Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

29 minutes ago, SEETHING said:

Can I just commend the significant number of you who clearly recognise Motherwell's place as being CONSIDERABLY below Hearts in football/life's pecking order. 

Yeah 7x we've finished above you to 8 you've finished above us in the last 15 is "considerable". Maybe your record would be more impressive if you maintained top flight status for all 15 like us.

@capt_oats Not denying the numbers but 76 games under Kettlewell, does it count bounce games and Dutch pre-seasons?

38 minutes ago, SEETHING said:

Can I just commend the significant number of you who clearly recognise Motherwell's place as being CONSIDERABLY below Hearts in football/life's pecking order. 

Respectfully, f**k off.

16 minutes ago, Dosser1886 said:

Could have sworn it was way more than, obviously not.

Alexander was only at the club for 2 games after Spittal signed.

I think you're confusing Alexander with Steven Hammell who absolutely did misuse Spittal on a regular basis.

In doing some research for something else, I just stumbled across this. Can anyone give a reasonable idea how we're almost commensurate with England with pro players. Is everyone claiming a Scottish granny? Does Steve Clarke know?

Screenshot2024-03-21at22_31_35.thumb.png.439a4cbcfd3a28b43824d63328117ef4.png

2 hours ago, SEETHING said:

(a) we're a humble lot

(b) no-one under 50 can remember us in the first division

10 hours ago, CoF said:

Back to Ainsworth- here’s a goal from his relentless tour of English non league clubs. It’s a lovely goal and I dunno why, the strike is just very Ainsworthy. 

I was looking for this the other day. The camera angle couldn't be better either. 

12 hours ago, Gianfranco said:

Yan Dhanda and Spittal in the same midfield won’t work imo.  Nice problem for the tarts to have I suppose.

We won’t play both of them very often wouldn’t think. We were caught out in Europe 2 seasons ago with squad unable to cope with the 10 extra games.

Appreciate there's an element of "didn't fancy her anyway" about this but while I'd absolutely have preferred Spittal to stay I kind of feel the same about him as I did Goss in so much as based on their careers to date we've probably got the absolute best version of them and I'd have been wary about chucking the sort of money that in Spittal's case his form has absolutely deserved.

Making Spittal our second highest paid player or whatever would have felt a bit risky on the off chance he regressed to the mean.

While his numbers and general contribution will obviously be difficult to replace it kind of feels like he's the type of player we've got a decent enough track record of being actually being able to recruit.

Similar to our Murderers Row of #9s hitting double figures over the last 30 years I guess.

As I said, assuming he has f**k all interest in trying his hand in England or abroad and he's looking for a club that's a commutable distance from his house then a sideways move to a club with a larger fanbase but we've fairly regularly finished above and long term deal with the sort of significant uplift to his wage Hearts could offer is his best case scenario here.

We got a good two seasons out of someone that was viewed as entirely underwhelming by a large section of the support when he signed. Absolutely fair fucks to him and also to Kettlewell for getting the sort of turn out of him he has.

Tbh, I'm just confused how this can happen when he's already signed a PCA with St Mirren.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by capt_oats

I think Spittal has been brilliant for us, even when Hammell/Kettlewell played him at left wing/right wing/deep midfielder/RWB/LWB, he always showed ability. 

Fair play to him. I reckon we're in for a summer of about 17 signings. 

13 hours ago, Navallion said:

Always liked him ever since he came about at Dundee United a while back, always seemed to score against us whatever club he was at after that. 

This is my main concern with him signing for Hearts; it felt like he was always very good against us to having him for us was great

27 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Appreciate there's an element of "didn't fancy her anyway" about this but while I'd absolutely have preferred Spittal to stay I kind of feel the same about him as I did Goss in so much as based on their careers to date we've probably got the absolute best version of them and I'd have been wary about chucking the sort of money that in Spittal's case his form has absolutely deserved.

We got a good two seasons out of someone that was viewed as entirely underwhelming by a large section of the support when he signed. Absolutely fair fucks to him and also to Kettlewell for getting the sort of turn out of him he has.

Definitely. I'm assuming Hearts are spending more on Spittal than we'd ever contemplate but even if they're only offering him an amount we could match, I'd be far from convinced we should - for various reasons including what you mentioned.

Essentially if we pick up a journeyman 26-year-old and get two great seasons from him, you happily wish him all the best in Edinburgh or Aberdeen rather than doing anything stupid or kicking ourselves for not doing more.

And while we didn't get cash on this occasion, it won't have gone unnoticed - not least because the club will shout about it loudly - that Kettlewell has now transformed the financial circumstances of Johnston, KVV and Spittal with Bair arguably on his way to joining them. I'm not saying that's unique - it is after all the job of a coach to make players better - but having so many folk make such dramatic jumps in such a short space of time is certainly unusual... probably the only similarity I can think of for us is McGarry, Clarkson and Paterson in 2007 under McGhee.

As an aside on Hearts, very curious to see how they'll do next season... they've done some excellent early business on paper but safe to say there's intriguing questions as well.

2 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

As an aside on Hearts, very curious to see how they'll do next season... they've done some excellent early business on paper but safe to say there's intriguing questions as well.

I hope they lose every game 15-0.