Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

30 minutes ago, redstarcvedza said:

Firstly true love involves self sacrifice. The self sacrifice of both time and in some cases money for the love of their club from Jim Mc, Derek Weir, Jay, Derek Watson etc should be hugely applauded.

Secondly our motto for now should be sinn fein (we ourselves) and only once we have exhausted what we ourselves can do should we consider ceding ownership of the club we love to those who are only seeking a return for themselves 

I'm sure that'd go down well.

I can't envision anyone having a problem with that...

As per @Handsome Devilwhat level of investment would get us to the "next level" which I assume is the same level as Aberdeen, hearts, and hibs? All three pay wages that are multiples of ours, and fan bases just as big, so my guess is that amount isn't happening.

Then, even with the money and fan base those clubs have, at least one of them is dug meat each year, and only Aberdeen haven't been relegated, so nothing is guaranteed. The reality is that we are looking for money to keep us where we are in preparation for our turn at the rotation that killie and st Mirren have now (and we had before that).

I personally don't have a redline when it comes to WS losing their majority, but the proposal that would lead to that would have to be crazy.

As such, I hope some folk aren't wishing our control away for the sake of us keeping Blair spittal.

At risk of talking about the football, Livi with a late sickener may knock their confidence for Wednesday.  Hopefully we have a strong performance tomorrow like we have had in each of the games against the uglies this season.

3 minutes ago, ropy said:

At risk of talking about the football, Livi with a late sickener may knock their confidence for Wednesday.  Hopefully we have a strong performance tomorrow like we have had in each of the games against the uglies this season.

Was very happy at Livingston seemingly rescuing a draw. Not only are County a much bigger threat to us, Livingston with the pressure of being back in the fight would be a much better prospect to face than them going for it with nothing to lose. I'll move onto that one properly after tomorrow but safe to say my dose of the fear is pre-ordered.

21 hours ago, boozyBJ said:

Only other disappointment was never got ‘Goals of the Season’ dvd as well

I got one of them the first season... don't think I've ever watched it lol. I'm sure they did have them for sale in the shop that season too.

My own society experience was I signed my daughter up as a Junior Steel member when she was a few months old. Got a letter from Las, a scarf, membership card and aforementioned DVD that season. Think I might've went in and paid it once more about a year later but nothing since. Sometimes she gets birthday/christmas cards from the team, sometimes not. Sometimes I get WS emails, sometimes not. (Actually thinking more about this does make me believe it IS somehow different lists for contributing vs not-up-to-date. eg I've had general ones about new members and comms, but none of the recent voting ones.)

Emailed in once a few years ago as I felt I was in a position to pay it again/pay anything owed and they kinda glossed over that, but made her a mascot (for the sometimes posted Aberdeen cup game on 21st September!). Tried again a year or two later and she was almost mascot again for the game that got called off that week due to lockdown starting...

Someone mentioned email/prompts to up or restart contributions and tbh I see why the WS don't do that in the middle of a cost of living crisis, increased foodbank usage in Lanarkshire, and general shitshow at the price of everything the last 4 years. A prompt about upping a monthly DD is more likely to get someone to cancel it altogether than increase it these days,.

I had ideas and questions but I'm sure others will have them or answer them, and maybe more for a WS meeting than here. This is too long already and apparently we have a game tomorrow... *checks fixture list* Nvm... So, uh, how about that paneer guys? Good stuff, eh?

40 minutes ago, AnderooMFC said:

I got one of them the first season... don't think I've ever watched it lol. I'm sure they did have them for sale in the shop that season too.

My own society experience was I signed my daughter up as a Junior Steel member when she was a few months old. Got a letter from Las, a scarf, membership card and aforementioned DVD that season. Think I might've went in and paid it once more about a year later but nothing since. Sometimes she gets birthday/christmas cards from the team, sometimes not. Sometimes I get WS emails, sometimes not. (Actually thinking more about this does make me believe it IS somehow different lists for contributing vs not-up-to-date. eg I've had general ones about new members and comms, but none of the recent voting ones.)

Emailed in once a few years ago as I felt I was in a position to pay it again/pay anything owed and they kinda glossed over that, but made her a mascot (for the sometimes posted Aberdeen cup game on 21st September!). Tried again a year or two later and she was almost mascot again for the game that got called off that week due to lockdown starting...

Someone mentioned email/prompts to up or restart contributions and tbh I see why the WS don't do that in the middle of a cost of living crisis, increased foodbank usage in Lanarkshire, and general shitshow at the price of everything the last 4 years. A prompt about upping a monthly DD is more likely to get someone to cancel it altogether than increase it these days,.

I had ideas and questions but I'm sure others will have them or answer them, and maybe more for a WS meeting than here. This is too long already and apparently we have a game tomorrow... *checks fixture list* Nvm... So, uh, how about that paneer guys? Good stuff, eh?

Speaking as someone who only pays a fiver a month I personally wouldn't be upset at being asked to pay a few more quid if I could afford it. If I couldn't then I couldn't. 

The point I was trying to make is that I've seen a lot of discussions about the Well Society getting more funds in elsewhere on social media. How do you do that unless you either sign up new members or get existing ones to pay a bit more. We can't have it all ways in my view. If fans in the end decide not to go for outside investment then surely the Well Society need more cash. Even board members of the society have said on social media that things need to change going forward. 

I didn't say anything in my previous post about asking people to restart contributions who had stopped them. 

The video asking for investment got new people joining up to the well society so obviously if people can't afford to up their donations then we need new members. 

Edited by Wellin

My free list of ideas:

- call to donate/increase email about 1 hour after any win, or spirited draw. The key is that it has to be about 2 pints post-game.

- loyalty card with food and merch discounts. Maybe a minimum active donation needed.

- tie in with local businesses along with the above.

- donation call to action every time the papers say someone is signing a pca elsewhere.

- donation blitz on December 31st for the January war chest.

- an app for info, making donations, and buying shit,

- ability to see cumulative contributions, with some token gifts for tiers of donation.

- bring the horse back and sell goes on it

- Qr codes to buy tickets at games

- season tickets prices with/without Society membership

- have a podcast again, WS branded

- Find ways to make non members feel like dicks

- some sort of welcome thing for fans that come to their first game, to get them to join.

- draws for end of season stuff for active members.

- WS should publicly back the pakora/paneer campaign.

Wrote these while i was wating at Starbucks, and the line wasn't that bad. Imagine the ideas you'd get if you paid me.

Edited by rowsdower

As I've said in previous posts, I have been one of the 'just never got round to it' folks. I've now just signed up for the basic tenner a month option with a view to upping it a few quid going by how things pan out over the next few months. 

It's f**k all in the scheme of things, but I suppose I'm at least one more person on board and interested in the way forward as a whole.

1 hour ago, Wellin said:

The point I was trying to make is that I've seen a lot of discussions about the Well Society getting more funds in elsewhere on social media. How do you do that unless you either sign up new members or get existing ones to pay a bit more. We can't have it all ways in my view. If fans in the end decide not to go for outside investment then surely the Well Society need more cash. Even board members of the society have said on social media that things need to change going forward. 

I didn't say anything in my previous post about asking people to restart contributions who had stopped them. 

Things do need to change and I presume this will be one of the things the newly elected members will be looking at. I'm just saying I can see why they haven't done it yet or may be cautious about it. The restarting was about myself and one or two others who've mentioned we made some contribution initially but have fell away. They do have our emails still.

1 hour ago, rowsdower said:

My free list of ideas:

- an app for info, making donations, and buying shit,

- ability to see cumulative contributions, with some token gifts for tiers of donation.

- Qr codes to buy tickets at games

- season tickets prices with/without Society membership

Spitballing here, could this somehow be tied into the ticket buying system?* Given it already has a secure log in and payment processing functionality? (He asks in reply to the Tennesseeian(?) whom I doubt buys many tickets to the home games...)

*dower's ideas maybe free but mine is not. I will accept payment in donnor or chasni pies tho.

Random question. Has anyone else been randomly followed on Twitter by Erik Barmack? VP for International Originals for Netflix……

When you look at his following & followers he seems to have a suddenly followed a lot of Well fans and followed by a load. Inc some coaches/WS board members etc….

Edited by wellboy1991

14 minutes ago, wellboy1991 said:

Random question. Has anyone else been randomly followed on Twitter by Erik Barmack? VP for International Originals for Netflix……

When you look at his following & followers he seems to have a suddenly followed a lot of Well fans and followed by a load. Inc some coaches/WS board members etc….

Started following me yesterday. Scrolling through his following list he follows a host of Scottish football accounts - AVFTT, Falkirk, St Johnstone, Stuart Cosgrove etc 

48 minutes ago, AnderooMFC said:

Things do need to change and I presume this will be one of the things the newly elected members will be looking at. I'm just saying I can see why they haven't done it yet or may be cautious about it. The restarting was about myself and one or two others who've mentioned we made some contribution initially but have fell away. They do have our emails still.

Spitballing here, could this somehow be tied into the ticket buying system?* Given it already has a secure log in and payment processing functionality? (He asks in reply to the Tennesseeian(?) whom I doubt buys many tickets to the home games...)

*dower's ideas maybe free but mine is not. I will accept payment in donnor or chasni pies tho.

My wife is the tennesseean, I'm just here for the banter and gun violence. Although, the last time I bought motherwell tickets online was the Nancy game, and they gave me seats for a row that didn't exist.

None of the IT things I mentioned are groundbreaking, so there's probably a vendor that could provide what we need. Then I can come work for them and only have to worry about getting stabbed.

1 hour ago, AnderooMFC said:

Btw. I'm skint and have been for a long time. That's why I pay the fiver. 

I wasn't trying to assume that people in the area had money to pay into the Well Society. Just that something has to give. I'm sure even the well society know that. 

The society need to see an upturn  in membership or we need to consider other investment. That's just my own view 

Personally. I just want to see us safe from relegation for now. That will do 

9 hours ago, rowsdower said:

My free list of ideas:

Wrote these while i was wating at Starbucks, and the line wasn't that bad. Imagine the ideas you'd get if you paid me.

Very good.

I don't want to turn the thread into a gigantic list but I could also chuck in plenty simply stolen from the local club (Union Berlin are a propaganda machine which would make previous, eh German organisations envious, and have a market share of fans in Köpenick which makes the east end of Glasgow or Govan look diverse. My kids could shout 'Eisern Union!' or 'Niemals vergessen!' at seeing the badge on stickers before they were old enough to understand what football was) without even thinking.

No doubt others, at home and abroad, are the same - after years of stagnation, if/when the call goes out for blue sky ideas I imagine they'll be working through them for weeks.

8 hours ago, wellboy1991 said:

Interesting. Defintley ticks a few of the info nugget boxes I guess that were given out. 

He was in a senior enough position at Netflix, leaving in 2019. Could say he 'made his money'

Now runs a production company called Wild Sheep Content which focuses on international (ie not American) content. They just made their first film out of Scotland and played it at the Edinburgh film festival last year. (https://www.screendaily.com/reviews/kill-edinburgh-review/5184918.article)

He also started out doing sport stuff for the likes of ESPN.

Defintley all seems like it points to one thing.