Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

There are only two ways the WS will get significantly better. 

The first is that we pay more/better people to run it - that will meet obvious resistance.

The second is that better people get more involved voluntarily. So if you know anyone in our modest fan base who has the skills needed, capacity and willingness to give up their time, the personality to step into the semi-public eye and a skin thick enough to tolerate people being snarky about them, push them towards it.

Eventually someone - or some people - will emerge and take us by the scruff of the neck but much like shaking up the club board, I've no idea how we can expedite matters.

1 hour ago, one m in Motherwell said:

Announced Ross Forbes and Stuart Carswell today as well.  Quite the enclave we’re building.

Brian McLean is their manager now too. He and Ross Forbes would have just about coincided with each other at Motherwell in the 2008/09 season.

I was also surprised to see Peter Grant Junior plays with them too. I remember he was really being talked up when he came through at Falkirk, I hadn't heard much about him in years.

1 hour ago, Desp said:

"How do we encourage greater participation?"

I'd suggest not dismissing 180 fans, because you think that's "quite low" would be a half decent place to start. 

Everything I hear about that board just makes me shake my head. A glorified bowling club committee who are only in it for the blazer and free perks (my apologies to the younger lads on the Board who do try, but may as well bang their head off the wall).

I guess the other point is that if you want to take the opinion of a wide set of members rather than a sample  (and 180 is a perfectly good sample given it's a fairly niche subject for supporters who have had nothing to do with the lower leagues for decades), don't expect folk to write you an email. My email inbox consists entirely of companies asking me (in weirdly desperate ways) to review random shit I've bought off them in the last 10 years - and so I rarely bother checking it which means I've not even seen the email from the Society.

Even a simple poll on Survey Monkey maybe with a text box for folk that want to write War & Peace on the subject would have got a better response rate I'm sure but I still think it's a subject of limited interest to an average 'Well supporter. They should test the theory by asking members "should we leave a man up when we're defending a corner?" - 98% response rate guaranteed. 

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Always thought he was fairly highly rated, but maybe folk just raved about him because his height.

42 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

He was getting nowhere with us by the look of it. His spell at EK wasn't great either from what I remember.

Hammell made a bit of a tit of himself about him anaw. 

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/motherwell-boss-critical-east-kilbride-28966007

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/east-kilbride-boss-responds-motherwell-28978532

I might be miles off beam with this given I'm less familiar with the Young Motherwell group than I was in the Turnbull era Golden Generation, as I was able to get along to those games, but it kind of feels like centre back is an area we've had a tough time developing through to first team level.

It feels like a tough area of the park to just chuck someone into. Ben Hall was probably the last one who got a run of games before he fucked off to Brighton.

Since then Robinson gave up on Maguire as a centre back, we gave David Devine a few extensions - IIRC Mo Ross was all in on him for some reason - but he had a tough time in his first loan at QotS just before the pandemic hit and he seems to have had a bit of a shite time with injuries.

I get that the pandemic and mothballing of the Reserve leagues has fucked up development for a shitload of our weans but it's hard to think of a centre back that we've had hyped recently in the same way as Max Johnston, Lennon Miller, DT, Jimmy Scott etc.

I know Alexander had Sam Campbell on the bench towards the end of the 21/22 but given he's missed almost all of last season with injury and there's been no update on his contract it's probably still up in the air as to whether he's someone we're investing in.

3 hours ago, KirkySuperSub said:

I don't do Twitter, so I can only imagine some of the comments in response to that announcement!

It’s surprisingly fine. A mixture of “shat myself” (understandable) and “cool, good academy coach” (also understandable). 

I see Cornelius is the first of those out of contract to declare he’s off. 

Slightly surprised, he was the one of those out of contract that I thought might actually stay. I imagine Goss, Johnston and Casey will all follow suit shortly before we’re due back next Monday. 

Ach, I'd have preferred to see him stay in the hope he did an Al Campbell and really came on with another season. But I'm not hugely bothered either way. Been a useful player but not outstanding. Someone needs to pay a development fee for him when he does sign don't they? 

Max has been way for ages obviously, Goss I'm fine with going tbh, but Casey is the one for me I'd really like to keep. 

Edited by eliphas

Cornelius is very meh for me. Probably annoying having to replace a good rotation option on top of everyone else this summer, but I don't think we'd ever sell him for money if he did stay past 22 or 23 (whenever you're not owed youth compensate anymore) so probably a silver lining that we're cashing in now.

I don't think the ceiling was too high in how much we'd sell him for, so if we can get good compensation then I guess it's best for all parties? I do think given contracts expired over a week ago, I'd say the majority of them won't be back, the only 2 likely were Goss and Casey, unless they are still on holiday and giving an answer just before pre-season begins next Monday.