Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

1 hour ago, Ron Aldo said:

Always said that Celtic was the wrong move for Turnbull from a development point of view but, at the same time, can just about understand why he went. 

I wonder what he must think when he sees someone like Lewis Ferguson who, IMO, Turnbull was a better player than he was with us and Ferguson was at Aberdeen. As it is, Ferguson is in Serie A captaining a Bologna side who are challenging for Europe whereas Turnbull is staring down the barrel of a move to some mid table Championship jobbers. 

Tbh, I completely get why he chose Celtic and I don't really blame him.

At the time of the original move he'd played fewer than 40 first team games for us and the options that were on the table seemed to be Celtic or Norwich (with the caveat they were going to start him off in their u23s). I don't know David Turnbull but from the outside looking in it seems like the value judgement he made was that he'd get first team football quicker at Celtic than he would at Norwich add that to the whole not having to relocate and it makes sense.

The fact that he finished that season as Celtic's POTY and YPOTY along with the PFA YPOTY kind of validates that decision.

I'd guess that he had a plan in his head along the lines that he'd progress at Celtic for a couple of seasons then follow the same sort of path as Armstrong and/or Christie. It feels like the sliding doors moment was Celtic - not to put too fine a point on it - fucking The 10. 

All of a sudden there's a new manager in place whose philosophy is pretty much the opposite of Turnbull's skillset, he picks up another injury and that's that. He's out of the picture and I dunno, maybe I'm wrong, but it also feels like he kind of made his decision that he wasn't planning on sticking around at Parkhead a while ago and rightly or wrongly that along with the fact that he kb'd Celtic's "magnificent" offer right back at the start has meant that the vibes have been off with him and the sort of Celtic support who actually care about that sort of thing.

I had a swatch at Kerrydale Street earlier and he doesn't exactly seem popular.

I hadn't revisited this in a while. It's still very funny.

Edited by capt_oats

20 hours ago, Phillips455 said:

This will do us well for this seasons Scottish cup final.

I don't believe we have scored in a final since the league cup in 2005 (I think it was? The 5-1 against rangers).

OMFG I have flashbacks to that...after the game went to Mount Florida rail station to see it wall to wall Rangers fans and they spotted me coming down the stairs and they all started cheering, clapping and laughing all the way down 🫣

Edited by Well Well

My excitement for deadline day is totally irrational, as there's rarely upside for clubs like ours.

Refreshing this board and instagram for the next day and a half for the announcement of the next iterations of Tony Straker and Oli Shaw is depressing, but it sounds like that's where things are going.

2 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Tbh, I completely get why he chose Celtic and I don't really blame him.

At the time of the original move he'd played fewer than 40 first team games for us and the options that were on the table seemed to be Celtic or Norwich (with the caveat they were going to start him off in their u23s). I don't know David Turnbull but from the outside looking in it seems like the value judgement he made was that he'd get first team football quicker at Celtic than he would at Norwich add that to the whole not having to relocate and it makes sense.

The fact that he finished that season as Celtic's POTY and YPOTY along with the PFA YPOTY kind of validates that decision.

I'd guess that he had a plan in his head along the lines that he'd progress at Celtic for a couple of seasons then follow the same sort of path as Armstrong and/or Christie. It feels like the sliding doors moment was Celtic - not to put too fine a point on it - fucking The 10. 

All of a sudden there's a new manager in place whose philosophy is pretty much the opposite of Turnbull's skillset, he picks up another injury and that's that. He's out of the picture and I dunno, maybe I'm wrong, but it also feels like he kind of made his decision that he wasn't planning on sticking around at Parkhead a while ago and rightly or wrongly that along with the fact that he kb'd Celtic's "magnificent" offer right back at the start has meant that the vibes have been off with him and the sort of Celtic support who actually care about that sort of thing.

I had a swatch at Kerrydale Street earlier and he doesn't exactly seem popular.

I hadn't revisited this in a while. It's still very funny.

Most of pals are Celtic fans (it's really great at times...sigh) and they are in two camps really with DT. Probably 50/50 - some who think he's too slow and never done it against the big teams and others who rate him and would like to see him play more often. The latter accepting O',Riley keeps him out the team.

He needs to move on for his own career and Cardiff isn't too bad a move at all. If he shines them he will get another move up the way. If he doesn't he will carve out a very lucrative career at Championship level no bother.

Despite fortuitous results elsewhere, It’s hugely concerning that our premiership survival is coming down to the dying embers of a transfer window.

I’m absolutely baffled how we have managed to go from having Wilkinson (who was signed as a starter), Obika, Beireth, Bair (who was a 4th choice striker) and Shaw, to now looking like we will run with Bair and maybe, maybe 1 other. It’s absolutely abysmal.
Wilkinson and Shaw might have been pish and Obika permanently injured but those are the players we handed contracts to. 

On a basic arithmetic level, we’ve lost Spencer, beireth, souare, Wilkinson and Shaw this window. We’ve brought in Halliday, Nicholson, Montgomery and Elliot when at the start of the window, we wanted to run with what we had + 2 according to kettlewell.
On a basic levels, that means we’re short of 3 players - at least 2 forwards within that and are staring at a summer with 5 players under contract, a manager out of contract, no ceo and and interim ceo and chairman that are trying to punt to the club whilst making for the exit in circumstances that are pretty dire. 

It's a sickening state of affairs, especially for a fan owned club. From top to bottom, we need a massive, massive reset and huge changes in board and football structure.