Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

I know nothing about the guy but glad to see someone finally in the role and hopefully some much needed direction going forward.

Interested to find out how this impacts the external investment chat. Was it not mentioned that one of the parties (the Aussies?) wanted to put their own man in?

2 minutes ago, dezz said:

I know nothing about the guy but glad to see someone finally in the role and hopefully some much needed direction going forward.

Interested to find out how this impacts the external investment chat. Was it not mentioned that one of the parties (the Aussies?) wanted to put their own man in?

Reading between the lines, the Aussie bid needed drop kicked into the sun ... with extreme prejudice.

31 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

With the usual caveats of not knowing his personality, focus on growth v cutting costs etc, instinctively you look at his record of 25 years CEO experience of football clubs and say fine...

It needed done and it's not Gerry Britton so that's a start...

One of the first things returned on a Google search (after his LinkedIn) is: 

https://www.shropshirestar.com/sport/football/shrewsbury-town-fc/2023/05/03/shrewsbury-town-fans-pay-tribute-to-departing-chief-executive-brian-caldwell/

Which is generally pretty positive. As far as I can see no one's calling him a c**t and I think the statement from their fan group is interesting:

Follow the Town said: "Sorry to see Brian go. He did a cracking job, was a good communicator and built up a good rapport with supporters. Best of luck to him for whatever comes next."

Jamie Dowley added: "What a shame he’s a great guy and the best chief exec town have ever had by a distance."

Ian the Shrew Jones also paid tribute, adding: "Shocked and saddened by the news Brian has done so much for the club I wish all the best for the future."

Docherty scored 10 goals in 50 appearances on loan from Rangers back 2018/19 and he said: "I can’t thank Brian enough for what he did for me and my family during my time at Shrewsbury as well as what he’s done for my career on a personal note! A proper football man."

A statement read: "With the disappointing news of his departure from STFC, we would like to thank Brian Caldwell for the support he has provided to our group over the past few years.

"From the moment we approached Brian with our plans for the south stand, he has been enthusiastic about the project and has entrusted us with a free reign over the displays.

"Whilst its easy to be cynical about the motivations of a club CEO, we found Brian to be genuine in his love of fan culture, even on occasion bringing the drum to away games in his own car boot."

The group also pointed to Caldwell's involvement in making Salop the first club to introduce safe standing in 2018.

The group added: "Looking back further we also acknowledge the role Brian played in getting safe standing installed at the Meadow, a ground breaking move at a time when standing was still not permitted in most professional grounds - something we are immensely proud of."

There's also a thread on Shrewsbury's forum about him from around the time he left as well again interesting few mentions about his communication with fans etc on the first page.

It's 10 pages:

https://blueandamber.proboards.com/thread/105568/brian-caldwell

Also, h/t to @djchapsticks and @Div

Edited by capt_oats

1 hour ago, Busta Nut said:

Also, it appears Hearts are just hoovering up everyone they can. I hope they almost die again.

That's the level of bitterness I was hoping for. 🤩

2 hours ago, dezz said:

Apparently all the offers are pure shite anyway, this one being particularly awful.

As @Busta Nut says, let's shelve this and just get on with running the club now. If the unlikely scenario of someone coming in with "club changing" cash happens in the future then ideal. 

I know nothing of the offers really but have also heard they are complete dugshite. 

1 hour ago, Mr. X said:

That's the level of bitterness I was hoping for. 🤩

I felt it was missing tbh. 

27 minutes ago, MurrayWell said:

Apparently all the offers are pure shite anyway, this one being particularly awful.

As @Busta Nut says, let's shelve this and just get on with running the club now. If the unlikely scenario of someone coming in with "club changing" cash happens in the future then ideal. 

See, I don't think it has to be 'transformational' investment or anything but the trade off has to be proportional and on our terms.

Actively looking to bring investment into the club is, IMO, A.Good.Thing but rolling out an investment pitch in the way McMahon did, at a point where everything was as up in the air as it was, when we didn't have a permanent CEO in place was again IMO, utterly fucking dumb.

So aye. Get Ewan McVicar's Da' in, stabilise things and let McMahon step down in the summer then see how things go.

Hopefully we can get back to making Good Decisions rather than the fuckery of the past 18 months.

Edited by capt_oats

4 hours ago, DaveMackay56 said:

We won’t play both of them very often wouldn’t think. We were caught out in Europe 2 seasons ago with squad unable to cope with the 10 extra games.

Yup. That was definitely the problem. 

Seems like a good appointment.

10 years at Ayr United, 7 years at St Mirren and 7 years at Shrewsbury.

Cant find anyone saying a bad word about him and many raining compliments upon him for his communication, work with supporters and community groups.

Seems like a good fit for us and happy that he is our appointment and not some investment companies.

Hopefully we can get the new Chairman/Board sorted soon and the Society Board can crack on with their ideas on raising more revenue for both the Society and the club.

1 hour ago, MurrayWell said:

A bit worrying if hardly surprising ! The club has made it clear we need external investment to continue to be competitive in the top flight. Certainly for a consistent mid table / top 6 battle.

I don’t doubt a sustained push and relaunch of the Well Society will reap dividends, but not at a scale or for any longevity than is probably required. 

Is what it is I guess. Remains to be seen what the investment looks like for St Johnstone but surprising they can (apparently) attract US investment and well it looks like we cannot. 

Nothing has come from the club, which likely means they are still working on various deals and scenarios or as MurrayWell states there is really nothing out there that would be attractive and acceptable to the fan base 🤷‍♂️.

Would be good if we manage to top the Turnbull fee for Lennon Miller. Likely required sooner rather than later. 

Good luck to the new CEO. Strange he has been away from his last role for almost a year but maybe he wanted a wee sabbatical..

Edited by welldaft

10 minutes ago, welldaft said:

A bit worrying if hardly surprising ! The club has made it clear we need external investment to continue to be competitive in the top flight. Certainly for a consistent mid table / top 6 battle.

I don’t doubt a sustained push and relaunch of the Well Society will reap dividends, but not at a scale or for any longevity than is probably required. 

Often when time passes you get a better perspective on things but our rallying call still seems as bizarre as ever. It's a total guess but I strongly suspect McMahon and Weir just blundered into an area they don't know - ie communication/marketing - and made a bollocks of it. 

I asked before and didn't get an answer (and I know it's a daft question because of details etc), but I would love to see the back of an envelope business plan which leads people - in our boardroom or stands - to conclude we'll be better off with investors trying to take money out the club than we are now.