Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

19 hours ago, wellboy1991 said:

I always thought DT was miles ahead of Ferguson but he’s at the moment IMO way behind him. Celtic as a lot of us expected and anticipated ruined him.

I dont want to sound like a dick, but it sounds like youre simply wrong on both counts.

I think Ferguson being around for so long dulled people in this country to how good he actually was atba young age. He was 21y, controlling the midfield for one of the best clubs in the country, and hitting double figures for goals, the season Turnbull moved to Celtic. Turnbull literally exploding on the scene so quickly chucked the excitement factor onto his side.

Turnbull probably now suffering from similar. Its been so long since he broke through that the excitement is gone, and people lose interest. Hes sort of just merged into the woodwork at Celtic now. Ferguson doing the more exciting thing so people seeing him as better.

Ultimately i think theyre probably similar quality wise, but it depends on what you want as theyre different styles. I wouldnt be stunned if in 3/4 years theyre playing beside each other for Scotland.

Motherwell fans have an artificially low view of Ferguson because he never got out of Alan Campbell's pocket against us. You could see on Sportscene he was good, he was talked up in the media all the time and when you finally see him in person he doesn't kick the ball.

It's obviously not fair or representative but a quirk which created a strong impression.

He probably caught something from Joe Lewis.

18 hours ago, thisGRAEME said:

TBF, everyone is different. I don't know Turnbull, Ferguson, Hickey or Doig, but I don't think it's a terribly big leap to assume they're all pretty different people. 

Same as kids going to University, some are ready at 17, some aren't ready when they're 20, and ultimately taking that leap at 17 when they're not ready can ultimately be more damaging for them going forward as they lose confidence and in some cases, never return to it. 

For every Ferguson, Hickey or Doig who go on and thrive on the other side of Europe, there will be a Calum Elliot who's homesick at the other end of the M8.

100%. 

I think a lot of people think young football players are all confident fitba career robots with good advisers around them. 

They are all different, like any other young kids and all surrounded by different people.

For what it's worth I think DT has done pretty well out the Celtic move. As much as I didn't want him to move there.

He's not moved onto that next career level where they are demanding 20 million for him and he's strolling the Scotland squad. But, he's played over 100 odd times, closing in on 150, scored 30 odd goals with nearly as many assists.

He's in a great spot to move somewhere decent, continue to earn CASH,  and look for regular starting spot I'd say 

Edited by eliphas

He's been in and out of the Celtic team due to styles of play and managers tactics, not because of any failings as a player. He's still a class act.

The demands of the Celtic support are mental, and their view that he's not 'Celtic class' skews the perception of him and what he brings to a team. For his limited game time over the past couple of seasons, his stats still stack up incredibly well. They see themselves as being and deserving elite European level quality (which they don't think DT is), yet every season it's proven they're far from it when they get handed their arse in almost every  Champions league match they play. I'm not saying he should be on the radar of Real Madrid, but he is a very technically gifted player.

If he gets a move to a team that plays to his strengths, and a manager who'll give him a run of games, he'll 100% kick on and realise his full potential and, if he's brave enough to take the plunge, going abroad would be his best chance of achieving that imho. 

Wonder if the Ross County team bus heads back up the road or takes a wee detour to Fir Park for a wee day out. Would imagine their management team will take the opportunity to pay a visit. 

Then the small matter of them having a few days more rest than us for game on Tuesday. May work for us but probably against us depending if we pick up any cards / injuries etc.

At least the Livi all weather pitch was……..never mind. 

Edited by welldaft

53 minutes ago, 'WellDel said:

He's been in and out of the Celtic team due to styles of play and managers tactics, not because of any failings as a player. He's still a class act.

The demands of the Celtic support are mental, and their view that he's not 'Celtic class' skews the perception of him and what he brings to a team. For his limited game time over the past couple of seasons, his stats still stack up incredibly well. They see themselves as being and deserving elite European level quality (which they don't think DT is), yet every season it's proven they're far from it when they get handed their arse in almost every  Champions league match they play. I'm not saying he should be on the radar of Real Madrid, but he is a very technically gifted player.

If he gets a move to a team that plays to his strengths, and a manager who'll give him a run of games, he'll 100% kick on and realise his full potential and, if he's brave enough to take the plunge, going abroad would be his best chance of achieving that imho. 

Most of my mates are Celtic fans and most want to keep him and see him more. The loudest weirdos on Twitter might think the above.  But from my experience anyway, he's held in fairly high regard. Then again all my pals are normal folk. Except for being Celtic fans obviously.

6 minutes ago, eliphas said:

Most of my mates are Celtic fans and most want to keep him and see him more. The loudest weirdos on Twitter might think the above.  But from my experience anyway, he's held in fairly high regard. Then again all my pals are normal folk. Except for being Celtic fans obviously.

Aye,  I should have said the demands of sections of the Celtic support are mental, there is a sensible element among them somewhere. 

2 hours ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Motherwell fans have an artificially low view of Ferguson because he never got out of Alan Campbell's pocket against us. You could see on Sportscene he was good, he was talked up in the media all the time and when you finally see him in person he doesn't kick the ball.

It's obviously not fair or representative but a quirk which created a strong impression.

He probably caught something from Joe Lewis.

Seen Ferguson a few times against us for Hamilton youths and you are spot on about Allan Campbell pissing all over him , in fact he was sent off twice against us because he was so frustrated at being dominated by Allan that he started kicking everything that moved. A dirty get.

1 hour ago, 'WellDel said:

Sorry but not being able to put in a shift in terms of movement/pressing to the same extent as the other midfielders must be seen as a failing as a player to some extent?

The 'Celtic Class' thing is a term I never really hear either tbh as the class of player now is very different to that we could obtain 20 years ago. Back to Turnbull however I think he's a very decent player but unfortunately he's not as good as the other 3 (McGregor, O'Riley & Hatate) when there all fit. I hope he stays but wouldn't blame him either if he left. Can see 2 out of the 3 leaving in the near future though so he may fancy his chances more with us going ahead especially with the praise Rodgers has given him this season.

Edited by gannonball

Just now, Allroy for Prez said:

Lose today and I’m on the Kettlewell out bus I’m afraid. 

No win in 11 and 3 points from 33 is beyond embarrassing. 

Got what we wanted in team selection (lwb apart obviously) and the positive early goal but if you defend like an absolute pub team you'll get beat... massive improvement needed.

Ending a game with 10 men, and your central midfield pairing is Spittal & Wilkinson. 

Wee Davor must be absolutely howling. 

Lose on Tuesday and Kettlewell should be punted. 

Not that I disagree but having not sacked him after Hearts the decision was basically to give him until St Johnstone next week and losing Tuesday won't change that.

It's notable and admirable the players are still keeping going for him but it looks beyond salvation without a change in the dugout.