Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

1 hour ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

As someone rightly pointed out, a sensible scout would visit fan forums to get a long-term opinion on a player.

I’d say that would be more of a sacking offence than sensible? 

17 hours ago, rowsdower said:

He was right in that we were unsavable if he took over. He has shown twice this season that he he's adept at sending teams on a downward trajectory, and hopeless at setting up a defence. He absolutely would have had butcher in midfield and Lamie in a back four.

Yep- His record at St Mirren was completely average. Aberdeen, average then shambolic. Dundee United, shambolic.

I honestly think the only reason he’s landed decent jobs is because he has a nice beard. 

I'm actually getting the fear retrospectively about Goodwin being offered our job when we were in the grubber after the Raith game. His patter recently, bemoaning the shite goals Utd were losing as if it was someone else's fault/responsibility and clearly unable to make it better was a carbon copy of what Hammell was saying in December/January.

Our long stay in the league is a result of some luck and circumstances of course but mostly about making good decisions to undo mistakes/fix things when they inevitably get broken - and this season is a perfect example. If we had appointed Goodwin I'm as sure as I can be that we'd at best be where County are now (as I think Utd were in trouble regardless and it would have been a toss up between the two of us for bottom spot).

5 minutes ago, Swello said:

I'm actually getting the fear retrospectively about Goodwin being offered our job when we were in the grubber after the Raith game. His patter recently, bemoaning the shite goals Utd were losing as if it was someone else's fault/responsibility and clearly unable to make it better was a carbon copy of what Hammell was saying in December/January.

Our long stay in the league is a result of some luck and circumstances of course but mostly about making good decisions to undo mistakes/fix things when they inevitably get broken - and this season is a perfect example. If we had appointed Goodwin I'm as sure as I can be that we'd at best be where County are now (as I think Utd were in trouble regardless and it would have been a toss up between the two of us for bottom spot).

5 minutes ago, Swello said:

Likewise Holloway. He seems to have previous with Van Veen and can just see the scenario where he comes in, they have a fall out, and the outrageous run Kev went on never happens. Butterfly effect stuff but shows how knife edge our season was considering both him and Goodwin seemed to be considered at the time. 

There’s the bold Riku giving his POTY award in English in the wee video.  Puts to bed any notion of Stevie Hammell conducting the numerous zoom calls and whatsapp conversations in fluent Japanese. 

I really want him to be good.

Just watched the player vote video too.
Props to KVV for giving his vote to Calum Butcher and underlining the big change he's made to our defence

Props also to the couple who didn't vote for KVV, they must have balanced the chuckle factor with the idea the big mad Dutch bloke will be after them, and been particularly brave :D

4 minutes ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

Props to KVV for giving his vote to Calum Butcher and underlining the big change he's made to our defence

Seemed to be the only one with any sense (that didn't vote KVV)

30 minutes ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

Just watched the player vote video too.

Props also to the couple who didn't vote for KVV, they must have balanced the chuckle factor with the idea the big mad Dutch bloke will be after them, and been particularly brave :D

I think we've found how Nathan McGinley has been spending his Saturdays off this season.

He's clearly been glued to the BBC website giving Sean Goss  10 out of 10's because of his ability to cover every blade of grass

3 minutes ago, weemac said:

I think we've found how Nathan McGinley has been spending his Saturdays off this season.

He's clearly been glued to the BBC website giving Sean Goss  10 out of 10's because of his ability to cover every blade of grass

Tbf I've seen him sitting up the back of the Cooper stand with his laptop so we can't rule this out. 

17 minutes ago, Antiochas III said:

Before anyone asks, no - we should not sign Jamie Murphy who has been released by St Johnstone.  

I think the only one freed so far I'd be remotely eager to take is Omeonga from Livingston and even then I'm not convinced I'm not massively overestimating him by mistake.

There's no doubt a handful of others who could do a job as squad players but we seem well stocked in that regard already...

1 hour ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

The fact that Calum Butcher speaks quietly makes him much scarier - having someone telling you sotto voce that they're going to break your legs in the next tackle would be far, far worse than some sort of Ryan Porteus daft as a brush type shouting it in your ear.