Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

I asked a question on this thread a few months ago querying what was the ideal age to take yer wean along to the football for the first time.

It looks like it'll be a few years yet for my wee boy...I'll be fucked if I'm taking him along to watch this fuckin' team!

He has now completely chucked both cups, is in the process of doing the same with a top six (and decent shout at Europe) place which looked certain at Xmas and is doing so while resolutely sticking to eye-bleeding football and team selections drawn from a hat.

I almost never call for us to bin the manager unless we're on the brink of going down but I really don't see how the board can trust him going into summer.

Oh geez peace. While I'm not happy with the starting line up suggesting Grezza is more to blame for how this tie has went over Collum is remarkable. Alexander can't be blamed for a couple of rushes of blood to heads or a referring team missing a handball. Where I do hold him accountable is persevering with McGinley/Carroll despite two transfer windows.

Your summary of where the board views his performance is far away from reality.

Ultimately he takes responsibility for the team and saying 'oh it was the ref' carries water in a one-off, not in the sort of run we're on.

If we don't turn it round in the league - and I would be delighted if we do but there's bugger all to suggest it - then the end of the season will be brutal and the knock on effect on season ticket sales will absolutely force the board to consider his position. I can't see how anyone will think otherwise.

Collum got the Mugabi incident 100% bang on.

50 minutes ago, Allroy for Prez said:

The early red card shouldn’t make Alexander exempt for getting slaughtered for his worst tombola starting 11 yet. 

The red card is masking the insanely bizarre squad rotation and line up changes.

Every fucking week it's the same.

But.. We never got to see how this week's madness would have went.

Reckon I could outpace him nae bather.
Team selection a shambles. Again. For the 20th game in a row.
Buzzing to not see Deano again til April.
Thought he was our best player today in difficult circumstances. Worked hard, pushed up, tackled and covered well too.

Alexander off the hook a little with the early red. But still a 5-2-3 or whatever the f**k the plan was today seemed mental.

It wouldn't feel so bad going out the cup or losing games if I had an idea of where we are heading as a team. 

At least if your seeing a system that just needs a few tweaks and 1 or 2 players brought in to make it work but by fcuk we are all over the place 

We have no settled formation apart from lumping the ball up the park and no idea of who is our best starting 11 . Cornelious will probably not play again for a few games despite being our best player today and Lamie who has at least showed a bit of consistency since the winter break will be playing in the Scottish Championship next season with another club whilst we extend contracts of guys like Fox and McGinlay.

He was determined not to lose the first goal as that what's marked the difference in our results since Christmas. The defence and midfield was a very defensive set up, otherwise you'd go with an out of form SOD and Carroll as they offer more in terms of natural wingbacks, speed and crossing ability.

I think it was designed to absorb till half time and see where we are. Hibs were not seen as that potent in front of goal. Roberts and Efford to drop deeper.

Yeah, you could argue 3-4-3 as he conveyed on the telly, however despite was Grezza said it was more a 5-4-1.

------Sol---Ojala---Lamie------

Mugabi ---------------McGinley

------Cornelius--Donnelly------

-Roberts ----------------Efford-

-------------KVV--------------

40 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Reckon I could outpace him nae bather.

Team selection a shambles. Again. For the 20th game in a row.

Buzzing to not see Deano again til April.

Runs like he's pulling several caravans.

It's the same every week. An hour before kick off we get to see whatever galaxy brain idea Graham Alexander has concocted during the week. Or at least we get the winners of the line up lucky dip listed to us and try and work out whether it's 3-4-3/3-5-2/5-2-2-1/whatever. We're at the run in to the split and I could not tell you who our best starting 11 is apart from that it's Liam Kelly and 10 other c***s.

Cornelius is an odd situation. Gets dropped into the starting 11 in hard games, puts a shift in then gets emptied for another 6 weeks.

9 minutes ago, Kapowzer said:

He was determined not to lose the first goal as that what's marked the difference in our results since Christmas. The defence and midfield was a very defensive set up, otherwise you'd go with an out of form SOD and Carroll as they offer more in terms of natural wingbacks, speed and crossing ability.

I think it was designed to absorb till half time and see where we are. Hibs were not seen as that potent in front of goal. Roberts and Efford to drop deeper.

Yeah, you could argue 3-4-3 as he conveyed on the telly, however despite was Grezza said it was more a 5-4-1.

------Sol---Ojala---Lamie------

Mugabi ---------------McGinley

------Cornelius--Donnelly------

-Roberts ----------------Efford-

-------------KVV--------------

I agree with your analysis of his thinking but he's tried this for ages - with the odd exception - and it's clearly not working.

If we lost those first goals because we were playing open attacking football it would be a logical change. We lose these goals because we (generally - as I said there have been exceptions) set out to do nothing but defend and only 'attack' with aimless punts up the park. It's then no surprise our weak defence and nervous players with zero confidence make mistakes.

It's like a golfer slicing his tee shot out the park, sticking down another ball and thinking I'll aim a wee bit left so it doesn't happen again. He duly wallops that out the park as well and decides to aim a wee bit further left again with attempt three, only for the same thing to happen. I've no idea how many balls our imaginary amateur golfer needs to blast out the park before the penny drops but in the real world Alexander is still hacking away.

I don't normally actually get that angry about us being shite, I accept it comes with the territory. I'm getting right wound up now though because we're so obviously under-performing when there's more there - both in terms of our own level and where we could end up in a season where Europe is there for the taking.

And that applies to the manager as well - Alexander can by and large motivate, organize and recruit perfectly well. There are a couple of aspects that need a little polishing but there's no reason he shouldn't be a perfectly solid manager for us other than his determination to prove insanity is not doing the same negative thing over and over again while expecting a different result.

Alexander’s going nowhere unfortunately. The seasons pretty much over unless we manage to turn around our away form and sneak into top six.

Mugabi is a red, doesn’t matter if it’s the first minute or not. Yet to see Ojala look like a footballer. Can’t control the ball with his feet or head and has absolutely no defensive awareness.

3 absolutely huge games in our season, all at home. Out the cup, beat off Ross County and dropped points to a strikerless Covid-ridden Dundee side who were bottom of the league.