Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

12 hours ago, thisGRAEME said:

Fwiw, I still don't really understand how we won the playoff.

I was in a total daze when I walked out of Ibrox after the first leg - it was literally the most un-Motherwell like thing that had ever happened. 

It's funny I was sorrrrrrrrrrt of the opposite. All the way up to the first game I kept saying I just had a feeling we were going to absolutely annihilate them.

Was still a strange feeling when it actually happened though!

50 minutes ago, Swello said:

I was in a total daze when I walked out of Ibrox after the first leg - it was literally the most un-Motherwell like thing that had ever happened. 

I was living in Dundee at the time, living out a rucksack at my pal's house and scared the shite out his dogs when the third one went in.

21 minutes ago, Al B said:

It's funny I was sorrrrrrrrrrt of the opposite. All the way up to the first game I kept saying I just had a feeling we were going to absolutely annihilate them.

Was still a strange feeling when it actually happened though!

You're a mad man! I was pinching myself throughout and even after it, couldn't understand what'd happened.

3 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Just as an aside lads, my new #goals is to be as fuckin cool as Richard Tait. 

No Dubai or Florida for him, just cutting about Barcelona, crossfitting and hanging about fruit markets. 

Genuinely hoping he rocks up at Primavera.

That's yer Chris Cadden a full Scotland international guys. That'll be the price-tag marked up again.

In all seriousness, credit to him. He's someone who you can genuinely say has taken his chance when it's been given to him. The attitude and application both he and Campbell seem to have sets them apart.

DebOnBlW4AEbsSH.jpg

Edit to add: Carson in goals for N. Ireland in their 0-0 against Panama too.

Edited by capt_oats

I really like Cadden, and I'm delighted for him to see in a Scotland shirt, but I do believe he's gone as far as he can with Motherwell.  If he is to improve further, I think he needs to move to a bigger club.  He must look at someone like Callum Paterson to see what could happen if he pushes on, while carrying a bit of luck. 

I'll be honest and say I think Paterson, even 12 months ago, was ahead of where Cadden is now, but I believe Cadden has all the tools to be as good as him if not better.  He just needs the right team with the right manager. 

Hey, if a Scotland cap or two will bump the price up by a couple of hundred grand for us, who am I to argue?

26 minutes ago, Desp said:

I really like Cadden, and I'm delighted for him to see in a Scotland shirt, but I do believe he's gone as far as he can with Motherwell.  If he is to improve further, I think he needs to move to a bigger club.  He must look at someone like Callum Paterson to see what could happen if he pushes on, while carrying a bit of luck. 

I'll be honest and say I think Paterson, even 12 months ago, was ahead of where Cadden is now, but I believe Cadden has all the tools to be as good as him if not better.  He just needs the right team with the right manager. 

Hey, if a Scotland cap or two will bump the price up by a couple of hundred grand for us, who am I to argue?

In fairness, I agree with that.

What's more, I get the feeling that both Cadden and Motherwell probably share a similar view. The key bit is as you say is him moving to the right team, with the right manager (and I'd add, the right players around him). I've said it before but I genuinely wouldn't be surprised if MFC and Cadden already have a rough idea of where his next move will be.

A year and a half ago he was being linked with Brighton, West Ham and Sunderland (amongst others) and in truth it would have felt a bit soon in the same way Erwin fucked it going to Leeds when he did but now he's sitting with 113 first team appearances under his belt (including 2 cup finals) and he's just made his full international debut. You could see him making a move to a Championship club like say; Sheffield United, Leeds, Preston (ie: clubs we've sold players to recently) and giving himself a decent platform to make a go of it.

Edited by capt_oats

For what it's worth, I disagree with both of you.

I don't think he's gone as far as he can at Motherwell, but he's certainly gone as far as he can at wing-back. Not a criticism of him, as he's performed admirably there in the main, but he isn't a wing-back. Every time he ends up playing in the final third (Thistle away being the most recent example), he's a much more useful player, as he is when he's in the middle driving the ball out.

28 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

For what it's worth, I disagree with both of you.

I don't think he's gone as far as he can at Motherwell, but he's certainly gone as far as he can at wing-back. Not a criticism of him, as he's performed admirably there in the main, but he isn't a wing-back. Every time he ends up playing in the final third (Thistle away being the most recent example), he's a much more useful player, as he is when he's in the middle driving the ball out.

I get where you're coming from, but the second half of your second paragraph is basically what Neil Warnock said about Callum Paterson.  Told him he wasn't a defender and put him in a position where he's excelled.

Maybe we're meaning the same thing here, as my feelings stem from the fact Robinson will more or less play him on the right hand side.  A change of scenery at a bigger club, say down south, may allow him to show his best form in his best position. 

Am I right in saying he's got 2 years left on his deal?  If we're wanting the biggest fee we can get, it'll be this summer we'll need to sell him. 

Am I right in saying he's got 2 years left on his deal?  If we're wanting the biggest fee we can get, it'll be this summer we'll need to sell him. 

His deal is up next summer but he’ll only be 22 so there would be a development fee applicable. IIRC when Hearts low-balled with their £100k offer last summer Robinson indicated that they’d estimated the compensation figure at around £650k (we were reported to have got £500k from Leeds for Erwin).

9 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

His deal is up next summer but he’ll only be 22 so there would be a development fee applicable. IIRC when Hearts low-balled with their £100k offer last summer Robinson indicated that they’d estimated the compensation figure at around £650k (we were reported to have got £500k from Leeds for Erwin).

This would presumably take another jump with the international cap...?

30 minutes ago, Desp said:

I get where you're coming from, but the second half of your second paragraph is basically what Neil Warnock said about Callum Paterson.  Told him he wasn't a defender and put him in a position where he's excelled.

Maybe we're meaning the same thing here, as my feelings stem from the fact Robinson will more or less play him on the right hand side.  A change of scenery at a bigger club, say down south, may allow him to show his best form in his best position. 

I get that as well, but I'd have put Paterson in as one of the best performers in the league, before his knee fell off. As impressive as Cadden is physically as well, Paterson is even a step above that, helped by the fact that he's mad as f**k. When he left, he carried enough weight to go to a big-ish Championship team and almost command a starting spot wherever that is on the field.

Cadden needs a year of charging about bodying people, IMO. He's more than capable of doing so, but I don't think he'd do it from full-back.

FWIW, I agree with @thisGRAEME.

Best game I’ve seen Cadden have in ages was the 2-2 game with Rangers where he was in the middle of park. With the way we play and his pace, power, engine etc I reckon it’s probably the best position for him at Fir Park- especially with the ability he has to break forward into the box which has been under-utilised. 

He done so to win the penalty that day against Rangers, he done similar at Hampden against Celtic when he was hauled down by Boyata, even thinking further back to the start of the season his goals against Morton and Queens Park came from him making runs from deep into the box. 

He’s done a more than admirable job at full back/wing back this season and it’s a credit to him that he does whatever jobs asked of him with minimum fuss. However, I’d like to see him get more of a chance to play in the opposition final third instead of spending most of the game defending in his own. 

Or use his Scotland caps to help punt him for decent cash, either or really.