Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

I love Theo but, like so many before him, I'd be inclined to think his form this season is likely to be the exception rather than the rule as far as his form is concerned. 

If someone is willing to chuck the best part of a million quid at us for him, we'd be daft not to take it.

Love big Theo and he seems like a lovely guy but if someone is willing to chuck £1m at us for a guy who’s essentially had a good 6 months in his career then we’d be daft not to take it. I’m not 100% convinced he’ll do the same numbers next season so with his contract situation as it is, now is the best time to sell. 

Replacing Bair and Spittal’s goal and assist numbers is going to be a challenge but suppose it’s another name for Ketts to add to his sales pitch of improving players to potential incomings. 

I think some of Theo's attributes are fantastic & some are still pretty raw, but he's got that big North American athlete look about him and those types are very coach-able. 

I love him and reckon he'd be deadly again next year (if he stops that f**k stuttered penalty run up). Like others though I'd bite yer hand off for north of £750 k 

43 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

With a year left on his contract, after an unbelievable season, Bair's sell on value will never be higher. It also just seems the way of it now that when a striker in the premiership has a good double figures season, they get a move elsewhere.

Selling him probably gives us a wee bit longer to pick the right deal to sell Miller too.

I suppose to his credit, he replaced Van Veen's goals last season, but losing the numbers of Spittal and Bair will be a big gap to plug.

On the phone to Ross county and tap up Simon Murray if Bair goes, even more so if they get relegated.

Probably quite a big ask if they stay up right enough.

Posted (edited)

Part of me would very much enjoy it if we were able to match whatever St Johnstone got for Ali McCann. Purely for vibes.

Realistically though, if there's a guaranteed £800k on the table with some extra achievable add-ons then as others have said we'd be daft not to take it. Not least because it'd cover that existence threatening but entirely hypothetical shortfall that was apparently never a problem until McMahon decided it's a matter that simply must be addressed 6 months ago.

When you look at his attributes then @Busta Nut's point about him appearing very coachable is bang on.

I think the thing with Bair is that for all you can make the argument that it's a "good 6 months" or whatevs, he's still relatively young and you can equally make the argument that he wasted a year in Perth with a collection of absolute diddies on the coaching staff who apparently didn't know what to do with him.

As @dezz says, it'd be another to add to the sales pitch when trying to recruit players and of course it'd be another slice of income for the "fan-ownership doesn't work" crowd to choose to ignore because income derived from a revenue stream of our stated business model seemingly doesn't count.

Edited by capt_oats

I don't know if I've just been swept up in his redemption arc but I'll honestly be a bit gutted when Bair goes, probably moreso than when KVV did. I totally get why nobody involved is turning down the sort of money up for grabs but he's been a joy to watch.

I was away to suggest Accies as a possible landing place for Maguire yesterday when someone mentioned that they could see him at a Falkirk or the like next season but truth be told this would be an entirely sensible move for him with them having been promoted and everything.

Love seeing how Bair has come on, amazing what a decent run in a team can do for you. SK will rightly take "some" of the credit for bringing him on but amazing what a bit of fate can do in realtion to players leaving and injuries meaning that he got a run in the team that he would have been very unlikely to get. Even if SK would like to make out that he would.

Like others, would take the numbers being mentions for him, if the bids are actually made. Always the danger, for any player that they will be unable to maintain the form they have shown the following season and also be a bit less sussed by other teams.

No matter what, love the big guy and wish him all the best if he stays or goes.

53 minutes ago, dezz said:

Replacing Bair and Spittal’s goal and assist numbers is going to be a challenge but suppose it’s another name for Ketts to add to his sales pitch of improving players to potential incomings. 

We replaced Kev in the aggregate, so this year we're going to have to manifest a 20 goal season from a striker to replace them with a unit. 

32 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

We replaced Kev in the aggregate, so this year we're going to have to manifest a 20 goal season from a striker to replace them with a unit. 

That’ll be absolutely no bother for us. As you highlighted on a recent pod, it’s literally impossible for Motherwell to not have a striker in double figures for goals every season. 

52 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I think the think with Bair is that for all you can make the argument that it's a "good 6 months" or whatevs, he's still relatively young and you can equally make the argument that he wasted a year in Perth with a collection of absolute diddies on the coaching staff who apparently didn't know what to do with him.

Very fair point this. Although he’ll be 25 by the time next season starts, in terms of actual minutes on the pitch/playing experience, big Theo is still very much in the learning and developing stage. Absolutely no doubt he’s got all the physical tools. 

45 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Nouble is a unit 

With an extension for Bair now seemingly a very long shot, it makes you wonder what the sweet spot in terms of goals and assists would have been that we'd offer him an extra year or two versus any offers tabled were derisory enough that we'd pie them or none at all. Obviously he surpassed that but we need to consider the added cost for couples therapy for Davor now.

Basic maths tells you a 800k transfer gets us at least 4x £4k a week players picked up on frees, lot of potential there to make further income and exactly how we did business before Alexander.

Anything north of 800k, I'd be wanting Caldwell to be volunteering or the WS insisting that it is used to offset some of the 900k soft loan as it should have done every time we make hay when the sun shines.

2 hours ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

but losing the numbers of Spittal and Bair will be a big gap to plug.

On balance, I think if we lose Bair as well as Spittal, their goals and just as importantly, assists are probably going to be even harder to replace than KVV's. 

I think the reality is that there is zero chance of us turning down 750k+ for Bair if that is actually happening - it won't even be a slightly difficult decision for the board. As with all these things, the big downside would be trying to wait until deadline day to wring every last penny out of the transfer fee and be left struggling ourselves - we've seen what that looks like. If there is a more or less acceptable offer kicking around now, just take it and have a sensible transfer window.

The long success of the Motherwell striker laundering business we've got running must mean that some agents would be looking to get their man into our enchanted number 9 jersey - so I think we'll have some decent options over the next couple of months...

2 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

I think some of Theo's attributes are fantastic & some are still pretty raw, but he's got that big North American athlete look about him and those types are very coach-able. 

I love him and reckon he'd be deadly again next year (if he stops that f**k stuttered penalty run up). Like others though I'd bite yer hand off for north of £750 k 

That’s how I feel. I think with another pre season and how he progressing he could do even better next year. Especially if we play him with a partner up top. 

Get him a new 2 or 3 year deal on better wages, then sell him next January for 1.5m to some L1 outfit down south.