Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

3 minutes ago, GreekPhoenix said:

How is Theo Bair getting on with you lot? Surprised to see that he has started most of your games, are you getting something out of him that we weren't?

He's started games because every other forward is injured.

Scored on his debut, obviously, but hasn't looked too likely on that front since. However, his holdup play, layoffs and general nuisance quotient are way better than I was expecting - perhaps helped by the unexpected minutes he's been getting - and along with being in a winning team this must be doing his confidence a world of good. I actually wouldn't be surprised to see him start scoring a few, at least until our other strikers return. (Which might be a while, as their legs appear to have the structural integrity of overcooked linguini.)

2 minutes ago, Doctor Manhattan said:

He's started games because every other forward is injured.

Scored on his debut, obviously, but hasn't looked too likely on that front since. However, his holdup play, layoffs and general nuisance quotient are way better than I was expecting - perhaps helped by the unexpected minutes he's been getting - and along with being in a winning team this must be doing his confidence a world of good. I actually wouldn't be surprised to see him start scoring a few, at least until our other strikers return. (Which might be a while, as their legs appear to have the structural integrity of overcooked linguini.)

Good to hear he has maybe found a better space for himself.

Seemed a good guy (met him a couple of times with the kids, who he was great with btw) just was never cut out for the levels required in Perth 😜

1 hour ago, GreekPhoenix said:

St Johnstone fan in peace...well done on your start to the season.

How is Theo Bair getting on with you lot? Surprised to see that he has started most of your games, are you getting something out of him that we weren't?

Certainly not the most talented player but his hold up play helps Spittal, Slattery, Miller and Paton get forward and create a chance. Don't see him playing much when we've got a fully fit squad but will do in the mean time 

2 hours ago, Archie McSquackle said:

That St. Johnstone game was the real low point. I actually had some confidence going in to that game and we turned in an insipid performance and were easily beaten. It was only the amount of incoming players that prevented Hammell being booted out there and then. 

I know we say this a lot but that St J game may have been the worst ever.

Not only were we rubbish and half-assed but it was a relegation six-pointer against a team that hadn't won (or even scored? Or am I misremembering?) in weeks yet literally strolled through us.

Had Hammell been binned by the next morning it wouldn't have been disproportionate.

6 hours ago, GreekPhoenix said:

@thisGRAEME covers Bair well in his Terrace Patreon about how our season is shaping up tbh. A smashing listen in the office today btw.

Kettlewell has been clear that we've brought him in as a project because we think we might be able to get a turn out him but as others have mentioned due to injuries to literally every other senior striker at the club (until we brought Oli Shaw in on deadline day) it's meant that Bair has been playing significantly more than I'd imagine either he or Kettlewell expected when he arrived at the club.

What Kettlewell has been good at generally is focussing on what players strengths are and just asking them to do that. Which is broadly what he's done with Bair - he's not expected to be a replacement for KVV (and never was) which I noticed some folk on another forum getting entirely bent out of shape over for *reasons* but instead he's been asked to play up top and generally facilitate getting guys like Spittal, Slattery, Paton and Miller on the ball which is working out fairly well so far.

Is it sustainable in the longer term? Probably not but we've scored some absolutely smashing goals over the past few weeks and we're getting a turn out him until the other strikers get back to something approaching fitness.

Edited by capt_oats

11 hours ago, GreekPhoenix said:

He is kind of fine.

From what I have seen I rate him as a much better lone striker than Wilkinson or Obika. The 2nd half against Killie and before McGinn got sent off at Tynecaestle have been our best team performances of the season with Bair leading the line. He is a hard worker and is always looking to win the ball and keep the defenders occupied.

He has been playing due to fitness and this 4 centre mid formation came about as a bit of a fluke. It might all change when other guys get fit but right now he is doing his job as well as could be expected. He hasn't become a world beater by any stretch.

I am pished off with that BBC video of Slattery and Spittal's link up. That p***k Mulgrew saying we sit in a deep back 5 is just not true at all. Our defenders will aggressively push up and try to win the ball back.

7 hours ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

I am pished off with that BBC video of Slattery and Spittal's link up. That p***k Mulgrew saying we sit in a deep back 5 is just not true at all. Our defenders will aggressively push up and try to win the ball back.

TBF both are true to an extent. Yes, we try to press when it's there but if the opposition get set and are passing we have a clear plan B of sitting deep and narrow.

Which is completely fine ofc and one of the deeper reasons we're probably doing so well under SK isn't that we just do simple things well but as a team we're nailing the decision-making and organisational process in transitioning between said simple things.

There were a couple of pictures of the Hearts game which showed our shape brilliantly with the flat back five barely wider than the width of the six-yard box.

I suspect at one point this season we'll have a slight off day or we'll run up against the OF (or even Boyle/Youhan when they click) who take advantage of our 90-10 centre-width priority and give us a real hiding.

But week for week, while we'll inevitably return to losing some again soon, we're going to be competitive and tough to beat in almost every game on this form.

35 minutes ago, Comrie said:

Honestly surprised Ketts has done well for you (but pleased, he was a player and manager I always liked),

I guess like any one of us in our working life's you gain experience, learn from your mistakes and put that into practice when given another opportunity. Think the big thing has been him coming into the club at a fortunate time for us and being readiliy available to take over from Hammell when he had us in freefall. Kettlewell would at least have been aware of what we had, what the issues were and have enought managerial experience to know in his own mind how he might fix it rather than someone else coming in cold.