Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

25 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

My guess would be that Obika must have triggered his option as there's no mention of him in that blurb from Kettlewell about players leaving (although he doesn't mention Callan Elliot either).

awww naw

Just 11 senior players on the books going into the summer. Is that a record?

Kettlewells recruitment hit rate has been pretty decent (with some obvious exceptions) so I’m kinda optimistic he’ll put a decent team together this summer. That said, if central defence is his one blind spot then we’re fucked. 

46 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Offering literally all of that defence from last season a new deal is some approach...

The Ox has them covered with his competent goalkeeping and ability to talk them through the game.

9 minutes ago, MurrayWell said:

The Obika thing is strange, no mention of him in contracted players either... you'd think if there had been an extension he'd be mentioned there? 

Maybe we all just imagined him? Folie a deux, on a much larger scale.

6 minutes ago, camer0n_mcd said:

Obika was helping out during the warmup away at Hibs. Could it be possible that he'll take a step into coaching with him being a guy that Ketts obviously likes?

I'd be more inclined to recruit Okiba to the gaps in media however I'm sure he'd find a way to trip over a cordless mouse.

I didn’t expect to see Bevis on the possibles list, as much as I like the big fellow he is a bombscare with the ball at his feet and needs 3 games to get up and running.  If he sticks to what he is good at, headering the ball from the middle of a back 3 or putting the nets up then it may be fine.

1 hour ago, CoF said:

Just 11 senior players on the books going into the summer. Is that a record?

Kettlewells recruitment hit rate has been pretty decent (with some obvious exceptions) so I’m kinda optimistic he’ll put a decent team together this summer. That said, if central defence is his one blind spot then we’re fucked. 

Players in the loosest sense of the word since 2 of them are Andy Halliday and Ross Tierney.

Oxborough re-signing is another interesting one. You have to assume he signed so quickly because he has been promised a shot at first choice keeper.

I suspect that the even with largely the same defence next season, there will be an improvement with Kelly leaving. For all his genuine talent as a shotstopper, his weaknesses have been obvious to anyone who has watched us even intermittently - every team in the league knows how to play him, and our own defenders are well aware of it too, hence the panic all season long when they were forced to deal with crosses into the box and against teams with a high press. 

If our new no.1 can catch a crossed ball, command his box a little and is capable of basic communication with the back four, I wouldn't be surprised if confidence and organisation across the backline immediately improves.

Wishful thinking maybe but we'll know soon enough.

Posted (edited)

Re: Bevis, I'd be happier if he was going but if we continue to play 3 at the back we need cover on the bench and he can provide that, hopefully on a nominal new wage. To be realistic, I think we would struggle to recruit a backup CB on a free who isn't a bombscare (or as mobile as an HGV) on the wages we can offer a squad player. At least with Bevis there is some familiarity with the rest of the squad already, which we'll need with new arrivals coming in. 

For the others, the less said about Halliday the better. I'd be very happy if Nicholson signs on to provide some of the creativity we're losing with Spittal away.

Edited by For Your Pies Only

Bevis will be the longest serving player, I seem to remember that he signed because he was in training with us when someone else got injured.  So he stumbled into a contract and has stumbled his way through a few calamities and a few stellar performances.  It takes all sorts.

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Oxborough re-signing is another interesting one. You have to assume he signed so quickly because he has been promised a shot at first choice keeper.

I mean, I know Kelly was club captain and all, but no-one should be un droppable, and when he was in the worst throes of this seasons performances I'd have thought taking him out for a couple of games would have been beneficial to him as much as the team as a whole (if you had an able replacement to step in). The fact that never happened at any point kinda led me to believe that the Ox was not that guy.

As long as they've not just given him  the gloves by default purely for sticking around long enough, a la Samson. After enduring Kelly's season of horrors I don't think I could handle following it up with a year of watching another lettuce-wristed imposter chucking them in just because he's 'demanded' a go.

Edited by 'WellDel

57 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Or because he knows he's not really first choice material and will basically sign anything.

Reality might be somewhere between the two extremes, we'll sign another good (hopefully) GK, they get their time in friendlies and the LC and a decision is made for the start of the league season.

I can't remember if it was on here or on a WhatsApp chat, but someone told me that when asked about the Obika situation at the AGM and he said he wasn't worried about it. I wonder if that is this season's equivalent of Hammell saying he was confident Max Johnston would sign a new deal. It might be that Obika has triggered an option and we've been trying to offer him a settlement to get out of it. Not that I think it's in his interests to take a settlement, I can't see any other club worth his while taking their chances on someone with broken hamstrings who is almost 34.

Can only echo what everyone else has said about it being a concern that all of the defence were offered new deals. I don't understand Mugabi particularly after he was dropped in March. None of our defenders are bad in isolation, but I had really hoped we were taking this summer as an opportunity to try and refresh and improve there.

1 hour ago, ropy said:

Bevis will be the longest serving player, I seem to remember that he signed because he was in training with us when someone else got injured.  So he stumbled into a contract and has stumbled his way through a few calamities and a few stellar performances.  It takes all sorts.

This is looking increasingly like Bevis will be appointed academy director then caretaker manager in 2035 and make right royal mess of it. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ropy said:

Bevis will be the longest serving player, I seem to remember that he signed because he was in training with us when someone else got injured.  

Was that not Kipre? When some other bum signed for a league one english team?

Edited by Busta Nut