Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

5 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Its around now isnt it?

That was the excuse used for them voting Gerrard as Manager of the Year while Callum Davidson won the double. 

It's around now aye. Spittal was asked who he voted for yesterday.

Maybe I'm seeing things through rose tinted specs due to our form under Ketts but did anyone else think the two biggest shitebag culprits from earlier this season (Goss and Spittal) were putting it about yesterday? I thought there were a few challenges (and not referring to the VAR one) where both had a degree of gumption which was lacking in mid December.

Edited by Kapowzer

You are a bunch of jammy c***s, witnessing Van Veen in the form of his life and Kettlewell proving his credentials. I have to put up with either wanting County to stay up with big Jordan up front and keep Malky for longer, or get relegated to have him sacked.

4 hours ago, Kapowzer said:

Don't know when the voting opened and if still open, his recent purplest of all purple patches could be too late? I mean we put our goal of the season montage up with 5 still to play but I get it needs totalled before the awards dinner.

If he doesn’t make the short list it is out of jealously, presumably all Ross County players will vote for him (apart from that one that got sent off).

6 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

What a goal it is.

Every club in Scotland has ambitions of a KVV. Big, physical, scores plenty and other teams fans think he's a dickhead. What's not to enjoy?

If we could just pull someone in like that when Main leaves, I'll be a wee bit chuffed.

Amazing that there were Celtic fans laughing at the prospect of him being POTY cos Kyogo has scored like 2 or 3 more so deserves it. Kyogo is shooting fish in a barrel compared to KVV who for me, wins it by an absolute mile. 21 league goals is quite literally the difference between Motherwell staying up and being rock bottom.

He absolutely deserves to win it. I said after the game yesterday and I stand by it, Kevs contribution is more important than Kyogos contribution to Celtic. Without him, they still win the league. Without Van Veen we would have been relegated a long time ago.

1 hour ago, AdamMFC said:

He absolutely deserves to win it. I said after the game yesterday and I stand by it, Kevs contribution is more important than Kyogos contribution to Celtic. Without him, they still win the league. Without Van Veen we would have been relegated a long time ago.

If KVV did a Higdon and somehow won POTY (and the logic that won it for Higgy would apply here too) - the seethe would be off the chart from the Celtic side - meltdown.

7 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

What a goal it is.

Every club in Scotland has ambitions of a KVV. Big, physical, scores plenty and other teams fans think he's a dickhead. What's not to enjoy?

If we could just pull someone in like that when Main leaves, I'll be a wee bit chuffed.

Amazing that there were Celtic fans laughing at the prospect of him being POTY cos Kyogo has scored like 2 or 3 more so deserves it. Kyogo is shooting fish in a barrel compared to KVV who for me, wins it by an absolute mile. 21 league goals is quite literally the difference between Motherwell staying up and being rock bottom.

7 hours ago, well fan for life said:

Consider he's scored 25 this season for a team who didn't win a game between October and February I would say he's a stick on for it. And that's before I stick my tinted spectacles on.

I called KVV for the POTY anaw at FT yesterday.
I then saw the BBC pondered the question and enjoyed the seethe at the mere suggestion it wouldn't have been a Celtic player winning it.

3 hours ago, bunglebonce said:

You are a bunch of jammy c***s, witnessing Van Veen in the form of his life and Kettlewell proving his credentials. I have to put up with either wanting County to stay up with big Jordan up front and keep Malky for longer, or get relegated to have him sacked.

It's a bit different but this happened to us with Alexander. We were dropping like a stone then fluked top6. Kept him in a job for another 4 months and truly shagged us.

1 hour ago, Swello said:

KVV is going regret winding up every opposition player he could get near for the for the past 2 years - wee Kyogo has been nice to everyone atfer he's dived at every wee touch he gets he always get up with a smile :)

3 hours ago, Swello said:

KVV is going regret winding up every opposition player he could get near for the for the past 2 years - wee Kyogo has been nice to everyone :)

When he scored the free kick at easter road he was just politely asking David Marshall if he was getting his PotY vote.

15 hours ago, bunglebonce said:

Genuinely interested to know if what we've been getting over the last 10 games is an accurate representation of Kettleball? I think I've asked this before (and you probably answered at the time) but what was his preferred shape at County?

The choice to go with the 3412 has absolutely worked a treat - especially for guys like Johnston, Furlong, Goss, Spittal and obviously KVV. I generally take rumours from Dundee fans with a massive crate of salt as they seem to have a bunch of their players signing for us every summer which never materialise but either way we were linked with Paul McMullen on a PCA which makes absolutely no fucking sense based on how we're set up at the moment. A point that is compounded by McKinstry getting splinters on his arse because we're not playing with wingers.

In short, did he look to play with wingers at County and did he have a particular type of signing he liked (see Harry Paton landing on our doorstep a month after he got the job)?

He inherited a squad with 9 (NINE) new signings and has had the sense to work out what the players are good at and ask them to do that rather than whatever the f**k Hammell was up to. One of the (many) criticisms of Hammell and Kerr was that the squad had regressed en masse - basically there wasn't a single player at the club had improved on their watch whereas with Kettlewell and Frail we're seeing several players hitting their best form in a Motherwell jersey and playing with confidence. Which is nice.

The difference in almost every aspect is night and day compared to where we were but it's kind of difficult to get a steer on where we might go from here given that only 4 of our current starting XI are contracted for next season and one of those is almost certainly away to the highest bidder.

By the by, it feels like the fact that we actually have the 3rd best GA column in the league has kind of flown under the radar a bit.

Screenshot2023-05-08at11_41_06.png.5f6749e889dfc2c4bbb451a9eb28f5d5.png

Fwiw: this was the table below is from the day Hammell was emptied - we were conceding 1.58 goals per game. Under Kettlewell we've conceded 10 in 10 games (including 4 in 1 match against Rangers) so it's down to an average 1 goal per game (0.66 pg if you exclude the **** game) while our goals scored has increased from 1.12 pg under Hammell to 1.9 goals per game under Ketts.

Screenshot2023-05-08at11_42_11.thumb.png.569271f59c3cbb3bb19daff1825b3be2.png

17 minutes ago, Lobby Dossar said:

The more games that McKinstry starts the more money we have to give Leeds 

What about games he doesn't start?

He's been an unused sub in 9 of the last 10 and got 5 mins in the game he did make it off the bench against United.

Edited by capt_oats

We've touched on this before but the question of whether we maintain 3-5-2 without KVV is absolutely fascinating.

Part of me says the three at the back is still maintainable, build from there...but let's be honest, as much as there has been improvement everywhere, things would (obviously!) look different without a #10 in God mode.

As for Kettlewell, harsh as it is his good work is very quickly about to count for zero. And we've seen before that building a team is a completely different challenge to galvanising one.

Tough gig being a football manager, eh?