Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

I guess five of Kettlewell's starting XI weren't really available to Hammell. We all knew Kelly was underperforming, McGinn was passable and Van Veen had a high ceiling but was frustrating us and himself at times. That really only leaves the midfield, which has shown a marked improvement since Kettlewell came in undoubtedly, but for however much better they've been, I think having three centre backs behind them has massively helped. I'd still be wary of this midfield playing with a back four behind them. Aside from that, Hammell's underperformers are largely not being used now.

10 from 12 is great and I don't quite buy into Grezza's opinion that we are safe yet, but the garden certainly looks rosier. It's a shame that our next game is both two weeks away and against Rangers for the sake of our momentum. The three below us all play teams they could conceivably get something from that weekend too, as well as Dundee Utd at an out form Livi this midweek. The following set of games, if we somehow manage to get something from Easter Road that would be great, as the three below us play Celtic, Rangers and Hearts that weekend. If we are sitting with the same or similar gap after the Hibs game I think we can begin to breathe.

Also noticed, looking at our games so far this season that we have 30 points, 10 from the first 12, 10 from the most recent 12 and 10 from 60 in between. That was one barren spell.

Edited by crazylegsjoe_mfc

Now that the dust has settled a bit, this is something I hadn't really considered; with Hammell and Kerr's exit and the appointments Kettlewell has made so far, this will be the first time since 2016 that we won't have had any former players on the coaching staff (save Clarkson currently in place as Academy Director which isn't really a coaching position as such).

In that time we've had, at various levels; Craigan (u20s/Development), McFadden (first team assistant manager), Lasley (first team assistant manager), McManus (coach), Ross (head of 18s to 21s), Hammell (first team manager) and Kerr (u18s coach/first team assistant manager).

I know Robinson was big on the idea of there being a "culture" established with the backroom and tbh, that seems to have really been diluted over the past while.

Edited by capt_oats

1 hour ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

That really only leaves the midfield, which has shown a marked improvement

Tbf, I think bypassing the midfield for the most part in our own half has helped just as much.  Less chance of them passing to the team in the opposite strip.

27 minutes ago, Antiochas III said:

Tbf, I think bypassing the midfield for the most part in our own half has helped just as much.  Less chance of them passing to the team in the opposite strip.

I agree with that largely, I didn't see the game minute by minute on Saturday, but particularly in the two home games, Goss was even doing the dirty work reasonably well which I never thought I'd see. If the season ended tomorrow, I'd still be largely in favour of letting him go.

Spittal has been great since Kettlewell took over however, his goal and two assists are exactly what I've wanted to see from him.

9 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Now that the dust has settled a bit, this is something I hadn't really considered; with Hammell and Kerr's exit and the appointments Kettlewell has made so far, this will be the first time since 2016 that we won't have had any former players on the coaching staff (save Clarkson currently in place as Academy Director which isn't really a coaching position as such).

In that time we've had, at various levels; Craigan (u20s/Development), McFadden (first team assistant manager), Lasley (first team assistant manager), McManus (coach), Ross (head of 18s to 21s), Hammell (first team manager) and Kerr (u18s coach/first team assistant manager).

I know Robinson was big on the idea of there being a "culture" established with the backroom and tbh, that seems to have really been diluted over the past while.

Thought crossed my mind too actually.  Add in Alan B leaving and I wonder how all that 'welcome to our wee club' type culture looks moving forward. 

There's a balance for me - don't think I'm particularly caring if we are loaded with ex players and people who 'know how the club work'. But also we don't want to turn in to a bland club with no identity. 

1 hour ago, eliphas said:

Thought crossed my mind too actually.  Add in Alan B leaving and I wonder how all that 'welcome to our wee club' type culture looks moving forward. 

There's a balance for me - don't think I'm particularly caring if we are loaded with ex players and people who 'know how the club work'. But also we don't want to turn in to a bland club with no identity. 

Aye, don't get me wrong, I'm not arguing for a jobs for the boys situation that certain fans used to get bent out of shape about both here and on SO.

Looking at that list some were better hires than others, some had more of an affiliation with the club than others:

Craigan won the Youth Cup and a stupid number of his players went on to make first team appearances, McManus obviously ended up coaching at Celtic and by all accounts we still haven't managed to replace the special sauce that Lasley brought to the club whereas we chucked McFadden into the assistant job essentially to justify him still being in the building.

IIRC at his press conference McFadden admitted he hadn't even been considering moving into coaching at that point and hadn't even thought about the job before McGhee asked him.

Hammell may have be our record post-war appearance holder but that particular gamble is still very fresh in the memory - we don't need to go over that one again.

I'd rather we hired good coaches and the right people than prioritised people who'd played for the club or have been season ticket holders or whatever but there's definitely something to be said for having an identity and people who understand the club around the place - especially in a culture of Modern Fitba' that is increasingly fleeting and transient.

11 hours ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

10 from 12 is great and I don't quite buy into Grezza's opinion that we are safe yet, but the garden certainly looks rosier.

In fairness he does qualify it by saying that we still need to win games.

It's the sort of statement that people make that generally assumes that our form doesn't drop straight off a cliff again and from that POV we're probably in the same boat as St Johnstone where we're only needing 3 more wins to break 38 points which is entirely achievable (considering where we were).

I agree that it's not a particularly helpful narrative to have floating around there though. 

9 hours ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

I agree with that largely, I didn't see the game minute by minute on Saturday, but particularly in the two home games, Goss was even doing the dirty work reasonably well which I never thought I'd see. If the season ended tomorrow, I'd still be largely in favour of letting him go.

Spittal has been great since Kettlewell took over however, his goal and two assists are exactly what I've wanted to see from him.

I think it was @bunglebonce who posted about Kettlewell having, for better or worse, built his County team around Vigurs and it made me wonder what SK would make of Goss as there are definite similarities between the two.

Spittal is also interesting purely because, despite it only being 4 games, this seems to be a genuine case of the manager getting the best out of him simply by understanding what he's good at.

One of the big issues with Hammell was the fact that en masse we'd seen a regression in performance from the players individually and collectively whereas at the moment we're seeing individual performances improve as a result of tweaks in their roles.

Edited by capt_oats

19 hours ago, dezz said:

10 points from 12 and back on top of the real league table. Everything’s coming up Millhouse!

I think Dundee utd being bottom of that table is a huge reason why they are actually bottom of the league. Some very nice footballers, no arseholes though.

46 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Above St Mirren again 

Actually respect the fact that Robbo takes the high foul count wherever he goes - I'm all for it (There was also something nostalgic about seeing Chilli D's brain rebooting during a last man challenge on Sunday.) 

Imagine being a Utd supporter and only seeing an embarrassing 266 fouls - why bother turning up.

4 minutes ago, Matty-RCFC said:

Lads quick one, was thinking of heading along to your Ressies game today but can’t find the location anywhere? I know the majority of your games are at EK, am I right in saying that’s the case today?

Indeed it is. (Sounds like you already know the way, but if not the link below shows that it's possible to have TOO many directions.)

Haven't heard whether it's definitely on, after the cold snap.

https://moovitapp.com/index/en-gb/public_transportation-K_Park_Training_Academy-Scotland-site_77731380-402

7 minutes ago, Doctor Manhattan said:

Indeed it is. (Sounds like you already know the way, but if not the link below shows that it's possible to have TOO many directions.)

Haven't heard whether it's definitely on, after the cold snap.

https://moovitapp.com/index/en-gb/public_transportation-K_Park_Training_Academy-Scotland-site_77731380-402

Top man, cheers!

I didn't realise that NI picked their players using the BBC Sport Player Rater.

Also - Kettlewell Manager of the Month. Getting it before we play Rangers is fine as no-one will notice the curse.