Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Will you Dossers now consider paying big Twadds and the rest what they are due?

Us fans personally? Nah. I think it was agreed that John Spencer would sort them all out.

15 minutes ago, Acaplegic said:

Must have made a few quid from the 2 non event Cup Finals

Or did the debt die with OldCo Motherwell?

3/10

Must try harder.

20 minutes ago, Acaplegic said:

You raise some genuinely interesting points.

37 minutes ago, MJC said:

I would honestly be looking to move McHugh on if that is atall possible. He's had a poor season overall and to end it with him, as captain, being substituted in a Scottish Cup Final after 55 minutes summed up his campaign. He is woeful in possession and is easily overpowered and that's the majority of weeks, not just against Celtic.

Build the midfield around Campbell and as for captaincy, I'd be giving it to Hartley.

Reading between the lines of Robinson's "we need more energy, more pace and maybe a little bit more ownership of the game in the middle of the park" statement then it's difficult not to feel that's laid squarely at McHugh's door.

We've just signed Rose and Grimshaw for an additional year each, Campbell's signed up to 2021. By process of elimination it seems that if he's talking about improving in the middle of the park then he's looking at McHugh and Bigi's area of midfield. The question for me is whether that means moving contracted players on or not. It seems unlikely we're going be piling more midfielders into the squad without someone moving on.

I'm a fan of a lot of what McHugh does in terms of breaking up play, interceptions, winning headers etc but at the same time the number of times he's caught on the ball or gives away possession in the middle of the park is absolutely terrifying. It's the one position we absolutely need to upgrade. Bigi seems to have the composure and technical ability Robinson's after but not the physicality while McHugh has the physicality but not the composure.

Either way a player in that position who could dominate and dictate tempo would be huge for us but I'd imagine it's quite awkward politically given McHugh's the captain.

Then again Robinson was totally fine with telling Lasley, McFadden, Pearson, McManus and Hammell that their time was up so I'd imagine he'd be able to handle this situation.

Realistically there are 3 players who don't really fit at the moment (but "do a job"). I doubt Frear was sold on Motherwell on a promise of playing left wing back (a position he admitted he'd never played before when he ended up shoehorned in there). Similarly, I can't imagine Bigi arrived thinking his role in the team would be as an option off the bench and then you've got McHugh who's struggled in certain aspects of the role he's playing.

It really depends on whether our squad improvement is dependent of shipping bodies out of the 3 or 4 areas of the park Robinson's looking to upgrade in.

Edited by capt_oats

20 minutes ago, Acaplegic said:

Another Accies fan lecturing us about financial responsibility???

Lifted this from Steelmen but apparently Scott Burns is reporting that Celtic have offered Ciftci a pay-off and we've offered him a contract. Can't seem to find any link so I'm assuming it's in the print edition.

Either way, make it happen Burrows. Make it happen.

16 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Lifted this from Steelmen but apparently Scott Burns is reporting that Celtic have offered Ciftci a pay-off and we've offered him a contract. Can't seem to find any link so I'm assuming it's in the print edition.

Either way, make it happen Burrows. Make it happen.

image.png.bbd0edd1368d53075d8efa417c13e311.png

Miss u so much. cnt believe u r gone. i just wnt 2 run 2 u.

Edited by well fan for life

Robinson doesn't strike me as naive - and I'd assume that we'd only get into a deal with Ciftci (who, you'd imagine would be at the top of our wage scale) if he thought he could get - and keep -him fit. This would be a a bit of a gamble but if it paid off - totally worth it IMO. 

Just now, Swello said:

Robinson doesn't strike me as naive - and I'd assume that we'd only get into a deal with Ciftci (who, you'd imagine would be at the top of our wage scale) if he thought he could get - and keep -him fit. This would be a a bit of a gamble but if it paid off - totally worth it IMO. 

I'm really interested to see what Nadir would be like with a Robinson pre-season in him. When you see the monsters we've produced, even with players who were here under McGhee we clearly work very hard on fitness. He seemed to spend the first half of the season out of the team and not enjoying his football, but according to that Vice interview he likes Lasley & Robinson as coaches.

He's also a player who is a bit different to what we currently have. With the best will in the world we currently have a team of battering rams, I would like to see us add some cultured football next season. The end of the Accies game with Bigi & Ciftci fully taking the piss was excellent entertainment.

15 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

He's also a player who is a bit different to what we currently have. With the best will in the world we currently have a team of battering rams, I would like to see us add some cultured football next season. The end of the Accies game with Bigi & Ciftci fully taking the piss was excellent entertainment.

Everyone says that they want us to play "more football" - so it would be interesting to see people's reactions to this signing if it happens - as that is literally what we would be getting. I think in an ultra-fit team, there is room for players that aren't naturally in that mould but offer something that our peers won't have.

Cifcti is never going to be a gym machine like Tait or Main - but if he could do what Jim Paterson (as the best example of a "skilled non-athlete"I can think of) did after McGhee's pre-season in Austria - ie, come back in his peak condition - it would make all the difference.

1 minute ago, Swello said:

Everyone says that they want us to play "more football" - so it would be interesting to see people's reactions to this signing if it happens - as that is literally what we would be getting. I think in an ultra-fit team, there is room for players that aren't naturally in that mould but offer something that our peers won't have.

Cifcti is never going to be a gym machine like Tait or Main - but if he could do what Jim Paterson (as the best example of a "skilled non-athlete"I can think of) did after McGhee's pre-season in Austria - ie, come back in his peak condition - it would make all the difference.

Yeah, I'm absolutely up for it. I think one of the criticisms you could level at this team is we only ever tried to play our high pressure, running over the top of teams despite the opposition. Thistle away at the start of December we lined up with a team of storming about the place, but shipped 3 goals before half time (largely due to Griffiths not having hands). The second half came around and we brought on Tanner & Bigi and proceeded to rip Thistle to bits by playing actual football but obviously we had given ourselves too much to do.  It's a bit "horses for courses", obviously some games we need McHugh and Grimshaw to win headers and tackle everything, but against some teams I'd like to see us play passing football.

He's obviously never going to be a Tait/Cadden/Main/Campbell level of storming around the park for 90 minutes, but if he came back 100% fit I think he'd be a superb signing.

I could live with Main, Bowman, Ciftci and Scott as our striker options tbh. Ciftci’s a a risk of course but so is every signing we’re going to make when we are scouring League 2/Conference.

I’d personally really like us to keep Bigi and centre our midfield around him and Campbell but if we pursue the same route as this season I can’t see that happening (nothing against that btw, 2 cup finals and 2 belters of days/nights out is tip top by me).  In that scenario can’t see anything but the exit door for Bigi.

Carson looks a goner so we’ll need to replace him. We will be doing very very well to get anyone at the same level so you’ve gotta think in that area at least we are gonna be downgraded next season.

I’m gutted the season ended when it did tbh. I haven’t been so hyped for a Motherwell game, perhaps ever, than the one I was last Saturday. Despite the disappointment it’s really left me wanting more. Hopefully we can kick on next season and if we don’t at least we’ll have the enjoyment of a Ya Bezzer ‘I told you so’ melt down. 

Edited by Londonwell

I think if Ciftci were to sign, he'll need someone like a Bigirimana to play too.  I did note that Robison alluded to having a little more creativity in the side next season, so here's hoping that pays off. 

With all the respect in the world to a midfield of Grimshaw, McHugh and Campbell, with Andy Rose for backup, that's f*ck all use to Nadir.  Especially when you're adding in the wing-backs of Tait & Cadden. 

I do hope Bigi stays, and Robinson finds a way to build the team around him, but I do know he's been wanting to leave for a while now.

I saw both MOH and the other Rangers player who Motherwell have inquired for at the game on Saturday.  I don't know if MOH is telling the truth about being there to watch Motherwell. I did see him walk through the Motherwell support after the game accompanying a little boy in a Celtic top.  I also saw him acknowledge the other Rangers player, who watched the game among the Motherwell support. 

I also saw the other Rangers player in the Clockwork bar before the Motherwell game with a few Well fans. It wasn't Miller. 

By the way, Tam Cowan walked right past him and MOH after the game without noticing him or talking to either ( as far as I could see ). You missed a scoop there, Tam

Edited by WellView

1 hour ago, well fan for life said:

I'm really interested to see what Nadir would be like with a Robinson pre-season in him. When you see the monsters we've produced, even with players who were here under McGhee we clearly work very hard on fitness. He seemed to spend the first half of the season out of the team and not enjoying his football, but according to that Vice interview he likes Lasley & Robinson as coaches.

This is 100% where I'm at on the Ciftci conversation as well. We've got a team who will graft but someone with a bit of mercurial talent is something that could be the #difference when it comes to the other mid-lower sides in the league.

Even an apparently half-fit Nadz offers a bit of quality that we've often lacked. Without wanting to hit out with the cliche, in the sort of market we're going to be shopping we're going to be limited in terms of the natural ability that's available to us.

I know I'm slightly confirmation biasing here but when you look at the results after the winter break with him in the starting line-up we were improved from where we were in December. Yes, there were a myriad of other factors that contributed there but it'd be remiss to not at least acknowledge that he was offering something we had been lacking in terms of build up and creating.

Even in terms of the mundane stuff of holding the ball up and drawing fouls up the top end of the park Ciftci offers something.

To take that further the drop off in goals when both he and Tanner were both injured was marked. We've failed to score in 5 of the 10 games he hasn't started either through injury or with him on the bench and we only won 2 of those 10 (Dundee and Thistle), drew 4 and lost 4. Clearly you can apply the same logic to Tanner's absence as well.

Of the games he has started we're P 11 W 7 D 2 L 2. Clearly he's been subbed off in more than a few of those and there are times he's looked like he's blowing out his arse but to go from 0 wins in 6 without Moult in December and only 4 goals (3 from Tanner and 1 from Bowman) in that time to 2 losses from 11 suggests there's a space for him in the squad assuming the financials make sense for everyone.

Edited by capt_oats

22 minutes ago, WellView said:

I saw both MOH and the other Rangers player who Motherwell have inquired for at the game on Saturday.  I don't know if MOH is telling the truth about being there to watch Motherwell. I did see him walk through the Motherwell support after the game accompanying a little boy in a Celtic top.  I also saw him acknowledge the other Rangers player, who watched the game among the Motherwell support. 

I also saw the other Rangers player in the Clockwork bar before the Motherwell game with a few Well fans. It wasn't Miller. 

By the way, Tam Cowan walked right past him and MOH after the game without noticing him or talking to either ( as far as I could see ). You missed a scoop there, Tam

Indeed. I've got to say, I was impressed by Carlos Pena's English, considering he's only really been over here a few months.  Boy likes a pint as well.