Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

2 hours ago, Casagolda said:

I think we’re overstocked in midfield to be honest. 

You’ve got McHugh, Campbell, Rose, Grimshaw, Bigi and now Turnbull- 6 players vying for 3 positions. You’ve also got Tanner still to come back and Robinson saying he’s looking to add to the middle of the park. Hence why I’d try and shift Bigi on.

He may be the most talented of the lot of them but it’s pretty obvious his face doesn’t fit. He’s probably one of our higher earners as well, plus I imagine there would be a number of teams happy to take him and he’d probably be happy to leave if he’s going to be nothing more than a squad player again next season.

Absolutely agree, it's why I think we'll need to see some tweaking.

What that entails I'm not 100% sure but Robinson's quote the other week was: 

“We have managed to retain a lot of the players so what I have to do is make the squad better in three or four different areas.

“So I know where I have to improve and I know the board will back me as much as they physically can – but you have to remember we have 4000 fans.

“I’m speaking to three or four right now because I feel we need more energy, more pace and maybe a little bit more ownership of the game in the middle of the park.”

Rose and Grimshaw have extended so it'd be weird if they went anywhere and either way neither 'improve' us any they just give us a bit of depth. Campbell is an absolute #baller and is contracted to 2021 so fucking 'Yaaaasss!' to that.

Which leaves Bigi and McHugh who it would be fair to say have had patchy seasons. Bigi's struggled to get starts and by my count McHugh was subbed off 10 times over the course of the season (twice at HT) and only twice because of injury.

I'm not really banging a drum for booting folk out the door as, on the whole, I like this squad and they seem like a great bunch of lads, each and every one but it's difficult to read Robinson's comments and not feel that something has to give somewhere.

If he wants to improve/make the squad better and feels we need more ownership of the game in the middle of the park then with us currently having 9 players who play/can play centrally (Rose, Grimshaw, McHugh, Bigirimana, Campbell, Cadden, Tanner, Turnbull, Maclean) and only 3 central midfield slots in our 352/3412 shape then there will need to be movement one way or another.

Edited by capt_oats

Carson 

Tait Kipre Hartley Dunne 

Campbell McHugh Bigi

Cadden 

Main MOH

On paper that team looks very tasty imo. Obviously there's a good chance we'll have sold half of them by the start of the season, and it'd be a shame to move Dunne back to fullback.

Find a way to incorporate Tanner and it's straight fire.

In the final episode of the 2017-18 season, Sparra is joined by Busta and Jay to look back on the Scottish Cup final defeat to Celtic, review the campaign as a whole, discuss potential summer transfers in and out of Fir Park and much, much more.

http://www.mfc1886.com/mfc-podcast-2017-18-episode-40/

3 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

In the final episode of the 2017-18 season, Sparra is joined by Busta and Jay to look back on the Scottish Cup final defeat to Celtic, review the campaign as a whole, discuss potential summer transfers in and out of Fir Park and much, much more.

http://www.mfc1886.com/mfc-podcast-2017-18-episode-40/

Nice one.

As ever, a great listen and summarised 2017/18 perfectly. We will look back on that season in years to come as being one of the most exciting campaigns following Motherwell FC in recent memory.

Two Cup runs resulting in Cup Finals;  Beating Aberdeen in both Cups; beating Rangers at Hampden for the first time ever; superb individual performances by Louis Moult throughout the first half of the campaign resulting in some sublime goals;  Curtis Main's role since January with the Aberdeen semi being his best moment; McHugh's stunner v. Hearts and Kipre's first goal which delighted the support. 

We had a squad last season with bags of character, led by a manager with a genuine passion and desire to do well for the club and support and some brilliant moments throughout.

The only thing we could have done more is lift silverware. Hopefully one day soon we will finally achieve this.

Guessing this is one for Craigan's u20s/reserve team but still...transfer activity. Excitement abound.

From the looks of things he'd signed for Buckie Thistle from County's dev squad a couple of days ago.

Here he is:

Edited by capt_oats

There's yer Fir Park officially voted the best pitch in the country. :thumsup2

Edit: Apologies...best top league pitch in the country.

Edited by Al B

Genuinely amazing the way it's gone literally from being the worst to the best in the space of a few years. There have been times over the past 2 seasons where the condition of the pitch in midwinter was better than it used to be in August - so a massive amount of credit is due there. It also proves that even with the budget constraints that we have, that it's possible for a grass pitch to play better than a plastic one at any time of the year... 

2 minutes ago, LiviLion said:

If you ignore Forthbank, Balmoor, and Hampden that is.

After a season long study of all 42 of the SPFL’s pitches – a joint venture between the players union PFA Scotland, the Scottish FA and Sports Labs, the leading international experts in sports surface development and testing – Fir Park was named the best surface in the Scottish top league.

They didn't.