Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

3 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

Nah, full place is bat shit mental and full nutters with guns, racists and religious nuts. 

30 minutes ago, Allroy for Prez said:

Wait till you hear about the Middle East! 😂 

Wait until he hears about Larkhall...

4 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

I remember (maybe incorrectly) Resch was ok, Dorner didn't look great. 

My abiding memory of Dorner's short time here was him hitting the Motorola logo on top of the Cooper stand from about 12 yards out once. Impressively bad.

7 minutes ago, MP_MFC said:

My abiding memory of Dorner's short time here was him hitting the Motorola logo on top of the Cooper stand from about 12 yards out once. Impressively bad.

Having been used to Arnott , Coyle , Falconer and Tommy Coyne , Dorner was like pulling a guy out the crowd and asking him to play up front.

image.thumb.png.6cb8092f3d8a582c2e25a2e09508235f.png

Defence still scares me a little despite not seeing much so far of Balmer and how Gordon will marshal them. I did put a "?" Under McGinn as between the five central defenders you've pretty much got a degree of cover, more so if SOD drops back.

Not much scope here for many loanee's unless we lose a few starters to injury by late August. If Koutroumbis wasn't injured would we have got Kaleta? No idea if Seddon has got anything about him too. Shaun Rooney would have added something.

Mad that despite being in the role 18 months, the only player Kettlewell hasn't signed or extended is Blaney.

2 minutes ago, Vietnam91 said:

image.thumb.png.6cb8092f3d8a582c2e25a2e09508235f.png

Defence still scares me a little despite not seeing much so far of Balmer and how Gordon will marshal them. I did put a "?" Under McGinn as between the five central defenders you've pretty much got a degree of cover, more so if SOD drops back.

Not much scope here for many loanee's unless we lose a few starters to injury by late August. If Koutroumbis wasn't injured would we have got Kaleta? No idea if Seddon has got anything about him too. Shaun Rooney would have added something.

Mad that despite being in the role 18 months, the only player Kettlewell hasn't signed or extended is Blaney.

Seems far more positive than this time last year, in my view. Doesn't SOD merit a higher profile, given he's vice captain? In the respect, that, when available, Mark Reynolds almost always played when Craigan was captain.....?

13 minutes ago, Dan Electro said:

Seems far more positive than this time last year, in my view. Doesn't SOD merit a higher profile, given he's vice captain? In the respect, that, when available, Mark Reynolds almost always played when Craigan was captain.....?

Before injury I would have assumed either Koutroumbis would have started with SOD to see out the match or a gradual switch from SOD starting and doing a fair degree of mentoring. He simply doesn't have the legs beyond 60 minutes of getting up and down the wing our style of play will dictate. So I just bumped everyone down a position when Kaleta arrived. Koutroumbis seems to be out till September anyway.

If we don't have to invite loans then that enhances putting our own sellable assets in the shop window rather than developing other teams. Just at present there are still a few unknowns in our squad.

Edited by Vietnam91

4 minutes ago, Vietnam91 said:

Before injury I would have assumed either Koutroumbis would have started with SOD to see out the match or a gradual switch from SOD starting and doing a fair degree of mentoring. He simply doesn't have the legs beyond 60 minutes of getting up and down the wing our style of play will dictate. So I just bumped everyone down a position when Kaleta arrived. Koutroumbis seems ot be out till September anyway.

If we don't have to invite loans then that enhances putting our own sellable assets in the shop window rather than developing other teams. Just at present there are still a few unknowns in our squad.

My phone reminded me that two years ago, yesterday (or today) I attended Sligo at home. Literally, my last live game was Sligo away, albeit, plain clothes in the home end.....

Given that we've given Tom Boyd the captaincy two years out of a YTS, that we give VC to someone who's not physically good enough, seems a bit bizarre.....

However, there's been a fair bit of bizzarenes around our club in the past months, to be fair.....

1 hour ago, Gianfranco said:

I loved my trip to Sligo. I was one of the lucky ones that didn’t have a ticket. 

I also had a fantastic time, absolutely cracking wee town tbf, although watching the team get pumped and coming home with the 'rona did detract from the experience somewhat.

1 hour ago, Gianfranco said:

I loved my trip to Sligo. I was one of the lucky ones that didn’t have a ticket. 

Me too watched it in the pub on the big screen. There was one hard man Sligo fan trying to goad well fans to a fight in the toilets. Chip shop had magic curry sauce but was full.of Sligo fans with an air of menace. Taxi driver taking us back to hotel was waxing lyrical about Ross Tierney one minute then went into a mental hate tirade about the Ukrainian refugees the next. Nearly forgot - was off the Larne ferry 2 mins before being chased at 80mph by psycho lorry driver who forced me off the road then ran to my car in an absolute rage only stopping when my mates car arrived seconds later. Quite a trip....

8 hours ago, gannonball said:

For me I find this a bit of contradiction tbh. The gap in wealth is why it should be a pretty despicable place to want to live there. 

All I'm saying is that the US is a great place to live if you're a footballer bringing in even the average salary an MLS player earns. Would those players find it despicable to live in a nice house in a place such as Ohio or Kansas where they can send their children to good schools and enjoy the trappings of North American life? Maybe? I don't think so, though. Maybe they'd rather move to somewhere like Cyprus, as was mentioned, but I wouldn't want to live somewhere like that. 

I spend a fair chunk of my time in the US and Canada, and honestly? If I didn't have family and friends in Scotland I doubt i'd ever feel the need to return. The weather sucks for the most part, and the standard of living isn't as high as I've found elsewhere.

22 minutes ago, redstarcvedza said:

Me too watched it in the pub on the big screen. There was one hard man Sligo fan trying to goad well fans to a fight in the toilets. Chip shop had magic curry sauce but was full.of Sligo fans with an air of menace. Taxi driver taking us back to hotel was waxing lyrical about Ross Tierney one minute then went into a mental hate tirade about the Ukrainian refugees the next. Nearly forgot - was off the Larne ferry 2 mins before being chased at 80mph by psycho lorry driver who forced me off the road then ran to my car in an absolute rage only stopping when my mates car arrived seconds later. Quite a trip....

We found the Sligo supporters brand new before and after the game - we must have been looking so scunnered that they took pity on us and were buying us pints (and they genuinely couldn't believe how shite we were). Great bunch of lads. 

Game ruined what was otherwise a perfect trip - flat calm ferry crossings, nice digs, nice town, brilliant weather.

That's me missing the European trips now - jealous of Killie and Saints supporters :)

10 hours ago, 'WellDel said:

I also had a fantastic time, absolutely cracking wee town tbf, although watching the team get pumped and coming home with the 'rona did detract from the experience somewhat.

At the time I was living and working in Craigavon, Armagh. A boy at work was connected to Seamus Coleman, and it was through this connection, that I got in. 

"When you get to the ground, phone this number and ask for 'person X'"

When I phoned the number I was asked to walk to a green gate. Got to the gate, boy opens it, in, I go.

Dixie Dean played for Sligo, and there is a photo and storyboard in the home end.

I later learned that Sligo is a rare football town in Ireland, versus a GAA town. 

Edited by Dan Electro
Deans -> Dean

11 hours ago, Gianfranco said:

Yes, I met you, and a few others, the day after. Locals were great craic, too.

1 hour ago, Dan Electro said:

At the time I was living and working in Craigavon, Armagh. 

I'm there quite often, my wife's from Portadown. When we're over visiting it usually involves a day being dragged round the Rushmere and multiple stories of hungover Saturday shifts at Moy Park.

15 minutes ago, Al B said:

I'm there quite often, my wife's from Portadown. When we're over visiting it usually involves a day being dragged round the Rushmere and multiple stories of hungover Saturday shifts at Moy Park.

I used to work at Almac as a Principal Process Engineer. Own a prefab bungalow in Seagoe Park, which I'm letting out to an Indian family; lady doctor works at the hospital, 20 minutes walk away, with a young girl a four minute walk to the local primary school.

Prior to buying the bungalow, stayed at The Bannview. Staff are absolutely, the best I've ever met, anywhere.....

We don't half like an early season injury eh?

Repeating myself here, but we must be looking at an attacking mid?

Paton wasn't the answer there imo, but this must force our hand to look for an actual Spittal replacement.