Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

So that will pretty much rule us out of an away trip to certain Championship clubs then - that's a big flaw when the 2nd seeds are not going to change massively season to season. 

We qualify from that group and we do it as seeded. That is what needs to happen for us here.

Nothing, but nothing else is remotely acceptable.

I don't care if that sounds arrogant or 'Old firm-like' as no doubt it will to a section of our support, but we need to have a 'billy-big-baws' attitude to a group like this. We reached the final of this tournament last season, we are the top seed in this group and the top flight side. We are better than anyone else in the group and therefore we need to win it. I'm not saying we take anything for granted as we have no god given right to win any game of football, but with the correct attitude we will win this group and qualify as seeded for the next round.

Edited by MJC

9 hours ago, mjw said:

No.
First seeds home to second seeds in this format.

Basically another top league stitch up then.

Wouldn't want first seeds playing away at second seeds eh?  That'd be in danger of making it interesting.

Wouldn't want first seeds playing away at second seeds eh?  That'd be in danger of making it interesting.
I suppose they see that as being one of the benefits of being seeded although you would have thought avoiding the teams around you in the seedings would be enough. Strangely I thought when we drew rangers a few years ago we had to wait on the fixtures to find out if we would be home or away.

20 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

You know you don't have to watch the football, eh?

7 hours ago, thisGRAEME said:

You know you don't have to watch the football, eh?

I'm sorry. 

Imagine suggesting the deck may be stacked against the smaller clubs here and that a nice wee away day to Dumfries might be a bit more exciting, both in terms of playing Queen of the South and in terms of the group.

Unforgivable.   Once again my unreasonableness has been rightly chastened by a better fan than myself.

On 26/05/2018 at 11:34, Swello said:

So that will pretty much rule us out of an away trip to certain Championship clubs then - that's a big flaw when the 2nd seeds are not going to change massively season to season. 

It is a bit pish. We got Falkirk last time we were in the group stages and we've got them again, so the sensible option would be to reverse the fixture and send us through there. The way the fixtures are carved up, it's not going to happen.

Similarly, the north/ south regionalisation limits the different teams we are all going to see each season.

I like the concept of the league cup group stages, like many I think it's great for a bit of variety in opposition/ grounds to visit. But the way they have the format could quickly result in repetition of fixtures/ grounds, and the tournament going stale for folk as a result.

How did oor Lionel get on this season at Plymouth?

I watched a bit of the League 1 playoff final between Rotherham & Shrewsbury.  F*cking hell, the standard is that game was brutal. 

24 minutes ago, Desp said:

I watched a bit of the League 1 playoff final between Rotherham & Shrewsbury.  F*cking hell, the standard is that game was brutal. 

Going by their forum their fans seem quite keen to be shot of him if they can.

Adams signed him on a 2 year deal but they had a pretty brutal start to the season with 4 wins in the first 20 games. They were down around the relegation places until they finally found a bit of form mid-December. Their results from December onwards were ridiculous. They went from 24th and finished the season in 7th.

I know Transfermarkt isn't the most reliable for minutes played but 524 minutes over the course of a season isn't the best in a league with a 46 games.

5b0bd050cedc8_ScreenShot2018-05-28at10_47_27.png.ad6d03eab306c56b1da155223960fd0e.png

For the most part it looks like he was either an unused substitute or getting 10-20 mins off the bench: https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/lionel-ainsworth/leistungsdaten/spieler/13493

Edited by capt_oats

Coincidentally I was bored at work last week and ended up on YouTube watching through some of our games from the 13/14 season.

I’d forgotten just how good Lionel was that season- double figures for goals and assists in the league despite playing less than 30 games.  

Even though that team are generally remembered for winning ugly when Lionel, Vigurs and Faddy were on form we did play some decent stuff and scored a fair few cracking goals that season. 

2 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

Coincidentally I was bored at work last week and ended up on YouTube watching through some of our games from the 13/14 season.

I’d forgotten just how good Lionel was that season- double figures for goals and assists in the league despite playing less than 30 games.  

Even though that team are generally remembered for winning ugly when Lionel, Vigurs and Faddy were on form we did play some decent stuff and scored a fair few cracking goals that season. 

Because why the f**k not...

31 minutes ago, jam20 said:

It's mad that Lionel was replaced by frear.

Both players definitely don't work in a defensive set up, but at least Lionel had some amount of game changing moments and assists/set pieces. 

Not everyone's cup of tea but i would much rather pay my money to watch the likes of Lionel or Ciftci trying or pulling off something ridiculous than watch a bunch of hard working but less creative players. Hopefully we see a good mix next season. 

He wasn't really though. Frear was brought in to replace Johnson. I suppose that argument still stands in that case.

If anyone replaced Ainsworth, so to speak, it's Cadden IMO. By and large it was Cadden's relative consistency (and versatility) that ended up keeping Lionel out the side.

Edited by capt_oats

Lionel wouldn't have worked in the formation Robinson played last season, so it was probably the best that he moved on.  Don't get me wrong, I loved Lionel and he produced some absolutely tremendous goals that will live long in the memory, but he had more than his fair share of games where he done the square root of f**k all and was good as a man down. 

5 hours ago, Desp said:

Fairly Poor.  Got a few mates down that way and just doesn't fit how they play as Carey will usually play RW and drift in. 

The two games I made he was awful in both.

@ Wigan - he lasted 40 mins then subbed off from injury, the right back go subbed off after being constantly ripped apart, however got no support from Lionel.

@ Rochdale he came on after 70 mins, was pretty lazy, chased a long ball, pulled up and had to get subbed back off.