Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

How we only conceded one goal when we were being carved open any time the ball was played forward, f**k knows.

Fair play to O'Donnell for having a good game in two positions and setting up the goal, and Vale was generally tidy, everyone else was just chilling.

1 minute ago, rowsdower said:

How we only conceded one goal when we were being carved open any time the ball was played forward, f**k knows.

Fair play to O'Donnell for having a good game in two positions and setting up the goal, and Vale was generally tidy, everyone else was just chilling.

I was only watching the stream rather than at the game but it’s funny how people can see games differently. I thought, assist aside, O’Donnell was dogshit. The number of misplaced passes, long nothing balls straight to Hemming and numerous throw in’s he lobbed straight out for St Mirren goal kicks was infuriating.

Thought Gent was our best player but everyone else was pretty poor. We were so sloppy in possession, especially first half but it’s another point further ahead of County and St Johnstone. Another 4 points probably sees us safe so let’s get them asap and get big Moses on for a runabout. 

That was an atrocious game of football.

Lack of composure in this team is frightening at times, so glad we have Lennon Miller to bring that to the side. 

SODs was good, Davor was decent enough, Gent was decent for the most part too.

Devine hasn't impressed me at all. Halliday was absolutely honking. 

Spittal had the look of someone really, really trying to show they are still committed but making all the wrong decisions, shooting from that free-kick from about 40-yards in the first half for example.

Anyway, a point's a point and results sort of went our way elsewhere. 

1 hour ago, Allroy for Prez said:

Sleepwalking our way towards the play offs. 

Or sleepwalking our way to safety.

Thought a point was fair though we were marginally the poorer of two shite teams.

It's hard to see us getting a result next week playing like that and Hibs won't be much easier even at home.

Still, we'll be going into the split with enough points you'd fancy us to stay up. But getting the win we need asap would calm a lot of nerves, if we lose the next two as assumed and follow that by losing to St J or County it's brown trousers time again.

This game epitomises the season for me, year another soft first goal conceded in the first half hour, what’s that? …. our 21st handicap in 31 games?

We get a major shot in the arm at Ibrox and then take 1 from 6 at home.

Simply put this team and more importantly their inability to concentrate have done nothing to warrant any higher league position. We are very much where we belong and it blows because on paper the personnel are no better or worse than those available to St Mirren or Dundee. It’s just their managers are getting more consistency from them.

I’m pretty pro Kettlewell but watching so many games where the best you can hope for at half time is a draw eats away goodwill.

The number of passes we over or under hit must've been in the 80-90% today, incredibly lax. 

Today is this team in a nutshell. Actually knocked together some nice little patterns at times, scored a pretty neatly worked goal, grafted all day, showed a bit of character when it clearly wasn't a good day and yet at the same time did some utterly inexplicable things. 

18 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

The number of passes we over or under hit must've been in the 80-90% today, incredibly lax. 

Today is this team in a nutshell. Actually knocked together some nice little patterns at times, scored a pretty neatly worked goal, grafted all day, showed a bit of character when it clearly wasn't a good day and yet at the same time did some utterly inexplicable things. 

Pretty much for me too, the one touch stuff early in the first half we got a half chance from flattered to deceive, I thought it almost justified all those box drills they do to death in warmups. When we cut through them like a hot knife to then regress to SOD lumping diagonal balls to be picked off or out for a goal kick sticks in the craw.

To be fair he called it in his after game presser but we're paying him to implement shit, not be a pundit with the power of hindsight.

2 hours ago, Allroy for Prez said:

Sleepwalking our way towards the play offs. 

Your safe. There's literally zero way both us and County pick up 7+ more points than you in the next 7 games.

I think the problem with our defence stems from the fact that we don't have an experienced and physically able leader to play in the middle. 

Butcher done it well last season, but he's physically broken and even then, he was a defensive midfielder by trade prior to coming to us.

I think if we had that, we could probably get away with most of our current options either side of them. If we are to persist with a back three, I'd make that a priority in the summer. 

Earlier in the season I could see why, but now I think we've got the personnel not to be tied to the back three. There's no reason why we can't be working on a 4-3-3 / 4-2-3-1 plan B, that we can at least change to during a game.

2 hours ago, rowsdower said:

I thought Gent played well.  Everyone near me in the John Hunter could see how much space he had out wide , why couldn't his teammates or Kettlewell?

14 minutes ago, Jastons6 said:

I thought Gent played well.  Everyone near me in the John Hunter could see how much space he had out wide , why couldn't his teammates or Kettlewell?

The switch to Gent was on every time we had the ball on the right at the back. He had half the park to himself and I think the ball only got played to him twice.

Definitely not concerning that our new striker couldn't get on the park today...

24 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

The switch to Gent was on every time we had the ball on the right at the back. He had half the park to himself and I think the ball only got played to him twice.

Definitely not concerning that our new striker couldn't get on the park today...

And one of those two times Gent played a superb ball across the face of goal that no one tried to get on the end of .

I'm guessing Moses is far from match fit 

O'Donnell was good today, a few misplaced passes but tbh every pass that went near any of our forward players bounced off them. The assist for the goal was beautiful.

A weird game because all of our attacking players had absolute stinkers but we managed to take a point. 

19 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

O'Donnell was good today, a few misplaced passes but tbh every pass that went near any of our forward players bounced off them. The assist for the goal was beautiful.

A weird game because all of our attacking players had absolute stinkers but we managed to take a point. 

SOD did well, I think he can feel he did his contract renewal hopes no harm. Unlike some others.

Attack had a tough day but fair play to Vale - who I thought otherwise really struggled - for his work in the goal and to Bair - in the highlights you see him making the run to bundle it in before SOD even heads it, the video and coaching boys will be high-fiving again no doubt.

I remarked elsewhere Moses is an odd one...if we supposedly had him with us for a while, it's surprising that he's been deemed fit enough for zero minutes so far. Better safe than sorry ofc but still...odd.

2 hours ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

I think the problem with our defence stems from the fact that we don't have an experienced and physically able leader to play in the middle. 

Individually, I like all of them.

Collectively; I want them all gone.