Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

43 minutes ago, Ceiling Granny said:

I’ve maybe missed this in the last pages (which were being written faster than I can keep up) but which goalie are people thinking will be our number 1? 

I don't think West Ham will have sent their boy up here to sit on the bench.

Guess we'll find out soon enough if the deal has been swiftly booted out/taken off the table. Hopefully it has.

I've said it before, I don't have any real axe to grind with Erik Barmack, I genuinely don't know enough about the guy, but I'm not sure who advised him that sort of deal would be acceptable. I didn't like that he was up for engaging with folk then disappeared when difficult and valid questions and concerns were raised about the lack of strategy and the use of Well Society funds. His intentions may well have been noble, but the deal wasn't right for Motherwell, we'd be looking for far more from an investor who wants to be chair, investment that meets the actual owners' valuation, and a plan that could provide evidence of financial security. Not sure how he'd come back from this poor offer and ridiculous process. Perhaps it would be better for all to look somewhere else? 

The fact the executive board allowed it to reach this stage is the biggest concern. Truly atrocious stewardship, with absolutely laughable communication around it. 

Hopefully this is resolved quickly, meaning the Well Society can get on with implementing their strategy, which gives real cause for optimism for fan ownership and any further investment complementing that model. 

Edited by MurrayWell

37 minutes ago, MurrayWell said:

I've said it before...

Aye, agreed with all of that.

I've said a few times that I don't think some of the individual parts of what he is/was proposing are a bad idea, but they definitely are when they're taken as parts of the whole package. So let's say, for example, he still thinks a documentary series is a viable way to make money; great! Give the club 10/15/20% of what it makes and keep the other 80/85/90%; for that we get the much vaunted #GlobalExposure and we see what that does for us when coupled with the Society's plan.

That could be particularly effective if the Society are the focus of bits of the documentary, demonstrating their ideas for strategic investment and other partnerships etc.

Pipe dream? Probs. But the documentary doesn't necessarily have to be made by Eric Barkarm.

3 minutes ago, StAndrew7 said:

Pipe dream? Probs. But the documentary doesn't necessarily have to be made by Eric Barkarm.

It doesn't but let's be honest a large part of his promise - implied if not explicit - was distribution of an ongoing series rather than mere production of a documentary... we could simply rehire Laura Brannan to do the film, as a non-expert I suspect that's the much easier bit compared to getting it broadcast all over the world on an ongoing basis.

I'm entirely happy to leave the WS board to decide whether to talk to EB again and if so what priority he merits. The dream of him taking a minor stake, shaking us up a bit and doing his films is still there but realistically it's just a dream...even if you don't blame him personally (we're all capitalists now, comrade etc) his part in the process, initial demands, insistence we're worth under £4m etc has consequences.

So if the WS say we have limited time and resources, we either invest a lot of effort in trying to find a deal with EB or we work with local business folk/interested parties to sell am initial 5% to a wee consortium, I have no doubt which I'd prefer...but as said, they've more than earned the right to have their judgement trusted either way.

2 hours ago, Ceiling Granny said:

I’ve maybe missed this in the last pages (which were being written faster than I can keep up) but which goalie are people thinking will be our number 1? 

Also, I’ve started following (is that the right word) a lot of news outlets etc on WhatsApp Channels. It’d be quite good if we had that, even if only for match day updates. I know it’s essentially just another social media but I find it much less faffy than Instagram/Twitter (maybe my age…). 

Number 1 is Hegyi.  Literally has the shirt.

As others above have said, would be good to see confirmation that the wild sheep offer has been withdrawn. If and when that's confirmed I'll be signing up to the WS, previously couldn't make those contributions. I hope this marks a serious uptick in both members and in contributions.

16 minutes ago, Self-raising Lazarus said:

As others above have said, would be good to see confirmation that the wild sheep offer has been withdrawn. If and when that's confirmed I'll be signing up to the WS, previously couldn't make those contributions. I hope this marks a serious uptick in both members and in contributions.

Aye, I'm the same; although I actually joined on the 11th of June because it felt like the right thing to do given the existential threat etc (a day too late to get a second vote, annoyingly). I think there are absolutely more people who will/have done so. Be interesting to see the figures from the WS once the dust has settled.

I don't necessarily have issues with EB. I just don't think we aim to conquer the world while spending a fortune on toys etc to do so is the way forward while we struggle to convince Motherwellians to come along just now.

2 hours ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Out of curiosity, at what age do they start being picky about getting 'this season's' kit? So far mine have been thrilled to get the half price offerings in April, dunno how long that'll last...

Tbf, he’s only 6 so he’s not that bothered. He just sees anything Motherwell and wants it. He got the away one towards the end of last season and wears it all the time. I’m quietly delighted to encourage this, whilst of course at the same time saying loudly how much it all costs. 

4 hours ago, Ceiling Granny said:

Also, I’ve started following (is that the right word) a lot of news outlets etc on WhatsApp Channels. It’d be quite good if we had that, even if only for match day updates. I know it’s essentially just another social media but I find it much less faffy than Instagram/Twitter (maybe my age…). 

I would expect the goalies to get 2 games each (possibly so that big Ox feels he has had a chance).

1 hour ago, Self-raising Lazarus said:

Initially, emotionally/intellectually I didn't believe in The Model

Part of this was a hardcore (from working in industry) view that businesses are businesses and, if they fail, there are tangible reasons for this. 

Partly through living overseas, I was blind-spotted as to the community element of the club. The post Covid response was a wake up call.

Time flies by, and, yes, The Well Society has proven to have worked, so far.

However, as others upthread have said, maybe, all these shenanigans might, in the long run, help the WS, and the club.

Only if we win shall I join, as, previously mentioned the club board are absolutely track two of record 12 FLAG 104; Discogs is your friend.....

It has kind of got lost in among the general shitstorm McMahon's caused but it was mildly interesting to hear Kettlewell talking about the pathway/development side of things in his pre-match in so much as we're not running a Reserve side so we're looking at loaning the weans out for development.

If nothing else the Football Department seems to be entirely functioning regardless of all the other fuckery.

Edited by capt_oats

25 minutes ago, witchfindergeneral said:

Any idea when we'll see our away kit?

In light of how the vote seems to be going, they're having to re-do the promo vid before release, since the one of McMahon and Barmack having a kick about doon the Dutchy wearing it that they were going to drop doesn't seem quite appropriate any more.

29 minutes ago, 'WellDel said:

In light of how the vote seems to be going, they're having to re-do the promo vid before release, since the one of McMahon and Barmack having a kick about doon the Dutchy wearing it that they were going to drop doesn't seem quite appropriate any more.

New society inspired away shirt is in the works;

s-l1600.jpg

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

It has kind of got lost in among the general shitstorm McMahon's caused but it was mildly interesting to hear Kettlewell talking about the pathway/development side of things in his pre-match in so much as we're not running a Reserve side so we're looking at loaning the weans out for development.

If nothing else the Football Department seems to be entirely functioning regardless of all the other fuckery.

That tuft of hair at the back needs sorting out.