Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

13 minutes ago, wellboy1991 said:

Overloaded in centre mids if you ask me.

Davor, Miller, Paton, Halliday, Callachan, Sparrow, Slattery (if signs).

If you take Slattery out then the drop off in technical ability between Miller and everyone else is absolutely insane.

14 minutes ago, wellboy1991 said:

Overloaded in centre mids if you ask me.

Davor, Miller, Paton, Halliday, Callachan, Sparrow, Slattery (if signs).

If this means Kettlewell plays the 4 centre mids with one striker pish like last year and similar to Scotland on Friday, I’m not going to be happy. 

Yeah you are not going to be happy. 

On a side note, can someone more technically inclined than me telling me why I need refresh the official website every time I go to it. It's happened ever since we launched the site ages ago. Always need to refresh it after going to it - does my head in.

56 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

The problem is out of all the Society Members how many are actually paying attention.

How many are involved in chat on here and Steelmen? 100 maybe.

How many are downloading the Motherwell accounts and looking to see what the club is actually worth.

How many know what EBITDA is. I don't.

The whole point of having an Board of the Well Society is so that ordinary members don't have to do all this. The Society Baord have made their position clear, that this is a bad deal because they have looked at the detail. They should not expect ordinary members to undertake the same dilligence. And that is why they should step in.

Well my management accountant chum who did a valuation like he would for PE said an "EBITDA multiple doesn't quite work for a football team with inconsistent profits."

I agree the 9 now 7, should be 6, its up to them to get in to the details and get outside 2nd opinions, which they have. They are no slouches. Evaluate for us and decide. This dictated vote thing is b/s.

1 hour ago, Vietnam91 said:

Steelboy said over on SOL this was really an IQ test of our support. Nailed it.

Referencing Steelboy from SOL. Yikes. That's some frustrating memories you've just made me recall. 

Just now, eliphas said:

Referencing Steelboy from SOL. Yikes. That's some frustrating memories you've just made me recall. 

Listen, you told me 5 years ago I would I'd demanded satisfaction with pistols at dawn. He's got most of what's going on pretty much on point, few hot takes but that's his modus operandi.

1 hour ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

It's a very American term - I don't think it is in common usage in the UK so found it weird that it was in the statement - it's unlikely that 99% of supporters have ever heard of it. I work with Americans, so I see it all the time and it is a pet hate of mine as they say it as an actual word - pronounced "ee-bit-da"

5 minutes ago, eliphas said:

i read through the whole steelmen thread the other day

Steelboy was the first one to call this all out back in March 1st

https://www.steelmenonline.co.uk/forums/topic/18839-new-investment-options/page/7/#comment-638898

£333,000 a year for 6 years for the controlling interest of the club. Utterly ridiculous.

If this is true and McMahon and Weir are genuinely pushing for it then serious questions need to be asked.

Right on the overall number, right on the time frame. Right that serious questions need to be asked.

1 hour ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Earnings before interest, tax, depreciation and ammortisation,   Measure of how heavily impacted  your profits are by depreciating assets when compared to plain EBIT.

8 minutes ago, eliphas said:

The thread on Steelmen on this stuff is very decent - plenty of good contributions (at around an eighth of the length of the average on here :) )

2 minutes ago, Swello said:

The thread on Steelmen on this stuff is very decent - plenty of good contributions (at around an eighth of the length of the average on here :) )

I have always maintained that these SUPERTHREADS are bad for the forums as a whole. It makes reading things way harder than it needs to be and club fans dominate their own threads and it makes talking about things less appealing.

We should have a thread here just for the investment stuff.

7 minutes ago, 18May1991 said:

I don’t like those wee Twitter clips of the new signings. Can barely make the players out. 

Maybe it’s an age thing 🤔

The boy isn’t as ugly on the main site as his previous photos have shown.

I was just about to post that surely the Callaghan link was us doing an agent a favour by linking us when we’d clearly not be interested. Him and Sparrow are rather underwhelming but I’ll give them a chance. 

4 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

I was just about to post that surely the Callaghan link was us doing an agent a favour by linking us when we’d clearly not be interested. Him and Sparrow are rather underwhelming but I’ll give them a chance. 

He’ll be fine so long as he doesn’t play as a 6, 8 or 10.   Play him as a 6 and he’ll be suspended more often than he plays, play him as an 8 and he’s a whole pile of meh, and play him as a 10 and you get a Harry Paton. 

Having him and Harry Paton in the same team is a wild idea. 

The comments on the club's Facebook post about the investment are WILD.

There are genuinely Motherwell fans who seem to think we should be challenging for the league and 300k a year will make it happen.

One other I noticed was adamant that Barmack having 49% wouldn't give him more shares than the well society. I fear the vote may be closer than expected by this forum given that so many don't actually understand it.

15 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

so long as he doesn’t play as a 6, 8 or 10.   Play him as a 6 and he’ll be suspended more often than he plays, play him as an 8 and he’s a whole pile of meh, and play him as a 10 and you get a Harry Paton. 

Having him and Harry Paton in the same team is a wild idea. 

Other than that you think he's decent though, eh?

Edited by 'WellDel

5 minutes ago, standupforthemotherwell said:

Christ, I hadn't had a look at Facebook. It's fucking terrifying that a decent chunk of our support genuinely believe some of the nonsense spouted on that platform. 🤢

5 minutes ago, standupforthemotherwell said:

There are genuinely Motherwell fans who seem to think we should be challenging for the league and 300k a year will make it happen.

One other I noticed was adamant that Barmack having 49% wouldn't give him more shares than the well society. I fear the vote may be closer than expected by this forum given that so many don't actually understand it.

Tbf, I don't think anyone on here has ever been under any illusions that it would be closer than it should be. In fact there's a more than reasonable chance that it would actually carry for the precise reason you mention - folk don't understand what the impact of the deal actually is and also a significant section of our fanbase are literal idiots.

The one thing that's kind of an unknown I guess is how many of those Facebook morons are actually WS members because ultimately it's Society members who are doing the voting here.

I mean, I stand firmly in the camp that this shouldn't even be going to a vote. It should be taken out of the Executive Board's hands and launched as I think there's more than enough materially wrong with this situation that it justifies the Well Society just killing the whole nonsense.