Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

16 minutes ago, one m in Motherwell said:

I guess if Montgomery is 'a thing' then it means there's no Penney or Furlong just now.  It's a pretty low risk move as cover/competition for Gent, and if it fills a gap then so be it.

All things considered I'd prefer us to try and develop Ewan Wilson into a long term LB option but I guess it'll depend how he's fared out on loan, I've got no sense as to whether he's on a Max Johnston-esque trajectory at the mo.

I really hoped Wilson was the next one off the conveyer belt. Especially as Hammell name checked him and Max together more than once. Looks like he's started the last few off the bench for Stirling. So, that's not a great sign perhaps 

Edited by eliphas

Vaguely related to Penney but I clocked this absolutely wild take on Twitter the other day.

I mean, I definitely can't think of anything else that might have had more of an impact on our defensive record after Penney left. :lol:

Wing back definitely Montgomerys position as he likes to attack. He didnt seem your typical OF loanee as he actually put effort in and showed aggression, loved a fist pump in front of the East Stand too which draws love easily.

Was never sure if he was a good player held back by our shite team, or an average player made to look better than that due to our shite team. He does things well but not consistently, and i never felt he stood a chance of playing for Celtic really.

In saying that i thought Bair was hopeless and Ralstons loan spell was a sign he was headed to bottom half mediocrity. 

12 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

To be so fucking focused on LB seems weird. 

For whatever reason, I honestly think he just doesn’t fancy/trust Gent.

Whilst I wasn’t going all Helen Lovejoy about it like some folk, I did find his singling out of Gent for his mistake post match against Hibs slightly out of character for Kettlewell. It’s not something I can ever really recall him doing much of before and let’s face it, he’s had plenty of opportunities to do so this season. 

After hardly kicking a ball for Fleetwood, Celtic won’t be sending Montgomery here if he’s not going to play. Especially when it seems like they have several options to choose from. So I imagine it’ll be back to the bench for Gent and getting chucked on along with a plethora of strikers when we’re a couple of goals down. 

Also knowing Kettlewell, I wouldn’t be surprised if SODS ends up being our first choice rwb for the 2nd half of the season. 

Edited by Casagolda

Just to confirm. I don't think looking for competition for Gent is a bad thing. 
We're desperately short at RB I reckon though. SOD and McGinn could play there but I prefer them at centre half. Well SOD.... 

If he doesn't like Gent can we send him back? Use Wilson as a back up?

10 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

Just to confirm. I don't think looking for competition for Gent is a bad thing. 
We're desperately short at RB I reckon though. SOD and McGinn could play there but I prefer them at centre half. Well SOD.... 

If he doesn't like Gent can we send him back? Use Wilson as a back up?

💯 agree with all the above. That’s exactly what it should be tbh, why develop two players for other clubs and not our own. 

We need to remember aswell that Montgomery won’t be able to play against Celtic so we will need another option that’s for sure. 

Tbf I don't necessarily think Kettlewell doesn't trust Gent. Certainly not enough to send him back.

It's probably more the case that he's less inclined to go through the 2nd half of the season with him as our first choice - if that makes sense.

On RB I wondered if we might be holding off to see if we'd get Spencer back given we're the only other team he can play for now but I see he started for Huddersfield against Plymouth at the weekend so I'm guessing that ship has sailed.

Fully expect him to be replaced by another regen with a similar profile though.

Edited by capt_oats

That’s a shitter for both the team and the player. We’ll be sliding down those fouls won/comitted tables that P&B posts on Twitter. 

Between injuries, departures and other simply not being good enough, I reckon we need; LWB, RWB, CB, CM (x2?) and a forward. Could be a busy couple of weeks! 

43 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

On RB I wondered if we might be holding off to see if we'd get Spencer back given we're the only other team he can play for now but I see he started for Huddersfield against Plymouth at the weekend so I'm guessing that ship has sailed.

He's started twice I've noticed so as you said I doubt he's coming back. 

I don't pay attention as closely to other clubs obviously but I wonder if our rate of "non-matchday" injuries is worse than average - because it really feels that way going back to Robinson's time until now.