Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Imo with Wilkinson there is a good player at our level there somewhere. Quite skilful and could finish well. Wrong time, wrong club. Clearly he wasn't happy, Kettlewell had lost the run of himself sticking him in at centre mid when we had Davor sitting on the bench.

12 hours ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

Mega bust is very harsh.

I wasn't disappointed to see him go, but he never got a run of starts and scored three very crucial league goals which all won us points. 

3 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

Imo with Wilkinson there is a good player at our level there somewhere. Quite skilful and could finish well. Wrong time, wrong club. Clearly he wasn't happy, Kettlewell had lost the run of himself sticking him in at centre mid when we had Davor sitting on the bench.

Aye. This is pretty much where I am with Wilkinson.

He wasn't here very long, his calf exploded but IMO he had enough about him that you could see why we brought him in. He chipped in with some well taken, important goals and ended up being played totally out of position at the point when Kettlewell lost the run of himself before moving him on for a nominal fee.

Like I say, fine.

I'd have though that had he stuck around he'd probably have ended up being a Chrissy Long equivalent (a fellow #99).

He's very much a no harm, no foul signing in my book.

I don't think Wilkinson's issue was his footballing ability.  I think he underestimated Scottish Football and got a bit of a shock when he very quickly realised it wasn't kick and rush fitba like League 1/League 2 in England.

However, as Co-Convenor of The NumberPolis (alongside @crazylegsjoe_mfc) it's heartening to see we've launched #99 & #77 already this season, and realised that #66 is no longer any good and have him nowhere near the side. 

I think Wilkinson was... fine. Probably isn't worth what we were presumably paying him and 3 goals doesn't look great on paper but if we'd persisted for the second half of the season and he'd left after scoring 6 or 7 I think folk would be saying he hadn't worked out but had did a job.

15 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

Jon Obika has to be our worst signing ever given we knew he was a permacrock. 

image.jpeg.16a2439d4586c8e524680c181c2e029a.jpeg

I'll just leave this here.

2 minutes ago, MurrayWell said:

"Motherwell's Jamie Vardy" the worst in recent years I'd say. 

JS93337158.jpg.b344df0252aa448e3ab3929b9282dabe.jpg

Counter-point: he was a really, really funny player to experience.

8 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Counter-point: he was a really, really funny player to experience.

Oh aye, there was a certain entertainment value. I'll give you that. 

Mind that Lanarkshire Derby he started? 😂

13 minutes ago, MurrayWell said:

Disappointed you didn't use the photo from his Gran's funeral.

24 minutes ago, MurrayWell said:

An utter c**t of a guy. Genuinely wouldn't tire of punching his stupit face. 

59 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

Jon Obika has to be our worst signing ever given we knew he was a permacrock. 

He's at least contributed a wee bit last season and scored off his arse at Parkhead. I'd say there's a number worse be he certainly is not anywhere near good or even average 

There may be worse players we've taken a chance on but I mean giving Obika a deal (plus an option for another, in our own hands hopefully) when he'd been at the club and we knew he'd spend more time on the treatment table was fucking madness.

1 hour ago, MurrayWell said:

Oh aye, there was a certain entertainment value. I'll give you that. 

Mind that Lanarkshire Derby he started? 😂

My abiding memory of him will forever be him coming on against Inverness with 10 minutes left where just sprinted around running into things. Not sure he touched the ball. Absolutely hopeless.

That and that we emptied him for nothing after he was snapped doing balloons with Holly Hagan. A perfect ending to an absolute dumpling.

13 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

That and that we emptied him for nothing after he was snapped doing balloons with Holly Hagan. A perfect ending to an absolute dumpling.

Think those in charge at the club would have been doing cartwheels when that story appeared, nice wee breach of contract to show him the door. 

I had the dubious pleasure of watching Blyth playing for the 20s ages ago against Thistle and he was, genuinely, hopeless.

Despite being a "senior" player he looked completely lost.

Even the goal he scores looks like it's a mistake.

8 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I had the dubious pleasure of watching Blyth playing for the 20s ages ago against Thistle and he was, genuinely, hopeless.

Despite being a "senior" player he looked completely lost.

Even the goal he scores looks like it's a mistake.

Absolutely blew my mind that he played alongside Campbell, Haste, Turnbull and Scott. My perception of time is all over the place with this…

Motherwell U20s: Pain, McMillan, Livingstone, Maguire (Armstrong ’60), Chalmers, Campbell, Fry, Turnbull, Blyth (Mackin ’65), Hastie, Gordon (Scott ’82)