Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

39 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Surely he's not signing another striker- taking us to 4 in the squad- to then play one up front all season? 

Until we are behind and then he throws them on and we end up playing with 3 or 4….

Can only hope Kettlewell's comments about adding some more options in the final third means an attack minded midfielder.

Trying to replace Spittal by simply not replacing him would be a bold move. 

2 minutes ago, Liam899 said:

What’s the realistic ambitions for the season ahead? How’s Robinson looking early doors? 

I've been happy with his contributions so far, but he's been starved on any real service that he can carve a chance from. He had a decent couple of efforts when he came on against Edinburgh and did well last night considering how little service and support he got.

He does remind me of early doors Bair a bit.

Edited by StAndrew7

7 minutes ago, Liam899 said:

What’s the realistic ambitions for the season ahead? 

Chasni pies & a top-six prize.

19 minutes ago, MurrayWell said:

Can only hope Kettlewell's comments about adding some more options in the final third means an attack minded midfielder.

I listened back to his post-match just there and kind of thought the same thing. Like, I'm not ruling out him signing another striker because the context was very much about replacing the contribution Bair made but the way he was talking it felt like he was meaning more than one player anaw.

As it stands the squad is sitting on 24 bodies (including Wilson and Ferrie) with us carrying Koutroumbis as a longer term injury.

I mean, I don't think we're bloated in the same way we often found ourselves when Robinson and Alexander were at the club but to speak to @crazylegsjoe_mfc's point we definitely feel like we're carrying a lot of the same *type* of player in the midfield area yet none of them actually address the fact that we've lost Spittal's creativity and haven't actually signed any #10s.

Edited by capt_oats

3 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I listened back to his post-match just there and kind of thought the same thing. Like, I'm not ruling out him signing another striker because the context was very much about replacing the contribution Bair made but the way he was talking it felt like he was meaning more than one player anaw.

As it stands the squad is sitting on 24 bodies (including Wilson and Ferrie) with us carrying Koutroumbis as a longer term injury.

I mean, I don't think we're bloated in the same way we often found ourselves when Robinson and Alexander were at the club but to speak to @crazylegsjoe_mfc's point we definitely feel like we're carrying a lot of the same *type* of player in the midfield area yet none of them actually address the fact that we've lost Spittal's creativity and haven't actually signed any #10s.

Aye agree with this, I think we'll 100 per cent sign another striker. But I'm hoping we do go for another Spittal/Nicholson type as it feels like we're really lacking there. 

11 minutes ago, Liam899 said:

What’s the realistic ambitions for the season ahead? How’s Robinson looking early doors? 

He's looking ok...not convinced he's ready as a lone striker but not unhappy we have him.

As for the season, no idea... I think we have a squad, which with a couple of additions (if key folk stay fit) could do well. But not only can virtually every team say that, you can equally you can see a path to us struggling, particularly if injuries continue as they are.

13 hours ago, Aidan said:

2, however if the gods are on my side and there’s only 3 slices of bread left, I’ll have it. Plenty of butter and cut diagonally.

Going posh on the toast now.

Diagonal or halved straight is like Sky v Council TV  :)

55 minutes ago, McFadden said:

The system is rotten and we are badly missing any sort of creativity. I would say please sign some wingers but Kettlewell is too stubborn to ever concede that his system is utterly gash. 

I think this is the thing for me; Kettlewell is setting up to play the same/similar system (i.e. wing backs) come what may. We have no other options to provide width/a Plan B. You could see from when he took over from Hammell that he doesn't like playing wingers (see McKinstry, Danzaki, Crankshaw) which I think is fine, if he signs players capable of providing the width he wants in the system he plays. I've yet to see anything to convince me those we have will do that. Again, there's injuries (Johnny K and Seddon) to who I would expect to be our starters in that position currently, but if those who step in to cover can't provide the width adequately, it really does beg the question what we're going to do.

1 hour ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Surely he's not signing another striker- taking us to 4 in the squad- to then play one up front all season? 

Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest. 

When we're chasing games he'll chuck Balmer up front to play the Mugabi role. 

A few thoughts on last night’s performance.

It was annoying me that Wilson kept making runs inside. I don’t know if he was instructed to do so but we were crying out for width and an out ball on the left. I’m still hoping we sign a Furlong/Gent type left wing back tbh.

Robinson held the ball up well but had no one bouncing off him. Halliday and Paton don’t have the speed, movement or creativity to play as tens. 352 actually suits the players we currently have in the building.

We’ve created so little in open play in the last two games. However, Lennon Miller’s weight of pass is exceptional. Imagine we actually had players making runs for him to play them in. 

The defence has been well organised with Gordon being very vocal. I don’t think Montrose had a shot until the Ox wonder save late on. Edinburgh didn’t have a shot at all. 

The game changed last night when Ferry was subbed on for Robinson. We stopped pressing as a team and became so slack in possession. Kettlewell has to take the blame for that as well as the lousy set up. 

I hate being the guy to criticise young players and I know he’s had limited time but I have just not seen anything yet from Ferrie to think he’s ready for the first team or even to be in the squad. 

Seems lightweight and goes down easy. Doesn’t look overly fast and has he even had a shot on target? Last night he had a chance to get a shot away and dallied too long. A good loan spell away certainly required I think. 

He should be made to watch all David Clarksons videos when he first broke though. How a young striker should work and harry.

Edited by wellboy1991

1 hour ago, Liam899 said:

Be above Dundee. 

19 minutes ago, wellboy1991 said:

I hate being the guy to criticise young players and I know he’s had limited time but I have just not seen anything yet from Ferrie to think he’s ready for the first team or even to be in the squad. 

Seems lightweight and goes down easy. Doesn’t look overly fast and has he even had a shot on target? Last night he had a chance to get a shot away and dallied too long. A good loan spell away certainly required I think. 

He should be made to watch all David Clarksons videos when he first broke though. How a young striker should work and harry.

I’ve said this before and he’s yet to convince me that he has anything about him. He seems to let the ball run through his path rather than controlling it and/ or using his body to shield the ball and retain possession.

Hopefully he will improve, maybe he’s a brilliant finisher in training I don’t know. But at the moment he’s pretty easy to dispossess which not what you want when you are throwing bodies forward to chase a game.

25 minutes ago, wellboy1991 said:

Can we re-sign Scott Mcdonald to play up top with him for a season?

20 minutes ago, Doctor Manhattan said:

I thought you might know that p***k! Just... f**k me, sideways! 😠

image.png.54caf0a8cb9c6ec8cca69a028932e320.png

I noticed what I'm assuming is yer man in the comments on Twitter. Not taking it well at all.

Tbh, from having had a browse of the profiles and timelines of those concerned the folk that seem to have been pro this investment proposal seem to have been gullible marks who will fall for an obvious grift.

Edited by capt_oats

22 minutes ago, Doctor Manhattan said:

I thought you might know that p***k! Just... f**k me, sideways! 😠

image.png.54caf0a8cb9c6ec8cca69a028932e320.png

Don't know him, thanks to google I know of him.

I really don't know the point that's trying to be made. That if Erik put forward a coherent business plan and the vote was announced on Monday as originally planned we'd not ever lose another match, two days into news of regime change?

The hyperbole and rhetoric really is wild. Pithy one sentence posts devoid of any rational argument advance nothing as well as suggesting impending doom because the majority didn't side with a minority view.