Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

14 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

Yes.

Most 'Well fans will be thinking we'll get millions out this. 

I know not a lot about these but I heard one bid was fucking ridiculous and the other shite.

The ridiculous one has been binned by the look of it.

Get this in the bin and let us get on with it.

McMahon was called out on his investment slebbers and we've now got a guy desperate to push something through before he fucks off

Aye. There's definitely a expectations vs reality issue here.

It's impossible to tell anything from a statement that, lets face it, says very little but at this point I'm far more sceptical of McMahon's judgement than I am of the potential investor(s).

7 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Aye. There's definitely a expectations vs reality issue here.

It's impossible to tell anything from a statement that, lets face it, says very little but at this point I'm far more sceptical of McMahon's judgement than I am of the potential investor(s).

The man's got a legacy to leave...

Quite why any "US based family", or any other fucker for that matter, would want to invest in a club like Motherwell, I have no idea.  However, the majority of football fans are morons so a large section of the support, when it goes to the vote, will simply see some vague promise of $$$ and they'll say "Welcome aboard".

It'll be some laugh when it goes tits up in five years or so.

22 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

Yes.

Most 'Well fans will be thinking we'll get millions out this. 

I know not a lot about these but I heard one bid was fucking ridiculous and the other shite.

The ridiculous one has been binned by the look of it.

Get this in the bin and let us get on with it.
McMahon was called out on his investment slebbers and we've now got a guy desperate to push something through before he fucks off

Or not……

Just maybe Busta we can see what is actually on offer before we fire it into the sea. 

I don’t doubt (and have said many times before) anyone willing to provide investment will want or should want majority ownership. That of course means a significant dilution to the Well Society shareholding. 

If and it is a big if the investors are prepared to underwrite any potential losses for a share of potential profits. That and there is 100% no risk at the end of all this that Motherwell can fall into administration or cease to exist or be under any existential threat then the Board have as they have said a duty to explore. 

It may well be this proves a much more attractive proposition to trying to get a few more £’s out of the Well Society each year. Which at a best guess would only ever amount to an extra couple of hundred thousand or thereabouts. 

2022 "We have a £300k shortfall if we finish 10th, early exit in the cups and make no players sales .... and the new pitch will save us £100k a year"

2023 "We have a £300k shortfall if we finish 10th, early exit in the cups and make no players sales"

"You said this last year, this shortfall is 3x more than the pitch savings, therefore much more important to the running of the club, what's been done?"

"Yeah, sorry about that, we dropped the ball"

2024 ""We have a £750k shortfall if we finish 10th, early exit in the cups and make no players sales .... the video generated a number of offers of which 2 were deemed credible"

At no point in the last 4 years have I seen any tangible or delivered effort to close that shortfall as a priority (regardless of player sales or on field performance). It's almost if we have an overperfomlng year on the pitch it validates nothing being done off it commercially. Fritz called it over on SOL:

"Its arguable McMahon is determined to make it look like his wee video worked wonders rather than putting the club first"

Edited by Vietnam91

Just now, welldaft said:

Do I have to visit SO. So be it…

Or you could re-read your 2nd and last sentences from your previous post... 👀

3 minutes ago, welldaft said:

Or not……

Just maybe Busta we can see what is actually on offer before we fire it into the sea. 

I'd fire it into the sea regardless. Anyone who gets into Scottish fitba looking to make money is a mug

Just now, Busta Nut said:

I'd fire it into the sea regardless. Anyone who gets into Scottish fitba looking to make money is a mug

Said that also. They are either daft or have money to burn or probably both.

Who leaks these things anyway. You would expect non disclosure to be part of any negotiations so I would take any sums on SO as fiction. 

But let’s just say for the sake of argument it is £300k PA. If we are prepared to consider that then we must be desperate for cash. I don’t expect many millions, but someone offering up only 5% of our t/o PA can only be looking for 5% shareholding PA if that. Would take 10 years to become a majority owner. Just does not add up. 

Anyway gives us something to talk about until the Dundee game is postponed…

I would be keen to understand their exit strategy, the five year rollercoaster may be fun but if they leave us with players on inflated contracts the drop at the end may be too big for us.

Sorry to mention SO again but someone there suggesting that US tax laws allows a write off for foreign expenses. Dont know whether that is the case or not  or whether it applies to companies or individuals.

Sounds good though.

1 minute ago, santheman said:

Sorry to mention SO again but someone there suggesting that US tax laws allows a write off for foreign expenses. Dont know whether that is the case or not  or whether it applies to companies or individuals.

Sounds good though.

Look who it is on SOL saying it ..... 

35 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

Anyone who gets into football anywhere (outside of being a player / manger or agent ) looking to make money is a mug 

If the deal was something like £300,000 a year investment to allow the family (I assume they have a business) to claim to have, say 20% of the club, then I would have no issues with us being used as their bauble to show off to their corporate clients with invites to the big match, get some exposure in the press, an interview with Kenny Mac.  They can wax lyrical about owning part of a soccer team in the homeland of ScotchLand.  They can do all that for as long as they want then they can f**k off at an agreed buy out cost.

The ridiculous Aussie idea being binned is a good first step.

I would, with an abundance of caution, be curious to hear details on this one.

But I suspect common sense will prevail and we'll say thanks but no thanks when we see the details.