Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

2 minutes ago, welldaft said:

Balmer will be one of our 1st choice defence. I am quite certain of that. 

Hope so. I actually would probably keep Gordon on and play him ahead of Casey or Blaney. 

All down to next Sunday, it seems, with Thistle racking up a barrow-load.

Won't be a popular comment with some, but I thought Halliday did well, notably not in the Paton position.

But, why, when Casey has a simple pass to a team-mate did he seem to hit the ball full force? Makes the first touch nigh on impossible.

Posted (edited)

Well to be fair to Kettlewell, he did tweak the shape and it was certainly much better than Tuesday night. 

First half was decent enough, Wilson looked lively down the left and done well to set up the goal. One scare when we switched off from a quick free kick aside we looked comfortable . 

The first 15 mins of the 2nd half we stepped it up, we missed 3 or 4 great chances and should have been out of sight only to then concede the most comical goal you’ll see at any level this weekend. Suddenly what should have been a case of how many turned into a nervy cup tie. 

We got their in the end though I suppose, Miller head and shoulders above everyone else. Certainly looked much more of a threat going forward than the other two games but our defence still looks highly suspect under even the slightest bit of pressure. 

Edited by Casagolda

6 minutes ago, SteelyDosser said:

Was a rough watch, pitch didn't do any favours as players were stumbling over the ball most of the first half.  I'll take 3-1 but it's a flattering score

Is it really flattering? We could of scored 5 or 6 with the chances created and Clyde scored with one of maybe two half chances that came their way from our woeful defending.

Personally, found the game a bit more enjoyable than our efforts against Edinburgh City and Montrose. Quite telling that Miller is already the main man taking all the set pieces etc. Gonna be a player the boy. 

12 minutes ago, SteelyDosser said:

Was a rough watch, pitch didn't do any favours as players were stumbling over the ball most of the first half.  I'll take 3-1 but it's a flattering score

To them definitely, we could/should have been approaching double figures.

There's certainly grounds for concern but there's a few reasons for hope too...the next two games will go a long way to settling the mood.

Did the dreaded astroturf strike again with wee Harry injured??. Typical astro performance, ball getting a good leathering up and down the park. We should have scored more, but in all fairness, since the draw it's always been about next week against Thistle. Can see a few changes and hopefully a couple of signings.

16 minutes ago, SteelyDosser said:

For some reason I thought that King Louis' four against Accies was away.....seems that t'interweb says otherwise. 

My last plastic game was Clyde when the 'civil rapist' played. 

Have we ever played well on plastic? 

A genuine, and not a wind up question.

(Might recall a shitfestng win at Livvy before their rebrand.....)

Plenty of chances created, and on another day we could have scored 5 or 6.  Hopefully a bit of fine tuning can see a more cohesion in the front unit and we start sticking them away. Great penalty by Miller and the 3rd from Stuparevic was class.

Shambolic defending yet again for the Clyde goal, much improvement required there and Thistle will provide a much sterner test next week if we want to top the group.

Pies were shite.

I like the group stages of this tournament, think it's a good concept and gets competitive games back quickly. But I can't say I think too much about performances in it, as long as we get through the group.

I'm not sure why some folk get quite as worked up at this stage of the season, different story if it was looking like we were crashing out. I know Kettlewell has said he doesn't treat this as pre-season, and I'm not saying he treats it the same as friendlies, but I do think there is a degree of "more minutes in the legs and just make sure we get through" about it all. Not just from us, but from most Premiership teams. 

I'd imagine the team next week will look a bit more like what we'll start the Premiership season against Ross County with. 

1 hour ago, dezz said:

What a pen that was. Couldn’t have been more top bins. The defending 5 mins before that though - Ooft. And we’ve nearly just conceded again. 

Is Dunachie the guy that used to play for us at centre half? 

He is, the move to striker is a new idea that has taken every Clyde fan by surprise! More than capable defender as well but was prone to the odd mistake, particularly in the first half of last season.

Could have scored 6 or 7 but we were wasteful in the final third.  Their defence was god awful, and we really should have been padding the stats today.

We were comfortable for most of the game, except for a short period in the second half where it took us too long to realize dunnachie was just tall, but a total diddy. Has he been permanently converted to a striker?

Ebiye is a player with a terrible first touch, but he has the knack of getting on the end of chances, we just need to make sure that he only touches the ball in the opposition box.

Robinson has potential, he gets about and keeps the ball well, but he's a poor finisher. That can be improved though.

It was good to see Stuparevic get a goal, and a nice one at that.

The midfielders were all fine, with Halliday playing well in place of paton. Shame we didn't get the penalty for the foul on him to at least make his injury worth something. Looked like a stonewaller to me.

Guess we just need to enjoy Miller while we have him.

Maybe we will be sharper against better opposition next week.

Changed the system and created a bunch of chances which we failed to scored.

On another day we would have scored 5 or 6. However we could have easily conceded more than 1 goal. Clyde caused us a lot more problems that Edinburgh City or Montrose.

We need a Win vs Thistle now to win the group.

A shootout win probably wouldn't win us the group but it is pretty much guaranteed to be a best runner up spot. A shootout loss might be enough, we should know going in since our game is on the Sunday.

That is assuming Thistle win in midweek.

1 minute ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Changed the system and created a bunch of chances which we failed to scored.

On another day we would have scored 5 or 6. However we could have easily conceded more than 1 goal. Clyde caused us a lot more problems that Edinburgh City or Montrose.

We need a Win vs Thistle now to win the group.

A shootout win probably wouldn't win us the group but it is pretty much guaranteed to be a best runner up spot. A shootout loss might be enough, we should know going in since our game is on the Sunday.

That is assuming Thistle win in midweek.

Safe to say we’re conceding at least one.

33 minutes ago, Dan Electro said:

For some reason I thought that King Louis' four against Accies was away.....seems that t'interweb says otherwise. 

I've always remembered that game as a sliding doors moment for Bowman. He was great that day and stepped up to take the penalty before McGhee went Tonto and told Moult to take it.

Bowman had only been in the door a couple of weeks and I wonder if a goal early on might have given the confidence to kick on.

That’s comfortably the best we’ve looked going forward and also the worst we’ve looked at the back in the 3 games so far. There was basically no midfield when Davor went off. 

Wilson was much more of an outball and a threat on the left in the first half but seemed to stop supporting in the second half. There was a moment where Miller had to almost tell him by pointing to make the run to play him in. 

Casey’s passing is wild. Always behind his teammate or overhit. 

Moses, Miller and Halliday could all have had hattricks on another day. 

I really like the Robinson/Moses partnership up front. Robinson holds the ball up well and Moses makes good runs in behind. It’s a good combination. I know Moses missed a lot but he was making the runs to get the chances and also making space for others. Stupa’s finish was tremendous but I’m still not sure what I think about him yet. He seems to have a nice touch but a bit wasteful. 

Feel like we competed ok in the game, in which was a decent watch I thought. 

Ultimately you could’ve had a few more, especially in the spell before we scored. Not sure who it was that headed the initial ball in, but he claimed for a foul when he was doing a diving header instead of getting on with the game. 

Lennon Miller is clearly a cut above, would hope he’d stay with you for another year to get more games. 

Agree with Kettlewell about defenders going for balls they clearly couldn’t win, we got quite a few fouls or into space because of it. 

Just glad we didn’t get a doing, think Motherwell will push top 6 this year as have strengthened well but obviously now need to replace Bair, at least you have some cash to do it.