Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

3 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Are you saying this would happen with football too? I don't see why it would change the length of the VAR checks, it would just mean there would generally less of them.

Pretty much every single goal would be challenged by the opposing team.  You say each team has two challenges per half, for example?  How often do teams lose four goals a game?  You'd challenge every goal against you and hopefully get lucky now and again.

That'd be a great thing for the fans in the crowd...

Just now, Desp said:

Pretty much every single goal would be challenged by the opposing team.  You say each team has two challenges per half, for example?  How often do teams lose four goals a game?  You'd challenge every goal against you and hopefully get lucky now and again.

Feels like this basically happens now. I'm sure in the County 3-3 game all six goals got checked for something and obviously all stood.

1 minute ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Feels like this basically happens now. I'm sure in the County 3-3 game all six goals got checked for something and obviously all stood.

Which is horrendous, and is the whole point at the centre of all this.  VAR is diminishing the enjoyment of fans at the game, i.e the c***s who put the money into it.

Just now, VincentGuerin said:

When I said "pointless", what I obviously meant was, "a great idea if it relegates McMK Dons".

MK McDons, IMO.

1 minute ago, Desp said:

Which is horrendous, and is the whole point at the centre of all this.  VAR is diminishing the enjoyment of fans at the game, i.e the c***s who put the money into it.

Aye I'd rather no VAR. I just think putting the onus on teams to challenge individual decisions (within reason) would be a lot less intrusive and occasionally a bit of a laugh rather than the current setup where somebody sits in a room and looks for a reason to rule every goal out.

I really just think clubs take a step back here.  It's ok to have made a bad decision.  Probably every poster on here has made a few in their own life.  Businesses do it all the time.  Rather than point and say "well, you can't moan about it now because you decided to go for it in the first place", can we not welcome a club (or clubs) turning round and saying, "Sorry lads, we've fucked it with that one".

If you make a bad decision, fix it.  If that means your tail goes between yer legs and you eat humble pie, so be it.  Don't go and throw more shite at the wall to see if something will stick and possibly make it a bit less terrible.

The whole thing being fucked goes back about 30 years, to the start of multiple broadcast cameras at games. Now, high profile games have about 20+ high res, slow mo angles for us to scrutinise every single decision. It would be a superhuman achievement to keep up in real time.

VAR is basically the refs playing catch-up - applying the rules with the same level of precision that pundits and fans have been doing post-match for the last 15 years. 

My solution is to limit TV coverage to a single shitter of a camera, high up in the stands. Suck it up armchair fans. 

Vhs Shooting GIF

Edited by CoF

32 minutes ago, Desp said:

All goals are already checked.

45 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

That system would last a week.

The first big game where a clear handball was missed would be the end of it, as the coach of the losing team (fairly) asks why they didn't get the decision right, despite having the tools to do so.

It's not an option. You need to think through the consequences of how VAR is used.

Like a challenge system, that sounds sensible, but in reality it would not work.

But it's not 'clear' if everyone missed it and it went unchallenged.

44 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

So, what happens when a team challenges a red card for a bad tackle.

Whether it's a red or a yellow involves an element of subjectivity. So, the team challenging could be "right" and the referee could be "right".

Say the referee sticks with his decision. Do the challenging team lose a challenge? What if they are then the victims of a horrendous injustice that they can't challenge (as they've used their challenges up), even though their first challenge was "right"?

And if they don't lose a challenge if the referee sticks with his decision, then everyone just challenges everything.

It doesn't work.

The referee's end decision is final, just like it is now.

Subjective does not equal horrendous injustice.

But we would need more consistency.

45 minutes ago, Desp said:

I really just think clubs take a step back here.  It's ok to have made a bad decision.  Probably every poster on here has made a few in their own life.  Businesses do it all the time.  Rather than point and say "well, you can't moan about it now because you decided to go for it in the first place", can we not welcome a club (or clubs) turning round and saying, "Sorry lads, we've fucked it with that one".

If you make a bad decision, fix it.  If that means your tail goes between yer legs and you eat humble pie, so be it.  Don't go and throw more shite at the wall to see if something will stick and possibly make it a bit less terrible.

Totally sensible but this is precisely what the SFA & SPFL have a reputation for not doing - they are completely deaf to this sort of stuff - and arguably, the more resistance there is, the more they dig in.

We're at the sunk cost fallacy stage now where they think "we've spent the money on the wee office with all the tellys, we've put other tellys in all the grounds, we're going to use this b*****d even more than we planned to!". 

1 hour ago, VincentGuerin said:

Say the referee sticks with his decision. Do the challenging team lose a challenge? What if they are then the victims of a horrendous injustice that they can't challenge (as they've used their challenges up), even though their first challenge was "right"?

And if they don't lose a challenge if the referee sticks with his decision, then everyone just challenges everything.

It doesn't work.

In tennis and cricket nobody complains if something goes against them when they've burned their three challenges. You're supposed to use them when you're convinced of an obvious error, being penalised for delaying the game on a whim is entirely reasonable.

There'd certainly be issues with an appeal system but it'd be miles better than what we have now.

1 hour ago, Desp said:

That's entirely common sense and as mentioned already totally at odds with how Scottish football works sadly.

1 hour ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I understood that VAR checks every goal in every game. The game you mentioned is the norm.

Edited by Jastons6

3 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

I am sure people know every goal is checked. I assume folk meant an additional length on the check. 

All goals are checked equally but some are checked more equally than others...

Fwiw I was in favour of VAR in the hope it would give us the correct decision every time. It doesn't.