Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

How we finished the game is the line up that should have started.

It shows you how poor our defence is without Casey and Butcher. Mugabi is a bomb scare.

I would say Obiki is a much much better player than Mandron but would give neither a contract for next season. 

I honestly do not see what SK sees in Mandron?.

Why anyone things O'Donnell is any good never mind get the captaincy back needs their head's examined.

Spittal should be offered an extension, everything good we did came through him today and has been outstanding for SK.

I will miss KVV and Max Johnston 😭

Can't disagree with any of that.

I think the issue for next season will be replacing Kev's contribution which you'd be doing well to secure two 15 goal forwards. It's gonna be two wages and an extra body in the squad and both have been cited as issues.

Today was further evidence that Bevis has probably been charmed to be with us for so long. Mandron is from the same school of footballing ability.

As has been conveyed, our defence was a major downgrade without Casey and Butcher, plus SOD is a shadow of what Max offers. Furlong was also poor for me today.

Surprised that Slattery took the freekick which was in prime Kev territory.

Season ends on a high but let's be honest it's been the lions share of three seasons now of some pretty turgid stuff. I think we're all enthused with what Ketts will do in the summer with what he has and when he goes shopping.

I'm as curious as everyone about summer but I think we might be in for less business than hoped...we must have fair flown into next season's budget with our January and February expenses. No argument, obviously, but unless we are hitting the jackpot in a few places I suspect cash will be as tight as ever.

51 minutes ago, Kapowzer said:

Can't disagree with any of that.

I think the issue for next season will be replacing Kev's contribution which you'd be doing well to secure two 15 goal forwards. It's gonna be two wages and an extra body in the squad and both have been cited as issues.

Today was further evidence that Bevis has probably been charmed to be with us for so long. Mandron is from the same school of footballing ability.

As has been conveyed, our defence was a major downgrade without Casey and Butcher, plus SOD is a shadow of what Max offers. Furlong was also poor for me today.

Surprised that Slattery took the freekick which was in prime Kev territory.

Season ends on a high but let's be honest it's been the lions share of three seasons now of some pretty turgid stuff. I think we're all enthused with what Ketts will do in the summer with what he has and when he goes shopping.

Appreciate football is all about opinions but I can't agree with you about Furlong. To my eyes he was as always steady, clever and constantly making himself available.

I would be very happy to see him at FP next season.

1 hour ago, Marinello said:

Appreciate football is all about opinions but I can't agree with you about Furlong. To my eyes he was as always steady, clever and constantly making himself available.

I would be very happy to see him at FP next season.

Watch Middleton's chance and their next attack.

I'm not disagreeing with you, if we got him on a 2 year deal I'd be happy, 1 offers nothing except keeping the wolf from the door until the issue with that position rears its head yet again. I just felt he didn't play as well as he has.

Edited by Kapowzer

7 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Had to leave basically on the whistle today which deprived me of my favourite bit of end of season games where you try and work out who's staying or going based on their body language when they clap the fans. Any hints?

I noticed that such is KVV’s virility that after announcing a pregnancy 2 weeks ago his daughter is now 5 years old.

9 minutes ago, CoF said:

I really like Blair Spittal

It obviously is under the radar compared to KVV but Spittal has been superb - six goals, enough assists that he is into double figures for contributing...general play becoming excellent too - even today's goal was started by him winning a header.

Take KVV out of the equation and Spittal would be our POTY.

I really dont get the hate for him from some quarters.

Really entertaining end to the season. We were poor first half and probably should have been behind at the break, but we more than made up for it 2nd half and thoroughly deserved the win.

Overall, pretty pleased with where we ended up after much pain and gnashing of teeth in the first half of the season.

Gonna be really interesting to see what Kettlewell is able to do in the close season. KVV and Max look to be away so that should release some funds. However, there are some out of contract we would want to keep (Casey and Furlong) and a few still in contract that we would want to move on (Lamie and Mugabi).

Some wheeling and dealing to be done.

Considering last season our 2nd top goalscorer was Rickie Lamie, I'd say Spittal with 6 goals and 7 assists has been a very welcome improvement. I had my reservations before hand, but would 100% be 2nd in POTY.   1. KVV 2. Spittal 3. Butcher  

5 hours ago, Well Well said:

How we finished the game is the line up that should have started.

It shows you how poor our defence is without Casey and Butcher. Mugabi is a bomb scare.

I would say Obiki is a much much better player than Mandron but would give neither a contract for next season. 

I honestly do not see what SK sees in Mandron?.

Why anyone things O'Donnell is any good never mind get the captaincy back needs their head's examined.

Spittal should be offered an extension, everything good we did came through him today and has been outstanding for SK.

I will miss KVV and Max Johnston 😭

Agree with all of that, will be interesting to see what SK's plan is for next year, Obiki and Mandron looked to have been signed to suit and get the best out of KVV, with him probably/definitely going will SK plan to play and sign players to suit the same system or to fit what he sees as how he would like us to be set up and play post KVV and not just having to get the best out of what he had when he took over.

Would also like to get McGinn singed up on a longer contract as he has been a consitent performer. Similar with Furlong, after a poor start I think that he has been excellent, IMO we basically need to try all we can to get our 1st choice defence signed up if possible.

No offence to Mugabe and Mandron, sure they are lovely guys but they sure as shit aren't football players and my eyes and heart could do without them both being at FP next season.

Unbeaten in the last 6 and top of the chart, courtesy of the draw with Celtic. 

image.png.a187e6f4c10d1c864e28f72b27b961af.png

Not too shabby over the last 10 either - just goal difference denying us 2nd place.

image.png.4868868c9cb69bd68a7480a6067ccba4.png

And nice to see St Mirren consistently worse than even Dundee Utd, although they'll probably be consoled by the 6th place prize money.

24 minutes ago, Doctor Manhattan said:

Unbeaten in the last 6 and top of the chart, courtesy of the draw with Celtic. 

image.png.a187e6f4c10d1c864e28f72b27b961af.png

Not too shabby over the last 10 either - just goal difference denying us 2nd place.

image.png.4868868c9cb69bd68a7480a6067ccba4.png

And nice to see St Mirren consistently worse than even Dundee Utd, although they'll probably be consoled by the 6th place prize money.

With 5 European places to hand round now - 6th place is a weirdly miserable position these days as you're the only team in the Top 6 that's finishing empty handed (not that Saints will be caring that much after a very decent season by their standards).