Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Mikael Mandron absolutely sounds exactly like the sort of guy you'd expect to have multiple highlights videos with eurodance soundtracks up on YouTube but from a cursory glance there's nothing. Disappointing.

Tbh, I've mentioned this before but the #9 issue we have is that we have a clear and established first pick in KVV (and justifiably so given his goal return). From that POV, assuming we're sticking with Hammell's 4231 it means we're looking for cover but also someone who is at least good enough to provide a bit of competition.

It's a really fucking tough ask to get a guy in who's going to be fine with a pitch of "would you like to be a back-up striker at Motherwell?".

That's precisely why the punt on Moult made complete sense because he was in the position where he was looking to get game time after his various injuries. He wasn't expecting to start every week and we weren't expecting him to start every week. The fact that he could barely get on the park at all was where the plan fell over a bit.

I'm definitely not going overboard (given I've barely seen him kick a baw) but Mandron's a decent age (28), has good experience having bounced around the lower leagues with a flirtation with playing at a higher level (Wigan).

In a January window, for the squad role we're looking to fill then it's a punt that's worth taking.

Also, without wanting to jinx him he's also played over 2000 mins of football this season compared with Moult's 312'.

1841404353_Screenshot2023-01-13at17_57_19.thumb.png.fa5b122513a6de31ecbc58a7f55235f2.png
616255529_Screenshot2023-01-13at17_58_14.thumb.png.e3645e4859c8fac52b4edfdc9966eecc.png

Edited by capt_oats

Makes sense, at least. We've obviously decided that "BIG UNIT" or "GOALSCORER" is our striking aim. If we get a big unit, KVV is the goalscorer, if we get a goalscorer (a stockton type), KVV is our unit, I guess?

Flexible and sensible. Main was poor on the whole but we got a good turn out of him.

Interesting chat from Hammell in his presser, specifically the point at which he's asked about Danzaki at 2:26 mins.

The list [of players we're looking at] is long, it's a long list. It's dwindling down we've got a lot of targets that we really, really keen to progress....we're hoping to do more business in January. It's clear that we need to do that."

He's far more open about bringing players in than he has been previously. Which is nice.

Nice line when asked whether Burrows leaving would affect transfers "No. Hopefully it means we can do a little bit more."

Edited by capt_oats

I’m in the Gills forum and touched base for a heads up when we signed Slattery. Stayed around for a bit of Little England debates.

This was a comment:

“f**k me, he must have one hell of an agent to get a gig like that. I knew the SPL was weak, but bloody hell...“

UPDATE:

“Was Maldron a striker then?”

When aksed if he can’t a barn door with a banjo the reply was ….

”or win a header”

“Mandron did OK in his first spell with us.He may do OK as a back up striker. But when depending on him both Crewe and ourselves have been terrible up front. Hiding when things go badly is possibly the major problem.As a regular sub like in his first spell with us there is probably less pressure”

and at last kinda semi positive:

“I like Mika. I'm disappointed that he's gone. He's obviously got ability but has struggled in a team completely devoid of creativity and confidence.“

Edited by Kapowzer

2 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Thank goodness we don't have those issues

I wouldn’t say creativity is our issue, it’s wasteful, not ruthless and soft as shit.

Oh yeah and a defence at sea, protected by a midfield baw deep the ports whorehouses 

On 11/01/2023 at 07:57, Busta Nut said:

This is the main factor in guys not getting dropped. We have no one to replace them with. Shouts elsewhere for Lennon Miller and the other 16 yo guys to start are miles out.

I think we need to go back into plucking guys from the League 2/ National league pool. success rate seems like it was decent and even the failures weren't as bad. (or maybe I am feeling that nostalgia that folk seem to get, cos a fair few were baws also.)

Pleased to see the recruitment team are paying attention to @Busta Nut's advice here btw.

#influencer

A good striker whos just having a bad season, seems like.

In terms of a "second choice" striker (I think?) he seems a great punt.

Spoiler

min.thumb.png.ec8d018eeb60fbd77ccf59bc9882172e.png

Looks hard worker and a nuisance in the air. Been good on the ball too before this season, so high chance hes just in a system that doesn't like him, high aerial stuff potentially means Gillingham are trying to use him as a battering ram because "tall man win header" when thats not his game.

Having a browse through the big man's IG comments for his announcement (what a smile btw). Seems like he played with Jordan Roberts at Gillingham, Chris Porter and Chrissy Long at Crewe.

No mention on the IG but going through his playing history he played with Jake Carroll, Trevor Carson and erm, Nathan Thomas at Hartlepool. Seems he was at Sunderland at the same time as Faddy as well.

Also, I see he played for Alexander at Fleetwood in the 13/14 season.

Edited by capt_oats

2 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Here's the squad post-January excluding injuries: Carroll, McGinley, Mugabi, Efford and I'm assuming Morris is injured given he hasn't been around the match-day since the Killie game in December.

lineup.png.6d25741ed4110b27433020e4943fc103.png

With every edit Shields moves closer to the dugout..........😉

Considering it's fairly early in the January window I think it's pretty promising that we've got 2 players in already who are not only not currently injured but actually match fit as well.  Not sure if I'm the only one who's wondering why both these guys have got in their own cars and raced up to Motherwell on a cold wet midweek in the middle of the window to get the deals over the line but hey , definite potential there .

As long as Crankshaw's wingplay doesn't consist of grinding to a halt and getting crowded out on the touchline 25 yards out before flicking a pass into the corner then we're already improving.  Whether Mandron is a pler or not remains to be seen but he looks like an imposing enough figure to have standing behind KVV to hopefully get him to get his finger out on a more regular basis.  

On 12/01/2023 at 21:17, capt_oats said:

News from the future...

Link

"Motherwell... are looking for a young and aggressive Japanese, and have singled out Danzaki."
I'm guessing it's the translation but this makes it sound as if Hammy's just decided he wants any Japanese player in the squad. I hope it was a more targeted recruitment than that! I am all for increasing our international contingency again, since we lost Ojala in the summer. And for those not on Twitter, the seethe this has created with the Green Cheek fans is a joy to watch.

Also, for those who may have missed it on account of actually having a life, we were an answer on Tipping Point too!
#massiveclub

6 minutes ago, AnderooMFC said:

"Motherwell... are looking for a young and aggressive Japanese, and have singled out Danzaki."
I'm guessing it's the translation but this makes it sound as if Hammy's just decided he wants any Japanese player in the squad. I hope it was a more targeted recruitment than that! I am all for increasing our international contingency again, since we lost Ojala in the summer. And for those not on Twitter, the seethe this has created with the Green Cheek fans is a joy to watch.

Also, for those who may have missed it on account of actually having a life, we were an answer on Tipping Point too!
#massiveclub

What was the question ? Copa del Rey ?