Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

1 minute ago, FuzzyBear said:

TBF I think there is a massive difference between signing a striker who was a relative success in that league the last time and buying someone for the top league when he was probably the worst player in the Championship when he was last up here.

I'd ask Killie fans if they think he was a success, I suspect you'd get a different answer to the one you're hoping for. Again, Sparrow is a low risk punt that will likely only ever be used as cover.

13 minutes ago, Wellin said:

People have every right to their opinion - even if it doesn't align with the majority.  There are a lot of people with a vote who won't be on social media in any way shape or form. 

The well society have told people to reject the offer and it's up to people from there on in. 

Agreed, online forums and social media are not the be all and end all, far from it, no matter how bent out of shape some people might get. 

6 minutes ago, FuzzyBear said:

TBF I think there is a massive difference between signing a striker who was a relative success in that league the last time and buying someone for the top league when he was probably the worst player in the Championship when he was last up here.

Sparrow is obviously Kettlewell's 'project' player for this season. Will be a low wage bench option, and if he kicks on, great. If not it'll be "thanks for your efforts and all the best" next summer.

I'd guess Shaw will be coming in as one of your main striking options. I'm happier with where Sparrow sits in the scheme of things for us than I would be with where Shaw will be for Accies.

1 hour ago, Busta Nut said:

I actually think Oli Shaw is a bit of a coup for Accies.

I’m with you on this. I think he will score quite a few in that league for Accies. Good signing for them. 

However I am also with the others, he was a coo for us. 

Listened to Jay's interview there. A few hot takes that were discussion points early in this whole thing:

The WS let the Club board take the lead on negotiations as it was felt there was more expertise there and were surprised they didn't keep them more abreast of what was happening.

While 50.1% became a thing it is largely symbolic when the reality is Erik gets the gavel and casting vote from day 1. So the WS have to carry any vote 5-3. If both club employees abstain or are replaced then it may be a real possibility that the WS are unable to carry any vote despite being majority shareholder.

If the buyback is invoked in two years time, Erik walks with his money intact pretty much while the WS have paid 400k into his scheme and had to use the whole reserve to pay him back. Gotta love the in this together thing there.

It wouldn't be annoying if everything in this was so heavily weighted to the "investor". The valuation, the buyback, the control, the chairmanship, the repayment schedule, the WS ability to raise money in future, the WS matched contributions and the WS loan. If anyone can point out anything the WS get a little "win" in I'd be obliged.

Edited by Vietnam91

Not having any defences of Oli Shaw. He was fucking rotten. Genuinely one of the worst strikers I've seen play for us. Only one who immediately springs to mind as being worse is Jacob Blyth. 

The chance in the 2-2 game against St Johnstone when he either had to shoot himself or square it to Bair, yet managed to do neither, sums him up. Useless. 

36 minutes ago, wellboy1991 said:

I’m with you on this. I think he will score quite a few in that league for Accies. Good signing for them. 

However I am also with the others, he was a coo for us. 

Exactly this.

Both things can be true. The point and laugh at Accies - a smaller club in the league below - for signing him is a pretty weird energy IMO.

26 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

The chance in the 2-2 game against St Johnstone when he either had to shoot himself or square it to Bair, yet managed to do neither, sums him up. Useless. 

Was quite incredible really that he never managed an attempt at goal or an attempt at a pass here, virtually fell over the ball instead.

Screenshot_20240630_142422_YouTube.thumb.jpg.44b67d9a3eed34bf5eab3dbbf56ee8ae.jpg

57 minutes ago, MurrayWell said:

And still we wait for even a mention of a strategy from Erik (well except from the 10 per cent of a plan chat from weeks ago). 

Even all his bluster and charm offensive patter has calmed. 

Arrested Development Dancing GIF

He hasn’t posted here in ten days, but has logged in and out fairly regularly over that period. Is he just messaging the chosen few now?

2 minutes ago, BabyReindeer said:

He hasn’t posted here in ten days, but has logged in and out fairly regularly over that period. Is he just messaging the chosen few now?

The Thread has more intelligent and discerning clientele than Twitter or Facebook it would seem

24 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Exactly this.

Both things can be true. The point and laugh at Accies - a smaller club in the league below - for signing him is a pretty weird energy IMO.

I really don't think it's just a case of pointing and laughing for the sake of it. More just utter disbelief from many that, on what we saw of him in a Motherwell jersey, Oli Shaw actually makes a living as a professional footballer. He really is one of the worst performers I've ever seen for us, and I've seen my fair share in 40 years of going to Fir Park.

Oli Shaw was shite, but he barely played. There have been worse players that have played a lot more minutes. The whole Shaw thing is just a bit.

Now I need to think about who the worst player that played the most minutes was....

Probably a good distraction from arguing with moon howlers on Facebook.

Edit - some candidates:

John Hendry - 36 appearances, 3 goals, cost 200k

Kevin Christie - 38 games, bombscare

Craig Samson - 36 games, palm the ball to the middle of the box.

Greg Denham - 50 appearances (maybe skewed by a disaster against Ayr.)

Nathan McGinley - 45 appearances

Edited by rowsdower

9 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Exactly this.

Can't laugh and point at Accies at any opportunity? Away. You. Go. 

I'm all for polite discourse and dialling down the snide and argumentative comments of the last while across the MFC landscape at the moment. Everything needs to be nicer. But I will not stop laughing at Accies. 

Edited by eliphas

7 minutes ago, steelmen said:

What a player Teale was, even at the age we got him.

My biggest Da' opinion last Autumn/Winter was that we needed a 2020's version of Shaun Teale in the middle of our defence to make everything better. If things go really badly this year, I might move on to Rob Newman.

19 minutes ago, eliphas said:

But I will not stop laughing at Accies. 

The laughter of the St Johnstone fans from last season when we signed big Theo is still too fresh in my mind to go all in on this one TBH.

When we draw Accies at NDP in the cup and Shaw happily scores a late winner to put us out, I'm emigrating. 

46 minutes ago, Swello said:

The laughter of the St Johnstone fans from last season when we signed big Theo is still too fresh in my mind to go all in on this one TBH.

When we draw Accies at NDP in the cup and Shaw happily scores a late winner to put us out, I'm emigrating. 

My thoughts exactly.

50 minutes ago, Swello said:

We can fire the rivalry back up now Kettlewells in the papers gloating about signing our "double winning captain" if you like?

In all seriousness though, intrigued whether he believes Gordon was actually our captain then or is just saying it as a puff piece. Gordon as captain was, in general, a disaster of a time for us.