Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

I think I've just about talked myself round on Bair. The fact that he's been in Canada/MLS squads relatively young, St Johnstone paid a fee for him, and their fans (okay, RandomGuy) seem to think it was a composure/confidence thing rather than a complete lack of ability means I'd probably rather have him as a 4th choice striker than another Obika/Mandron type who we know will be a 6.5/10 most weeks but not much more.

12 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I think I've just about talked myself round on Bair. The fact that he's been in Canada/MLS squads relatively young, St Johnstone paid a fee for him, and their fans (okay, RandomGuy) seem to think it was a composure/confidence thing rather than a complete lack of ability means I'd probably rather have him as a 4th choice striker than another Obika/Mandron type who we know will be a 6.5/10 most weeks but not much more.

Bair struggles to make the most of his physique because of his mentality, ability wise its hard to know as he barely touched the ball.

He seemed a good finisher before he joined us but one of his last actions with us was skying a fairly shot about 10 yards over from just inside the area, while every dribble attempt either saw him fall over the ball or knock it past the defender and straight out of play.

He seems a thoroughly nice person, and his physique should be a asset (which he doesnt use), but im genuinely stunned any top flight club is even considering him as an option off the bench. Id expected him to rock up in the American lower tiers or the Canadian league.

1 hour ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Ready to grin and Bair it...

sorry

If you can sell him to me on one thing it is that the St Johnstone midfield was a black hole of creativity last season. And MAYBE if has someone who can pass him the ball then he can do a job. Still. Probably mince. Looking for quality from Canada/MLS is only going to lead to disappointment.

Meanwhile over in the capital Hibs spend circa £700k on a striker that has scored 42 goals in 70 games. It was an unlevel playing field with the Old Firm. Starting to get that way with the other city clubs. Like Aberdeen they are actively spending the transfer money they get in whereas we well…….don’t and cannot afford too.

A wee bit of the green eyed monster I guess 😩

2 minutes ago, welldaft said:

Meanwhile over in the capital Hibs spend circa £700k on a striker that has scored 42 goals in 70 games. It was an unlevel playing field with the Old Firm. Starting to get that way with the other city clubs. Like Aberdeen they are actively spending the transfer money they get in whereas we well…….don’t and cannot afford too.

Its Hibs. What are the chances this guy is actually good.

Dutch second tier striker.

15 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Fair point. But our best striker who broke goalscoring records last season has just gone to the Dutch second tier. Time will tell but let’s put it this way I am prepared to guess he may score more than Bair if the latter does eventually join us. 

15 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

They tried to get Kev, they couldn't get Kev, so they paid £700k to get a guy from the level he's gone to retire to.

1 hour ago, welldaft said:

💯 

I’ve said elsewhere that there is going to be 3 leagues within the SPL this years.

Celtic & Rangers 

Aberdeen, Hearts & Hibs

The rest. 

The financial disparity in the league is going to massive. 

It should be but Hearts are a bit of a shambles, I’m not 100% convinced on Barry Robson yet and well Hibs will do Hibs things like losing in Andorra. 

There’s not been very many seasons when the big 5 have actually been the top 5 imo. 

4 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Bair struggles to make the most of his physique because of his mentality, ability wise its hard to know as he barely touched the ball.

He seemed a good finisher before he joined us but one of his last actions with us was skying a fairly shot about 10 yards over from just inside the area, while every dribble attempt either saw him fall over the ball or knock it past the defender and straight out of play.

He seems a thoroughly nice person, and his physique should be a asset (which he doesnt use), but im genuinely stunned any top flight club is even considering him as an option off the bench. Id expected him to rock up in the American lower tiers or the Canadian league.

So from that summary, he appears to be a cross between Mikael Mandron and Connor Shields 😂

7 hours ago, Gianfranco said:

There’s not been very many seasons when the big 5 have actually been the top 5 imo. 

Hearts, Hibs and Aberdeen have always had the potential to pull away from the rest but they finally seen to be run and monetizing in a way which makes it look more likely.

The gigantic however, however, is they still face the same problems as us - they might buy or sign better players or managers but as soon as these guys prove themselves they will not want to hang around. 

The financial gap, big as it is, is nowhere near enough that if they're having to rebuild every two years they won't screw up occasionally.

So while third currently looks miles off (and let's be honest, it always does), I think our chances of nicking fifth are pretty much unchanged.

And that's ignoring that the financial difference is enough to show over 38 games but will have significantly less impact over 90 minutes.

40 minutes ago, eliphas said:

I liked the look of him. Interested to see him in the rough and tumble of league match. But I do get the feeling he's going to do well.

I'm hoping he's a cynical, dirty shithousing bastart - or he's a disgrace to the Balkans.

4 minutes ago, Swello said:

I'm hoping he's a cynical, dirty shithousing bastart - or he's a disgrace to the Balkans.

My eyebrows raised off the back of my head yesterday at Aberdeen signing a "Slobodan" tbqhwy.

Have we signed big Mika yet?