Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Is the Team of the Year based on the players’ votes?  Presumably the most popular keeper, the 4 highest voted defenders etc, and not just the 11 players with the most votes (like the announced short list will be).  If the Celtic minded vote is split between a number of players it may allow KVV to sneak through.  It may alternatively work well for Tavernier.

39 minutes ago, Swello said:

Also - (and I know they are good players BTW) - having 3 defenders from a team that never need to defend seems a bit much.

TBF, I don't disagree, but there are... basically no good defenders in the league this year? :lol: 

Dons a mess for six months defensively, Hearts constantly injured, Hibs still playing half their cup winning back four in the year of our lord 2023, St. Mirren I really like Strain but you're not putting Charlie Dunne in the TOTY and everyone else is a bin fire, soooo...

We've conceded the third fewest goals in the league this season, and I certainly couldn't make a case for a single one of them.

Yeah it's Starfelt, Taylor and CCV. 

1 hour ago, thisGRAEME said:

TBF, I don't disagree, but there are... basically no good defenders in the league this year? :lol: 

You’re a brave man saying it out loud 

7A64A254-476B-4150-A8C7-57964B1592DC.jpeg

4 hours ago, CoF said:

You’re a brave man saying it out loud 

7A64A254-476B-4150-A8C7-57964B1592DC.jpeg

"Ha'way the Lads

You shoulda seen me coming

I'm only here to drink yer beer and shag goalkeepers wummin

All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces

Walking down the Fir Park Road

To see the Personnel .... (department)"

*Last line needs some work

On 08/05/2023 at 21:17, Swami said:

I thought Campbell was absolutely mental going to Luton. Turns out it might have been the best move he could have made. 

It was the perfect move, in terms of joining a club who fit him tactically.

Not sure how this'll go down, but to me he was always limited in what he could do in terms of keeping possession. Game was more about doing things quickly and in the final third rather than in the build up. Luton are a side who use those types of CMs as they simply don't care about completing 1000 passes a match. Whoever helped to advise him on that move deserves a huge amount of credit.

Compare him to Ali McCann who, even before he left, was being pigeon holed into a more possession based style. He joined Preston who reek of Falkirk-esque energy (we're a big club who need to play like it, despite achieving nothing in about 40 years) and has struggled badly. Whoever advised him of that move got it badly wrong. 

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

Not sure how this'll go down, but to me he was always limited in what he could do in terms of keeping possession. Game was more about doing things quickly and in the final third rather than in the build up. Luton are a side who use those types of CMs as they simply don't care about completing 1000 passes a match. Whoever helped to advise him on that move deserves a huge amount of credit.

That's not unfair, my doubt about him excelling rather than surviving in the championship was whether he could hack it technically. There was a game in Perth (which might be triggering your memory too) when we had him playing as a six, dropping back to get possession and every time he didn't miscontrol it, the pass went straight to the opposition.

Some good chat over on the WOSL forum about the proposed new conference league and the growing opposition to it.

One interesting stat on the amount of time each club played Scottish players caught my eye and I've put it below for anyone who is interested.

345640900_206298448847997_5217675828870083255_n.jpg

Edited by santheman

20 hours ago, ropy said:

Is the Team of the Year based on the players’ votes?  Presumably the most popular keeper, the 4 highest voted defenders etc, and not just the 11 players with the most votes (like the announced short list will be).  If the Celtic minded vote is split between a number of players it may allow KVV to sneak through.  It may alternatively work well for Tavernier.

On this, I found it odd that Spittal opted for Hatate over Van Veen, I kind of thought clubs (and players) would stick together, not to say Hatate hasn't been excellent btw. 

7 minutes ago, Neil86 said:

On this, I found it odd that Spittal opted for Hatate over Van Veen, I kind of thought clubs (and players) would stick together, not to say Hatate hasn't been excellent btw. 

I wonder if you're not allowed to vote for your own teammates. Because our squad of 40 waifs & strays collected by GA/Hammell would have really skewed things. 

3 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

I wonder if you're not allowed to vote for your own teammates. Because our squad of 40 waifs & strays collected by GA/Hammell would have really skewed things. 

I'm pretty sure that's correct, aye. 

Putting out tweets in quotation marks to save the hacks some work - a touch of class (and one step away from referring to himself in the third person). 

"delighted to get the POTY award" opined King Kevin.

38 minutes ago, Swello said:

Putting out tweets in quotation marks to save the hacks some work - a touch of class (and one step away from referring to himself in the third person). 

"delighted to get the POTY award" opined King Kevin.

Big can you tweet something like... vibes from that.  Some boy is Kev.

1 minute ago, capt_oats said:

There he is...

The split vote scenario is on. KVV will be getting the vote of every Rangers-leaning player in Scottish fitba (big electorate) - and the sellic minded vote will be split in some way :)