Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

1 hour ago, Richie said:

That’s the move he should have taken in the first place in my opinion. Similar to Hickey & Ferguson. 

Would be an international player by now if he did. However wanting to stay home for his burd to finish uni has essentially imo stalled his career. Certainly hasn’t developed well at Celtic and will cost us a fortune in sell on. 

4 minutes ago, JamesP_81 said:

I'll take that  €10M in January option the boy was offering.  What's our sell on again? 

I’m sure it’s only a profit sell on we have. So essentially if Celtic sell him for less than what they paid for him we get nothing. But 15% of profit on any sell over that.

Cant for the hell of me remember where I saw that. 

37 minutes ago, wellboy1991 said:

I’m sure it’s only a profit sell on we have. So essentially if Celtic sell him for less than what they paid for him we get nothing. But 15% of profit on any sell over that.

Cant for the hell of me remember where I saw that. 

We'd also be due a pro-rata share of 5% of the overall fee as a solidarity payment for development.

26 minutes ago, gannonball said:

He's out of contract in Summer so will be going nowhere near that I'm afraid 

Essentially this ^^.

Why would any team pay more than a few million to a player that is not a regular starter at Celtic who can sign a contract for free in January.

Even then it is highly unlikely Celtic will even recoup the money they gave us for him. 

AC Milan (or any team) could give him a signing on fee of £1-2m and they would likely get there man if this rumour has any truth to it. Unlikely AC Milan signing Turnbull next transfer window will secure them the Serie A title. I am sure they would be prepared to wait..

As for Saturday, we were heading towards looking for a Gent - Spencer wing back pairing with someone partnering Mika up front.  I hope the Celtic game was seen as a one off and not a template for future success. Team selection needs to be more sophisticated than just repeating what gave us the last point we earned.

Pick a team for the Dundee game, pick a team to win.

57 minutes ago, ropy said:

As for Saturday, we were heading towards looking for a Gent - Spencer wing back pairing with someone partnering Mika up front.  I hope the Celtic game was seen as a one off and not a template for future success. Team selection needs to be more sophisticated than just repeating what gave us the last point we earned.

Pick a team for the Dundee game, pick a team to win.

With Slattery missing I assume he would stick with Butcher in midfield. We should pick a team to win but I would always (especially in the run we are on) focus on selecting a team not to lose and hope that we can get the rub of the green to get that elusive win.

Ketts mentions we have circa 14 senior players to select from what with McGinn, Souare and Miller injured and Slattery suspended. 

So in summary I think he will pick a team with the options he has simply because he has little choice. With Slattery missing then that does give scope for an extra forward player than what we started with at Celtic Park. Someone to play behind Biereth and someone who can affect the midfield also. Likely to Bair or Wilkinson with Obika coming off the bench as and when needed. 

6 hours ago, CoF said:

even his penalty against us at the weekend was just classy, 

Aye the big fiveheededcunt slotted it right in the corner. Oozed class. I would have loved it if it wasn't against us.

Leagues top scorer I'm sure someone said this morning in the chat.

1 hour ago, welldaft said:

With Slattery missing I assume he would stick with Butcher in midfield. We should pick a team to win but I would always (especially in the run we are on) focus on selecting a team not to lose and hope that we can get the rub of the green to get that elusive win.

Ketts mentions we have circa 14 senior players to select from what with McGinn, Souare and Miller injured and Slattery suspended. 

So in summary I think he will pick a team with the options he has simply because he has little choice. With Slattery missing then that does give scope for an extra forward player than what we started with at Celtic Park. Someone to play behind Biereth and someone who can affect the midfield also. Likely to Bair or Wilkinson with Obika coming off the bench as and when needed. 

Did Kettlewell confirm that Slattery is suspended?  I hope he doesn’t sit this one out then play next Saturday against St Johnstone when I thought his suspension should kick in.

The most recent SFA suspension list is 2nd November so no help there.

1 hour ago, ropy said:

Did Kettlewell confirm that Slattery is suspended?  I hope he doesn’t sit this one out then play next Saturday against St Johnstone when I thought his suspension should kick in.

The most recent SFA suspension list is 2nd November so no help there.

Aye he says it at the top of his press conf.

I think Turnbull has had a raw deal of it at Celtic, especially considering in his first season, he was more or less the only player who turned out positively for them.

I understand how he his style didn't quite fit the pace under Postecoglu, but his goals and assists rate when on the pitch is incredible. 

Surely, there's a top team that could make a player out of that.

15 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

I think Turnbull has had a raw deal of it at Celtic, especially considering in his first season, he was more or less the only player who turned out positively for them.

I understand how he his style didn't quite fit the pace under Postecoglu, but his goals and assists rate when on the pitch is incredible. 

Who'd have thought that a rising star in a Scottish team moving to one of the old firm wouldn't be the best move for them ? Hopefully he's still young enough for this to not permanently damage his career as he is more than capable of strolling into any of the major European leagues and absolutely tearing them up.  

2 minutes ago, JamesP_81 said:

Who'd have thought that a rising star in a Scottish team moving to one of the old firm wouldn't be the best move for them ? Hopefully he's still young enough for this to not permanently damage his career as he is more than capable of strolling into any of the major European leagues and absolutely tearing them up.  

Hes 24, has 6 cup medals in his pocket with potentially more to come, and has played in the Champions League.

I suspect his next move will be a sideways one at best (which Celtic fans will claim is a downgrade) but ultimately when you're David Turnbull and you've had the injury problems he has, you probably want to achieve as much as you can as early as you can.

49 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

I think I'm kind of echoing something that @Desp has alluded to in the past in that the problem with Turnbull, in so much as it's a problem, is that he's the sort of player that you kind of have to build your team around or at the very least free him up to just let him cook and that's a big ask at Celtic.

I've never actually thought he's a #10, I've always seen him more as an #8 which is why I think why the physical aspect of his game gets called into question.

The idea that moving to Celtic "hasn't worked" that you see flying around is a bit of a nonsense tbh.

Like, he hasn't kicked on as you might have expected especially with Postecoglu sidelining him for a season but as @RandomGuy. says if he leaves he'll have a league and numerous cup winner's medals along with a bunch of Champions League games under his belt.

If he's able to leverage a decent move be it in January or at the end of the season on a free then he'll have got exactly what (I assume) he wanted out of it.

Let's face it, while I don't know what offers he had on the table when he left us, I'd guess that the options he's likely to have now off the back of 100+ games for Celtic will be more appealing than he would have had as a 21 year old coming off the back of a major injury and 41 games for Motherwell.

That said, speaking purely from the POV of an outsider it kind of feels like his face has never really fitted at Parkhead because it's always been clear that he's seen it as a stepping stone and coming off the back of him knocking their "magnificent" offer back initially means that that particular section of their fanbase who want to be pandered to (and every club has them) were never going to take to him and the pejorative "he's a Motherwell level player" patter that Celtic Twitter if fond of rinsing has got really fucking old, really fucking quickly.

Edited by capt_oats

1 hour ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

Ryan Christie/Stuart Armstrong level player and, if he’s lucky, he’ll get a move to a club around that bottom end EPL/Top of the Championship level club if and when he decides to leave Celtic.

Thats not to slate him or any of those guys either. Turnbull is a better player than anyone in my team although there is one who could end up as good as him in a few years. If that player ended up at a Bournemouth or Southampton level club in a few years then I would be delighted.