Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

2 hours ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

I don't know how anyone can suggest we go back to 3-5-2. All the performances in that system were shocking and the quality of our striking options is not great.

I do get that view.

But I'd argue, although the the 3-4-2-1 looks nice, and has had some success it's now well known by the rest of the league and fairly easy to defend against.

Playing it ongoing I think will probably end up in more hard luck stories and eventually burn out Spittal and/or Slattery. 

If we had 1 good striker as a focal point I'd be into it forever 

2 hours ago, Casagolda said:

It certainly feels like Kettlewell’s recruited for playing a 352 and then(due to injuries) stumbled onto the fact that the 3421 system works better. As such, we’ve only got 5 midfielders for 4 midfield positions where as shortly we’ll have 5 senior strikers potentially vying for 1 slot in the team. 

I would say you can’t possibly drop Paton on current form. He was outstanding again yesterday and motm for me. Where as Miller is the clubs golden goose, I’m sure he’ll need rested at points this season but when fit he’s generally going to be in that shop window.

You obviously can’t drop Spittal or Slattery either mind. So it’s a tough one for Kettlewell. This midfield 4 is genuinely excellent and a joy to watch, do you break that up just to get Oli Shaw or Conor Wilkinson on the park?? I’m not so sure. I’m not convinced either of those two could perform the role big Theo has for the team recently either.

Personally, I would like to see us try Spencer on the right and Gent on the left in this current system before we change anything else. I feel their pace and energy down the flanks could alleviate some of the pressure on the midfield at times and potentially offer us more of a threat in the final third. 

Aye I think that's all true. Really tough one.

Energetic wingbacks, on their correct, side option there is a good shout. Feel a bit sorry for SOD but I think Spencer on the right and Soure or Gent on the left is better for the team overall.

Edited by eliphas

It depends on Biereth, was he a flash in the pan or the real deal, would we play him up on his own or does he need a partner to distract the likes of Dunne?

The 2 up may not have looked as pretty but you can’t argue with the run of results.

We have 90 minutes to play a mix of styles, Kettlewell needs to decide which formation to start with and the right time to change it. 

In the main the choice will be between Miller and Paton or a second striker, we have a season to share out the duties. 

Edited by ropy

3 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

Ach let's take a day aff and then start looking forward to Livi.

Maybe even an early week match thread we can participate in (are their fans wee bams like the previous two?)

*Previous 3

1 hour ago, ropy said:

It depends on Biereth, was he a flash in the pan or the real deal, would we play him up on his own or does he need a partner to distract the likes of Dunne?

The 2 up may not have looked as pretty but you can’t argue with the run of results.

We have 90 minutes to play a mix of styles, Kettlewell needs to decide which formation to start with and the right time to change it. 

In the main the choice will be between Miller and Paton or a second striker, we have a season to share out the duties. 

That nails it for me to be honest. 

49 minutes ago, qpfc said:

Think he’ll do a job for us ? 

There's a bit of discussion about him a couple of pages back.

This is also a good listen from Phil Hay who's the Leeds correspondent for The Athletic and is worth your time (assuming he signs - otherwise you've just spent 16 minutes listening to people talking about a former Motherwell and Leeds youth player).

8 minutes ago, Allroy for Prez said:

I get that Kettlewell doesn’t play with wingers but I would’ve definitely taken McKinstry as an option off the bench. 

For a guy lauded for changing formation shape to change an entire half of football (Killie,Hibs) you'd think he would 

1 hour ago, Stevie Kirk said:

Having a wee issue in trying to purchase tickets for the Livy game. I’m only getting options to buy Senior or Student tickets there seems to be no option for full adult tickets. Anybody else having this issue? 

Ask the green brigade , they will give you some pointers.

2 hours ago, Stevie Kirk said:

Having a wee issue in trying to purchase tickets for the Livy game. I’m only getting options to buy Senior or Student tickets there seems to be no option for full adult tickets. Anybody else having this issue? 

This is what I get, I had to log in (from a previous purchase)

4666D26A-4609-46A2-BE27-1A3825E5208B.png