperformed us in the league in the past 5 games (St Mirren - 8 points and Livvy - 6). We're on 5 and everyone else is equal or worse. Even though it is just turned into Feb, surely we can't shithouse our way to a European spot due to others round about us having no oomph.

Sure we can.

wat is life

25 minutes ago, Luke92 said:

I'm worried the 541 or whatever that was is a sign of things to come and maybe explains why we have rercruited another defender. Not looking forward to seeing us camped in our own half on Sunday

To be fair, we could line up 4-2-4 on Sunday and we'll still be camped in our own half for most of the game.  Celtic are much, much better than we are.  

I've said plenty on my feelings towards GA's brand of football at Motherwell, but I'm as fickle as every other football fan.  If we shitfest our way to a European spot, I'll take it! 

There's parallels to be drawn between Robinson's Thunderdome and Alexander's Murderball. Both are tremendous when we thump someone out a game and crash in headers. However when they don't work they are atrocious to watch and we are incredibly stodgy. 

As it stands relying on KVV as the main striker when he's currently bang out of form is hard going. Tierney looks handy though. Hopefully we can get a tune out of American Joe. 

I think we done enough to be worthy of the point, it was a terrible game of football that we didn't deserve to lose. St mirren were worse than us though. 

Mcginley defensively is okay, he still gives me the fear with how slow he does everything but his use of the ball is terrible, kills any attacks dead. The amount of aimless clips up the line that are over hit is mental. Putting balls up in the air for TIerney to compete for beggers belief. 

our use of the ball last night was very poor, at Tynecastle we moved it reasonably well, last night was littered with mistakes, misplaced passes, but it was one of those games, both teams were just as bad for it.

on Van Veen, since he seems to be the go to for the Twitter crowd now, the service he gets is absolutely terrible, feeding off scraps for 90 minutes. The quality into him isn't good enough.

anyway, another GW ticked off, still in 4th, a very tough run of fixtures coming up now. which weirdly seems to be where we pick up points.

11 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

There's parallels to be drawn between Robinson's Thunderdome and Alexander's Murderball. Both are tremendous when we thump someone out a game and crash in headers. However when they don't work they are atrocious to watch and we are incredibly stodgy. 

As it stands relying on KVV as the main striker when he's currently bang out of form is hard going. Tierney looks handy though. Hopefully we can get a tune out of American Joe. 

My hope is that he's really reckless with possession, just so I can break out my Sloppy Joe gag.  

12 minutes ago, Neil86 said:

anyway, another GW ticked off, still in 4th, a very tough run of fixtures coming up now. which weirdly seems to be where we pick up points.

Sort of related to that, last night was the conclusion of the 2nd round of fixtures and we took two more points from that set than the first. Scored one fewer and conceded one more.

R1:
01/08 - Hibs (h) 2-3 (L) = 0
08/08 - St Johnstone (a) 1-1 (X) = 1
21/08 - Livingston (a) 1-2 (W) = 3
28/08 - Dundee (h) 1-0 (W) = 3
11/09 - Aberdeen (h) 2-0 (W) = 3
19/09 - Rangers (a) 1-1 (X) = 1
25/09 - Ross County (h) 2-1 (W) = 3
02/10 - Hearts (a) 2-0 (L) = 0
16/10 - Celtic (h) 0-2 (L) = 0
23/10 - Dundee Utd (a) 2-1 (L) = 0
27/10 - St Mirren (h) 2-2 (X) = 1

Total = 15 points - P 11 W 4 D 3 L 4 F 14 A 15

R2:
31/10 - Rangers (h) 1-6 (L) = 0
06/11 - Aberdeen (a) 0-2 (W) = 3
20/11 - Hearts (h) 2-0 (W) = 3
27/11 - Dundee (a) 3-0 (L) = 0
30/11 - Dundee Utd (h) 1-0 (W) = 3
04/12 - Hibs (a) 1-1 (X) = 1
12/12 - Celtic (a) 1-0 (L) = 0
18/12 - St Johnstone (h) 2-0 (W) = 3
26/12 - Livingston (h) 2-1 (W) = 3
18/01 - Ross County (a) 3-1 (L) = 0
01/02 - St Mirren (a) 1-1 (X) = 1

Total = 17 points - P 11 W 5 D 2 L 4 F 13 A 16

R3:
26/01 - Hibs (h) 0-0 (X) = 1
29/01 - Hearts (a) 2-0 (L) = 0

Total = 1 point - P 2 W 0 D 1 L 1 F 0 A 2

Edited by capt_oats

4 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

Just watching the highlights back and that is a smashing finish from Tierney. Also the movement to find that space away from the defenders was outstanding. If only there was some continental European term for someone who appears to be a space investigator.

giphy.gif

48 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Sort of related to that, last night was the conclusion of the 2nd round of fixtures and we took two more points from that set than the first. Scored one fewer and conceded one more.

R1:
01/08 - Hibs (h) 2-3 (L) = 0
08/08 - St Johnstone (a) 1-1 (X) = 1
21/08 - Livingston (a) 1-2 (W) = 3
28/08 - Dundee (h) 1-0 (W) = 3
11/09 - Aberdeen (h) 2-0 (W) = 3
19/09 - Rangers (a) 1-1 (X) = 1
25/09 - Ross County (h) 2-1 (W) = 3
02/10 - Hearts (a) 2-0 (L) = 0
16/10 - Celtic (h) 0-2 (L) = 0
23/10 - Dundee Utd (a) 2-1 (L) = 0
27/10 - St Mirren (h) 2-2 (X) = 1

Total = 15 points - P 11 W 4 D 3 L 4 F 14 A 15

R2:
31/10 - Rangers (h) 1-6 (L) = 0
06/11 - Aberdeen (a) 0-2 (W) = 3
20/11 - Hearts (h) 2-0 (W) = 3
27/11 - Dundee (a) 3-0 (L) = 0
30/11 - Dundee Utd (h) 1-0 (W) = 3
04/12 - Hibs (a) 1-1 (X) = 1
12/12 - Celtic (a) 1-0 (L) = 0
18/12 - St Johnstone (h) 2-0 (W) = 3
26/12 - Livingston (h) 2-1 (W) = 3
18/01 - Ross County (a) 3-1 (L) = 0
01/02 - St Mirren (a) 1-1 (X) = 1

Total = 17 points - P 11 W 5 D 2 L 4 F 13 A 16

R3:
26/01 - Hibs (h) 0-0 (X) = 1
29/01 - Hearts (a) 2-0 (L) = 0

Total = 1 point - P 2 W 0 D 1 L 1 F 0 A 2

Aye, that feels about right to me.

Obviously it is right...but you know what I mean....we won games we didn't expect to and lost or drew some we expected to on the other hand. Kind of just a continuation from 1st to 2nd round. 

You love to see it.

Obviously a once in a generation fee for Turnbull was the main thing but I'm happy to say that in the time that I've watched us, this current fan-owned era is (by some considerable distance) the best the club has been run.

Fwiw the statement from McMahon on the official site about the whole thing is v.good and worth a read to get the full picture.

Over £4m in the bank lads...

At the end of the financial year at 31 May 2021, and despite all the challenges created by the pandemic, the balance sheet shows we are in a strong financial position with significant net assets and over £4m of bank funds.

I hope Joe will become "Vibrator-in-chief"

It would certainly make his significant other very happy.

Regarding the profit 
"The biggest factor in the profit for the financial year is generated in player registration gains, made up almost entirely of our initial fee from Celtic for David Turnbull. That transfer deal, a total that will most probably end as being at least double our previous record sale, also contains several add-ons, one of which has already been achieved during the 2021/22 season. It also includes the opportunity to retain future economic rights, should the player’s career continue to blossom."

So the transfer happened long enough ago that I can't remember the terms - do we have any idea about the triggers, and the sell-on clause that this seemingly refers to?

I take it a fair part of the £4m in the bank will be the Govt loan?
Mind you its 0% and repayable over 20 years, so a convenient source of liquidity.
I'm also assuming Celtic didn't pay a lump sum for DT either, so would expect future installments to be received there etc.

39 minutes ago, Richie said:

I take it a fair part of the £4m in the bank will be the Govt loan?
Mind you its 0% and repayable over 20 years, so a convenient source of liquidity.
I'm also assuming Celtic didn't pay a lump sum for DT either, so would expect future installments to be received there etc.

That's in the part that @RostokMcSpoons quoted:

The biggest factor in the profit for the financial year is generated in player registration gains, made up almost entirely of our initial fee from Celtic for David Turnbull. That transfer deal, a total that will most probably end as being at least double our previous record sale, also contains several add-ons, one of which has already been achieved during the 2021/22 season. It also includes the opportunity to retain future economic rights, should the player’s career continue to blossom.

Taking that statement at face value, given the previous record was £1.75m for O'Donnell to Celtic we're looking at "at least" £3.5m for Turnbull once all add-ons have been triggered that's before we consider any sell-on should he move.

The Government loan was £2,959,000 so it'd give us £1,041,000 non-SG loan funds in the bank (which is roughly where we were in the accounts for 19/20 (£1.2m)).

Also related and significant re: "the strategy"...we've generated over £6m in fees in the past 5 financial years.

Over the last five financial years, the player registration gains generated by the club have been £6.2m. Whilst player registration gains are not incorporated within the club’s operating revenue, they form an integral part of the financial results and strategy, and influence budget decisions such as setting the staff budget. The two-pronged approach of generating income through player recruitment and development, together with academy promotion, will continue to form the spine of our model for the future.

Edited by capt_oats