Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

@Desp here's an interview in the local press that's just gone up, sort of answers your question. Seems like he just lost his place.

Also seems that it was a mutual termination of his deal to allow him to move so I'd be surprised if there was a fee.

The goalkeeper, who joined the Saddlers last summer, has had his contract at the Banks's Stadium terminated by mutual consent to allow him to move north of the border.

Snapped up from Carlisle, the 26-year-old began the 2017/18 campaign as Walsall's number one but lost his place to Liam Roberts.

And he has now opted to move on in pursuit of regular first-team football.

“I’ve got nothing but good things to say about the club,” Gillespie said.

“Personally, I enjoyed working with (former coach) Neil Cutler and I learned a lot from him. Steve Hale came in as well and was great with me.

“I had a really good relationship with Liam and I’m sure we’ll keep in touch.

"When he got his chance he took it and did really well. Hopefully he can kick on next season and I’m sure he’ll have a really good career.

“I was obviously disappointed not to play in the second half of the season but I felt I played my part in helping Liam, and that’s football.

“I’m moving on now to a new challenge, which I’m excited about, but I’ll still keep an eye on how Walsall do.

“It’s a great group of lads, and with a new manager now, hopefully the club can push on next season.”

Gillespie's departure means boss Dean Keates is likely to be on the lookout for a new keeper to provide competition for Roberts next season.

I can't help but think Carson will be away - would be amazed if he was here beyond August. He was basically playing at a level that was far beneath him and I'd imagine that some decent sized clubs would have him on the radar.

The main problem for the new boy (and the next few keepers) is that if Carson leaves after the season that he's just had - he'll be an impossible act to follow given that he's made practically no high profile mistakes and he himself followed on from a succession of middling to poor keepers. 

This is the 2nd keeper we’ve tried to sign this summer already after the boy from Grimsby- I think it’s fair to say if Robinson is prioritising a new keeper at this stage, then he knows full well that Carson won’t be here when the season kicks off. 

Good luck to the guy,  as Swello said Carson will be a tough act to follow. However he’s coming into a well organised team with a settled defence(assuming Hartley slots back in no bother) which should help. 

If he’s solid, reliable and doesn’t give me the absolute fear anytime a ball is slung into our box then he’ll do for me. 

I can understand why Carson would move down south for the money. However he has only just established himself in the Norn Ireland side and can imagine staying their as number 1.

Would he want to risk that by moving to say Cardiff as mooted to be a second choice and play little game time??

Simply because he's not made much money out of the game and he would like to. I'll never blame someone at 30 for moving for the money (as opposed to someone who's 18, where a short term increase in wages can kill your longer term career and earning potential when the move is a bad one).

2 hours ago, Acaplegic said:

Obviously a Real Madrid or PSG will come a calling for Frank Carson sooner rather than later as their scouts are never away from Motherwell games.

What on earth are you on about now?

2 hours ago, Acaplegic said:

Obviously a Real Madrid or PSG will come a calling for Frank Carson sooner rather than later as their scouts are never away from Motherwell games.

Are you an alias or reincarnation of someone we're supposed to care about?

1 minute ago, Swello said:

So, presumably the first obstacle - a payoff from Celtic - is out the way. Interesting....

Similarly it's curious to read Celtic's wording in so much as he's apparently "Currently on loan at Motherwell". I'd have thought he'd have reverted back to Celtic as of the end of May.

CELTIC Football Club can confirm that Nadir Ciftci will be leaving the club on June 30, 2018.  Currently on loan to Motherwell, everyone at Celtic wishes Nadir all the very best for the future.

http://www.celticfc.net/news/14483

Edited by capt_oats

To be fair - it's the type of goodbye statement that we usually reserve for a Jacob Blyth type wage thief - which is probably how he is viewed at Celtic - so I don't imagine that much effort went into the wording. That said, usually loans would expire as the games end at the end of the season - so why we would be paying our share until the end of June is a mystery...

1 hour ago, nsr said:

Are you an alias or reincarnation of someone we're supposed to care about?

That weird HappyAccie guy that used to post. 

So no, not someone we're meant to care about. 

The next major problem would be his wage demands.

Even if we sell Carson 40% goes to hartlepool, 20%+10% on loans, which leaves only 30% of any fee. I doubt we will geta anything more than £1million so that would leave us atmost with £300,000. I also believe we wouldnt spend most of it on wages.

I dont see him dropping his wage demands to our level.