Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

6 hours ago, Vietnam91 said:

€140m / (24 teams x 26 players per squad) = €224k average, so worst case about €150k or thereabouts.

Seems he did leave for some money. 

Last time they differentiated between three categories of clubs (because of course) and it also depended on how long Scotland were in the tournament.

UEFA still haven't published the final calculation afaik so we can't tell exactly. But it'll definitely be less than the theoretical maximum 150k and more than the 60k we got last time. So not a bad farewell gift.

Well done to him, btw, whether you like him or not I always like seeing 'Motherwell' in these things (I assume we'll be listed at least!).

On 24/05/2024 at 15:21, Busta Nut said:

I am 95% sure he was asked to, and signed an extension. A lot of fitba contracts run out June 30th. Scottish fitba saves a months wages by having them until May 31st. 

I see the club have confirmed that Kelly signed an extension in their wee news story on the official about him being 'on the plane'.

Screenshot2024-06-08at09_57_51.thumb.png.9043502d868a4116cd883d7885f8e0e4.png

https://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/2024/06/07/liam-kelly-is-off-to-germany/

1 hour ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Did anyone see how Miller got on? I'm assuming not very well 

He did ok from what I saw of it, but as it was 4-0 when I tuned in I wasn't expecting much. He did appear to being very closely "marked", if you acquire my drift.

I know it's slow news at the moment and maybe it's because he's been linked with the **** but it feels like there's *way* more discourse around Kelly extending his contract by a month (which he probably did ages ago) than there was when Declan Gallagher did exactly the same thing.

The number of Motherwell fans getting bent out of shape about the whole thing is a giggle as well. Fucking hell lads, take a day off.

16 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I know it's slow news at the moment and maybe it's because he's been linked with the **** but it feels like there's *way* more discourse around Kelly extending his contract by a month (which he probably did ages ago) than there was when Declan Gallagher did exactly the same thing.

The number of Motherwell fans getting bent out of shape about the whole thing is a giggle as well. Fucking hell lads, take a day off.

I've not seen any online/social reaction, purposefully, but can't get my head around it being anything but a positive? Certainly the handful of Well fans and couple of non well fans it's been mentioned by too to me seem to think the same. People are weird. 

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

I've noticed a lot of folk say things like "he's not even our player!" Then loads of discussion around it. As you said it's all a bit odd.

11 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

I've noticed a lot of folk say things like "he's not even our player!" Then loads of discussion around it. As you said it's all a bit odd.

Aye,  that's the same stuff I've been seeing.

Well, I've been seeing the replies from the more sensible folk. The "hE's nOt eVeN oUr pLAyeR!!!" stuff is generally from accounts I've muted ages ago.

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

It just shows what happens in a vacuum...we can be mid-takeover bid and squad rebuild but reviews of last September and goalkeepers from 20 years ago can only fill the gap so long!

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

Nice gesture from Kelly. Seems like a top class guy.

I've read this a couple of times about it being a "nice gesture". I mean, he hasn't done it for free, he's still getting paid an extra month as our top earner.

Also, I'm not sure it's been done the way that it seems to have been framed ie: he's only recently signed for the extra month extension in the last couple of days.

@Busta Nut alluded to this the other week but the chances are Kelly was asked to extend the +1 month a while ago and as most of us suspected it's probably a large part of why our media team have gone big on him despite him chucking them in left, right and centre over the last few months.

Absolutely none of that is a dig at Kelly btw but it's fair to say that it's worked out for both parties and if the quoted figure that we're due to received is accurate then you'd imagine that it'd go some way to squaring off the fee we paid to QPR to get him in the door in the first place.

Edited by capt_oats

On 08/06/2024 at 07:35, Handsome_Devil said:

Last time they differentiated between three categories of clubs (because of course) and it also depended on how long Scotland were in the tournament.

UEFA still haven't published the final calculation afaik so we can't tell exactly. But it'll definitely be less than the theoretical maximum 150k and more than the 60k we got last time. So not a bad farewell gift.

Well done to him, btw, whether you like him or not I always like seeing 'Motherwell' in these things (I assume we'll be listed at least!).

BBC reporting we got £265k last time for SOD and Dec so estimating min £140k for Kelly plus more if we progress.

Kelly has got 8 or so extra weeks on 3-3.5k so upwards of £25k before tax. Wouldn't have been thought to be a gamble last summer, however looked decidedly dodgy as a speculate to accumulate with his form and when the provisional squad was announced.

12 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Absolutely none of that is a dig at Kelly btw but it's fair to say that it's worked out for both parties

100% - works for both parties and that's about all that could and should be said about it. Well played to Kelly and the club. 

Kelly will still be on his Motherwell wages + a wee bonus perhaps (e.g. a cut of the uefa fee) to make up any shortfall for  signing for his new club later than planned where he will be on at least double the wages. 

24 minutes ago, eliphas said:

100% - works for both parties and that's about all that could and should be said about it. Well played to Kelly and the club. 

Kelly will still be on his Motherwell wages + a wee bonus perhaps (e.g. a cut of the uefa fee) to make up any shortfall for  signing for his new club later than planned where he will be on at least double the wages. 

Aye.

I think the fact that it seems to be being framed by various media outlets as him signing a "short-term" deal which implies it's a new, fresh contract is causing folk looking from the outside in to see it as something more meaningful than it is when in reality the likelihood is that the expiry date of his existing Motherwell contract has been amended from 31st May to 30th June sometime in the last 6 months or so.

Which is broadly what happened with Gallagher albeit that was a quid pro quo to get the gun from his head and get us to drop the extra year he'd triggered.

On 07/06/2024 at 15:43, MurrayWell said:

Seeing a few generic EFL jobber teams are trying to sign Shaun Hutchinson... come on Motherwelll we can't be having that happen to our future captain. (Hoping to harness the power of The Thread here)

Don't think the wages are enough at Motherwell on probably his last big pay day. Family ties here, are a massive factor though , but our pay structure has limits. 

But..... Bring back The Hutch!