Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

We were the wrong club at the wrong time for the big man.  These things happen.

Despite what others up here may suggest, the standard of football in the Scottish Premiership is absolutely miles ahead of the dross served up in League 2 in England.  I hope he can continue his good start.  Wish him all the best.

1 hour ago, Casagolda said:

On the subject of strikers I noticed big Alex Fisher scored again for Yeovil last night, that’s 5 in 7 league starts for him there now. 

Shame it didn’t work out for him here, always felt he was a goal away from finding his feet and getting some confidence. 

In an alternate reality he scores when he went 1-on-1 with the keeper against Rangers at the start of the season and goes on to score 10 before Christmas.

Just never worked out for him here. Shame really, because he was a good player in a fucking atrocious ICT team the season before.

17 hours ago, capt_oats said:

thisGRAEME made an excellent point on The Terrace the other week when he was talking about how it feels like Main is starting from a much higher base than Moult did. I totally agree. Where Moult arrived at the club with his background predominately being non-league, Main's arrived with almost 50 games at Championship level and 70+ games at League 1 (granted he's also a couple of years older than Moult was when he signed).

I think he is 100% correct. Moult was a highly successful exercise in pulling someone out of non-league football and developing them (as was Marvin) - but Main, in the same vein as Dunne, is another thing - namely, someone who was at a decent level and "stalled" for whatever reason. Main, in his short time does look like a player from a higher level and now that Dunne is over his injury, he does too. 

The only caution is that there is still a risk in trying to revive stalled careers, even if it slightly lower than trying to constantly pull diamonds out of non-league football - as some players will have dropped down the leagues for a reason and they won't all be "repairable" - but I guess that is where we are doing well in the recruitment side, getting the ones with something to prove..

9min 04 seconds: Apparently we're In negotiations with 4 players re: contracts at the moment (inc. Kipré, though Robinson doesn't actually confirm him) and hoping to have some announcements later on in the week.

Given Kipré's deal is up at the end of next season I wonder if the other 3 we're speaking to about extensions are similarly under contract or whether they're guys whose deals are expiring in the summer. I'd have thought we might be looking to try and get Tait, McHugh and Cadden on longer term deals seeing as they're all out of contract in 2019.

Edited by capt_oats

9 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

I also noticed he said some of his signings, he expects to do better next year. Who do we think he’s talking about? A hint that Ciftci will be about next season or the two young forwards maybe.

I'd have taken one of them to be Dunne given his injury history and the fact he's kicked on recently. Bigi could easily be another since he was signed on a 2 year deal Robinson's talking about taking time to settle.

Edit to add: going back to his comments a few weeks ago about how he's like to get Ciftci after a pre-season I think he'd definitely like to keep hold of him. Whether he can or thinks it's worth it come the end of the season is a different question.

Edited by capt_oats

2 hours ago, capt_oats said:

9min 04 seconds: Apparently we're In negotiations with 4 players re: contracts at the moment (inc. Kipré, though Robinson doesn't actually confirm him) and hoping to have some announcements later on in the week.

Given Kipré's deal is up at the end of next season I wonder if the other 3 we're speaking to about extensions are similarly under contract or whether they're guys whose deals are expiring in the summer. I'd have thought we might be looking to try and get Tait, McHugh and Cadden on longer term deals seeing as they're all out of contract in 2019.

Here’s who’s out of contract this summer..

• Griffiths
  • Plummer
  • Dunne
  • Grimshaw
  • Rose
  • Bowman
  • Newell
  • Petravicius

Outside of Dunne, I can’t say I’d be overally disappointed to see any of them leave.

We could actually save a fair bit of money by punting Griffiths, Plummer, Grimshaw and Petravicius for a start. 

You’d have to think he was talking about extending the contracts of some of those who’ve only got a year left. 

Edited by Casagolda

I think Dunne is a saleable player - if he starts next season as he's played in 2018, I'd imagine we'd get interest from teams down south - doubly so if we can coach a bit of passing into him and so an extension would make sense (and even if we don't sell him, he's very much worth keeping). I get the impression that Newell is rated and I think he might get another year.

16 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

You’d have to think he’s talking about extensions to those still under contract.

Here’s who’s out of contract this summer..

• Griffiths
  • Plummer
  • Dunne
  • Grimshaw
  • Rose
  • Bowman
  • Newell
  • Petravicius

Outside of Dunne, I can’t say I’d be overally disappointed to see any of them leave.

We could actually save a fair bit of money by punting Griffiths, Plummer, Grimshaw and Petravicius for a start. 

Pretty much. If you filter that a bit more by those who are part of our first choice XI rather than subs or guys on the fringe of the team you're looking at:

Dunne
Rose

That's it. Though having said that, if you were including expiring loans in there then both Aldred and Ciftci would be in that bracket.

As for the others we've already signed Rohan Ferguson so you'd think that would mean he'd take Griffiths' place. Plummer's been broken for most of the season and in the case of Bowman, Newell and Petravicius I've already banged on enough about them but if the manager didn't think they were good enough in December/January I don't see that any of the 3 have done much to change his mind (so much so that he was still talking in the press the other week about looking at the forward area as he feels we don't have enough).

Edited by capt_oats

18 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

Yeah, would agree with that.  Keep Dunne, let the rest go.

Let's not forget you'll have the likes of Rohan Ferguson, Adam Livingstone, Barry Maguire and David Turnbull in the first team squad next season.  With the likes of Scott, Semple and Agyeman not too far behind.

I think we'll be looking at bringing in three or four of good quality, alongside getting a couple of the younger ones more involved.  We've got a decent base to build from, as opposed to last season.

Edited by Desp

6 minutes ago, Desp said:

Yeah, would agree with that.  Keep Dunne, let the rest go.

Let's not forget you'll have the likes of Rohan Ferguson, Adam Livingstone, Barry Maguire and David Turnbull in the first team squad next season.  With the likes of Scott, Semple and Agyeman not too far behind.

I think we'll be looking at bringing in three or four of good quality, alongside getting a couple of the younger ones more involved.  We've got a decent base to build from, as opposed to last season.

You can add Hastie to that list as well. I'm fairly sure his loan to Airdrie this season was with a view to him being involved with the first team next season. I'd say he would more than likely take Newell's spot in the squad.

22 hours ago, capt_oats said:

You can add Hastie to that list as well. I'm fairly sure his loan to Airdrie this season was with a view to him being involved with the first team next season. I'd say he would more than likely take Newell's spot in the squad.

That would be a shock to Newell considering he confirmed last week he's here until the end of next season. Go to 2:58 

15 minutes ago, WellView said:

That would be a shock to Newell considering he confirmed last week he's here until the end of next season. Go to 2:58

There you go. One of the few player pre-match interviews I couldn't be arsed watching through to the end and there's some actual information there.

That'll learn me.

Edited by capt_oats

3 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

There you go. One of the few player pre-match interviews I couldn't be arsed watching through to the end and there's some actual information there.

That'll learn me.

I was a tad surprised when I read your post, you're usually spot on with your analysis. 

Interesting article in The Scotsman - with this hilarious line - "Such has been the fervour around their apparent over-the-top style of play you could be led to believe they are set to appear at The Hague for war crimes." 

Read more at: https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/competitions/scottish-cup/why-stephen-robinson-should-be-derek-mcinnes-successor-at-aberdeen-1-4723407

I note the comments re the club social media - the purpose of social media is to drive revenue, the best way to drive revenue is, to begin with, free offers - 

https://www.ringdna.com/inside-sales-glossary/what-is-the-sales-funnel 

I said last year and I maintain it, give out three thousand free season tickets to kids.  Our biggest attendance this year has been 9,500?  and the average is 5,600 or so.  Give away the seats, you'll turn kids into lifetime fans, drive revenue through merchandise and kiosk sales. You'll also drive revenue through companion ( adult ) season ticket sales.  

The most effective marketing these days is text message, followed by email. I've never received either from the club.  This is laughable. I noted a deal the other week that I was unaware of - a deal I would have taken. That missed opportunity has cost the club a few hundred quid as I'm now too late.  Another example last week, I was unaware of the Player of the Year awards ( to be fair, I've been side-tracked by a more important issue ).  The club should be texting people letting us know of events. There are several other ways the club can generate revenue via social media, but to be honest, I can't be bothered getting into it here.   

The taxi driving, troll destroying, globe trotter has returned! 

And he's never received an email from the club :lol:

Also can't be arsed looking at the club's social media platforms to see what's going on. I wonder why they don't take any of CMWellFan's ideas on board...