Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

6 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

As for transfers, no idea. We had our much publicized change of heart in spending money and offering better contracts. Is there any reason why Slattery, Solholm, Ojala equivalents (in principle, ignore current form) won't be available again this summer? And Brexit might complicate things but it does open the door to the rest of the world, afaik, hence non-descript Americans who would never previously have got work permits appearing. Presumably there's a whole host of agents sending highlight reels to us thinking we're potential stepping stone to the Old Firm or England. 

That was my thought as well. I don't see any reason why we would change the profile of player we'd be looking at and given the way things have gone with the recruitment I don't see why we wouldn't be able to find similar value to someone like Slattery.

If anything, in principle, we should be in a better position to focus on targets as we're not looking at an entire overhaul of the squad. The word from the AGM was that as it stands we'd be looking at 5 max, right?

We've got 4 players on short term deals/loans heading out of contract or have signed a pre-contract elsewhere (Lamie, Nirennold, Shaw, Amaluzor, Roberts) that's before you factor in players who have been in the building longer term whose deals are up eg: Grimshaw, O'Hara and Donnelly.

11 hours ago, Gianfranco said:

I still don’t know if O’Hara is any good or not?

I said a bit further up the thread that he could have a testimonial and I would still be wondering if I rated him or not.

Other than the latter stages of his loan spell, just pre-covid, I'm not sure I've ever seen him have a consistent run of form. I'd still place him high up the list of underwhelming midfielders, but the fact he was a prime target for Robbo and we paid a nominal fee for him, that would probably tell me that he's on wages that are a bit high for the output he's given us over the past two seasons.

11 hours ago, Kapowzer said:

Isn’t there a quota on permits for foreigners if they don’t adhere to the criteria (internationalist etc)

Someone else probably knows better, but I think Scotland retained a panel to approve them rather than meeting criteria, so they'll just be waving them through.

19 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Someone else probably knows better, but I think Scotland retained a panel to approve them rather than meeting criteria, so they'll just be waving them through.

There was a bit in The Athletic back in December.

"Scottish football has been handed a transfer boost, with clubs in the country told they will continue to be exempt from changes to post-Brexit work permit rules.

After the UK left the European Union (EU) last December, new entry requirements for players joining UK clubs from overseas were brought in.

The Scottish football authorities, however, have averted these rules after the UK government decided to keep the Exceptions Panel.

The Exceptions Panel can grant a Governing Body Endorsement (GBE) to those players who are short of meeting the criteria. The GBE operates on a points-based system which considers: international appearances, quality of the selling club and club appearances.

Scottish clubs have relied on the Exceptions Panel to obtain work permits for overseas players who did not meet the criteria of the points-based system."

Link

Edited by capt_oats

I'd definitely keep O'Hara. Don't get me wrong, he's firmly in the "does a job" category but that's more than can be said for a few of our midfielders.

Donnelly's purple patch at the start of the 19/20 season has very much been the exception rather than the rule as far as his time with us goes. He's obviously been injured but looks well off the pace and has done for some time. Goss offers nothing as far as I'm concerned other than the odd good set piece. Both of them should be out the door before O'Hara.

7 hours ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

I said a bit further up the thread that he could have a testimonial and I would still be wondering if I rated him or not.

Other than the latter stages of his loan spell, just pre-covid, I'm not sure I've ever seen him have a consistent run of form. I'd still place him high up the list of underwhelming midfielders, but the fact he was a prime target for Robbo and we paid a nominal fee for him, that would probably tell me that he's on wages that are a bit high for the output he's given us over the past two seasons.

See this is broadly where I am.

No hate on O'Hara from me, I totally get that he's been noticeable in our current midfield and he's not Sean Goss. 

I was just a bit surprised to find there seems to be a bit of an active "Give Mark O'Hara a new contract" bandwagon on the go amongst certain sections of Motherwell Twitter or that there seemed to be surprise he hadn't been offered anything formally given until recently he hadn't kicked a baw for us since mid-November.

Presumably it's after the interview that went up on the official last week saying "I have not been offered anything as such yet but I am obviously trying to play well to earn it." and people are clutching their pearls as is the wont amongst our fanbase.

Fwiw, given the game time he's getting I'd imagine he'll probably be offered a new deal (along with Donnelly). Whether he signs it is a different story as you say, I'd imagine the deal he got when Robinson pushed to sign him would put him at the higher end of the wage scale - I'm not sure that after 3 seasons his value now matches that when Robinson was looking to make him permanent.

IIRC Goodwin was after him at St Mirren when we signed him permanently as well - so we had a bit of competition there.

Tbh, now Mugabi's signed up it kind of feels like where we were at the end of 18/19 with folk like Main, Frear, McHugh etc all heading out of contract and we were doing that wee dance of not wanting to look like we were binning them off but not willing to match what they'd likely get elsewhere.

Edited by capt_oats

Reliably informed that in January St Johnstone enquired about O' Hara and that  we we were willing to let him move .

O'Hara rejected the move arguing that he wanted to fight for his place at FP .

Whilst this attitude should endear him to the fan base it's a bit worrying that management are seemingly unconvinced re his future with us.

4 hours ago, Marinello said:

Reliably informed that in January St Johnstone enquired about O' Hara and that  we we were willing to let him move .

O'Hara rejected the move arguing that he wanted to fight for his place at FP .

Whilst this attitude should endear him to the fan base it's a bit worrying that management are seemingly unconvinced re his future with us.

It was confirmed a while back that he'd had offers in the January window and he'd kb'd them so that's not really a secret as such. Interesting to hear St Johnstone were one of the clubs.

"He looked great in training yesterday (Monday) and he was flying around. That was great. I spoke to him in January as a couple of clubs wanted to take him.

"He decided he wanted to stay here and fight for his place. That was brilliant for me to hear as we know how good a player Mark is."

Link

If it was St Johnstone then at the end of the January window we were sitting 4th, they were bottom - doesn't seem too tough a decision to patch their enquiry and hold off to see where things stand at the end of the season when he's OOC. The fact we signed Shaw (originally a St Johnstone target IIRC) makes a bit more sense if there was the possibility that O'Hara might move though.

Given the amount of football O'Hara's missed while he's been with us it wouldn't be too much of a surprise that we left the decision to him in terms of what he wanted to do.

To put it in context O'Hara's missed 31 of Alexander's 58 games in charge (but started 18 of the 27 he's been available with 8 sub appearances and 1 unused sub).

For comparison Donnelly (who didn't play a single game for GA last season) has missed 30 of 58 (started 18, subbed on 4, unused sub in 5 and suspended 1).

Edited by capt_oats

2 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

So Alexander was happy for him to leave, then as soon as he was fit against. started him 5 games on the trot? Becoming increasing convinced he has no fucking plan for this team.

He'd also emptied Lamie out the match day squads until deciding to play him out of position against the club he's signed for on a pre-contract.

Absolutely cannot wait to see what he's got in store for us tomorrow. 

Did Lamie not play against Rangers and have a pretty good game, then played against county before playing Dundee?

It's also possible we were resigned to losing O'Hara based on others leaving and he surprised us by staying.

2 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

So Alexander was happy for him to leave, then as soon as he was fit against. started him 5 games on the trot? Becoming increasing convinced he has no fucking plan for this team.

I don't think that's necessarily the case.

After he'd come back in the summer Alexander had started him 8 of the 11 league league games before his latest injury. I don't think there's anything that suggests Alexander doesn't rate him. Alexander has had him involved in all but one of the games he's been fit.

There's a difference between him being happy for him to leave and letting him know there had been enquiries and asking what his plans were.

42 minutes ago, rowsdower said:

Did Lamie not play against Rangers and have a pretty good game, then played against county before playing Dundee?

Aye, Lamie came on as a sub in both games against Aberdeen then started against Rangers and County.

I just assumed he'd been out the squad on account of the injury he picked up against Hibs in December rather than any emptying being done.

115825299_ScreenShot2022-03-12at22_42_08.thumb.png.82a1ff978a8a93c7e140db947f105616.png

Edited by capt_oats

10 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

After allegedly being happy to see Watt go in the summer, despite him being our best player for 18 months, and then see him go on to be the league's top scorer?

Sounds about right.