Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

1 hour ago, Archie McSquackle said:
2 hours ago, Swami said:
I mind driving to Dundee for the Scottish Cup 3rd (4th?) round through the snow to play them when they were in the Championship, listening all the way up to how this was the biggest chance of a shock because Leigh Griffiths was the next big thing and was going to destroy us. Cue us strolling to a 4-0 win and him getting sent off for nearly removing Stevie Hammell’s legs. 

f**k Leigh Griffiths, the creepy wee twat. 

I crashed the car in the snow somewhere in Cumbernauld on my way to that game. Still made it and was also at the England game Busta mentioned. Even with that it would be a no from me.

Also, Dundee are outspending us so if he has declined their offer why would he sign with us, a no on many levels for me.

Less about Griffiths specifically and more a general point but that's Alexander had two windows so far (I think we'd all largely agree that he probably had very little input in the January when he arrived with the likes of Lawleff, Big Harry Smith, Eddie Nolan et al).

It's a relatively small sample (compared with Robinson) but kind of feels like we've moved on from that 'redemption arc' / 'picked off the scrapheap' profile that we'd occasionally lean into under Robinson. It's probably fair to say that it got to a point where we'd have a good idea of what a Robinson signing would look like before they'd even signed, that profile still seems a bit less defined with Alexander.

Summer 21:

• Connor Shields (23) - 3 years
  • Justin Amaluzor (24) - 1 year
  • Kaiyne Woolery (26) - 3 years
  • Kevin Van Veen (30) - 2 years
  • Liam Kelly (25) - 3 years
  • Darragh O'Connor (21) - 1 year
  • Mich'el Parker (22) - 6 months
  • Callum Slattery (22) - 3 years
  • Juhani Ojala (32) - 2 years
  • Sean Goss (25) - 2 years
  • Sondre Solholm Johansen (26) - 3 years

January 22:

• Ross Tierney (20) - 3.5 years
  • Jordan Roberts (27) - 6 months
  • Victor Nirennold (30) - 6 months
  • Joe Efford (25) - 1.5 years

15 players in total and Mich'el Parker left after his short term deal expired.

Fwiw: I've dropped the 55 different players Robinson signed in the 3.5 years he was at the club in the spoiler:

Spoiler

17/18
Alex Fisher, Gael Bigirimana, Craig Tanner, Trevor Carson, Andy Rose, Russell Griffiths, Charles Dunne, Cedric Kipre, George Newell, Ellis Plummer, Rohan Ferguson, Deimantas Petravičius, Liam Grimshaw, Gennadios Xenodochof, Curtis Main, Peter Hartley (loan)/(permanent), Nadir Ciftci (loan), Tom Aldred (loan) x 2, Stephen Hendrie (loan)

Total = 19

18/19
Mark Gillespie, Liam Donnelly, Danny Johnson, Aaron Taylor-Sinclair, Alex Rodriguez-Gorrin, Christian Mbulu, Conor Sammon (loan), Ross McCormack (loan), Gboly Ariyibi (loan)

Total = 9

19/20
Declan Gallagher, Liam Polworth, Jake Carroll, Casper Sloth, Jermaine Hylton, Christopher Long, Sherwin Seedorf, Christian Ilic, Christy Manzinga, Ross MacIver, Bevis Mugabi, Tony Watt, Harry Robinson, Devante Cole (loan)/permanent, Mark O'Hara (loan/permanent), Mikael Ndjoli (loan), Rolando Aarons (loan) 

Total = 17

20/21
Ricki Lamie, Jordan White, Nathan McGinley, Scott Fox, Stephen O'Donnell, Aaron Chapman, Jordan Archer, Jake Hastie (loan), Callum Lang (loan), Robbie Crawford (loan)

Total = 10

So all in we've signed 55 different players over 3.5 seasons.

Edited by capt_oats

20 hours ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

mpira wa kuvunja

(I may have tested Google Translate to the breaking point there)

I've been very disappointed by the lack of response to this. 
Then I thought ... perhaps no-one recognises a bit of Swahili when they see it.
And then I thought, perhaps I should reverse translate it, make sure it Google Translate had done a decent job...

image.png.b4e6343309e8664d535b37afe74bc29d.png

It seems "Wrecking Ball" doesn't quite translate.  But he can break balls as much as likes (in a Soprano's sense, not literally of course*)
Alternatively, I  give you the German "Abrissbirne"  and Spanish "Bola de Demolición" for your consideration

*Scott Brown excepted

1 hour ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Desperate for a video of the Bevis volley from the other night. At the time it looked like genuinely smashing technique, but seems like neither the BBC/SPFL have picked it up in their highlights. Censorship, no doubt. 

I've seen it - it might have been the Sky highlights or the club review of the game type video.

1 hour ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Desperate for a video of the Bevis volley from the other night. At the time it looked like genuinely smashing technique, but seems like neither the BBC/SPFL have picked it up in their highlights. Censorship, no doubt. 

I was sure I had seen it but possibly just in my dreams 

The results today have been both very helpful as well as terrible.

Neither Hibs, Dundee United and Aberdeen have pick up full points but on the other hand it leaves us only 6 points ahead of 10th Ross County.

Screenshot_20220205-165734_Chrome.thumb.jpg.371b6a20b78a4c93875726ac16e0b992.jpg

if we win against Celtic (nice Joke) then that can help widen the gap whilst the teams below us will have to play each other. Lose and we are dangerously getting close to lossing a top 6 finish. 

We really need to get something out of tomorrow and begin picking up the victories.

Edited by Phillips455

The table is just starting to show what we all know, which is that there's nothing between most of the teams in the league. We could easily see 4th to 10th flip by the split.

Our tactic of letting the teams around us be shite has backfired. We really should have used the tried and trusted tactic of winning games against the teams below us.

I mean, I get the anxiety but it's probably worth mentioning that we're unbeaten in our last 6 at home (only lost 1 in the last 8 - against Rangers) and have the 4th best home record in the league. We'll take our pumping tomorrow and still be 4th but really what matters is how we do in the remaining games against the teams below us - especially at home.

The only teams below us who have beaten us have been Hibs, United, Dundee and County. 3 of those 4 were away from home and the Hibs one was the opening day of the season.

267182615_ScreenShot2022-02-05at18_43_41.png.8f76fc330f331e45f49dc7400ff66ed9.png

Edited by capt_oats