Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

33 minutes ago, wellboy1991 said:

Tell you what, County doing some impressive bits of business. I really rate the lad Hale and now they have signed Chilvers from Colchester who looks a player. 

Think we could be in for a tough one on Saturday tbh.

It's always a tough one watching Motherwell, bring it on...

9 hours ago, wellboy1991 said:

Tell you what, County doing some impressive bits of business. I really rate the lad Hale and now they have signed Chilvers from Colchester who looks a player. 

I suspect we'll lose on Saturday (cue meltdown) and will have a tough start to the season. I stil think we'll survive when folk are fit but whether we lose patience with SK or not in the meantime is another matter.

4 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

I suspect we'll lose on Saturday (cue meltdown) and will have a tough start to the season. I stil think we'll survive when folk are fit but whether we lose patience with SK or not in the meantime is another matter.

This wasn't billed as a survival season, add in a war chest it's not out of place to insist on an improvement.

Heard a permacrock Killie midfielder is turning our heads at present.

17 minutes ago, Vietnam91 said:

Heard a permacrock Killie midfielder is turning our heads at present.

If it's Kyle Magennis, he's an absolutely cracking player when fit, but he's had a ridiculous run of injuries. Struggling to remember when he last played, start of last season? 

We don't half like keeping our physios busy eh? 

9 hours ago, wellboy1991 said:

Had/have no idea who they are. Googled them and still not entirely concerned I have to say. Certainly more concerned about us rather than what County are bringing.

29 minutes ago, Vietnam91 said:

This wasn't billed as a survival season, add in a war chest it's not out of place to insist on an improvement.

Yeah, that's not unfair. And frankly after 18 months I'd argue it's the manager's job to have pitched well enough to sort the medical department by now.

11 minutes ago, MurrayWell said:

If it's Kyle Magennis, he's an absolutely cracking player when fit, but he's had a ridiculous run of injuries. Struggling to remember when he last played, start of last season? 

Last December apparently according to Soccerbase 

1 hour ago, MurrayWell said:

8yxnor.jpg

23 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

Is Magennis any different to what we already have? Doesn’t seem like a Spittal type to me. 

Injured? No he's no different.

That aside, I've always thought of Magennis as an #8 rather than a #10.

He'd actually make sense if we were looking at playing a 352 or a 3412 (with the '1' as an advanced CM of a 3 rather than a #10) in so much as you'd be looking at him as someone making runs from midfield rather than being a creative midfielder.

Going for Magennis is absolutely crazy. It's like Kettlewell is continually chasing the loss of dismissing interest in Moult while keeping Obika and is desperate to fix up an injured gem to atone.

I'm pretty relaxed about short-term results (which I'd classify as up to a season or two) but getting fundamentals like this wrong, if it's true, fair weigh in his negative column.

2 minutes ago, TheMotherwell1 said:

Magennis is a cracking player that we’d never be able to afford without his injury problems.

Worth a punt if it’s not at the expense of at least 2 attacking midfielders joining. 

We've already got a cast of 1000s in midfield, adding another who'll likely spend half the season on the treatment table is a total waste of a wage. Save the cash for a proper attacking mid.

Just now, TheMotherwell1 said:

Magennis is a cracking player that we’d never be able to afford without his injury problems.

Worth a punt if it’s not at the expense of at least 2 attacking midfielders joining. 

:lol:

We already have 7 midfielders on the books. You think we're signing another 2 on top of Magennis (if it happens)?

See also @Handsome_Devil's post above.

8 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Going for Magennis is absolutely crazy. It's like Kettlewell is continually chasing the loss of dismissing interest in Moult while keeping Obika and is desperate to fix up an injured gem to atone.

I'm pretty relaxed about short-term results (which I'd classify as up to a season or two) but getting fundamentals like this wrong, if it's true, fair weigh in his negative column.

As well as making previously fit players injured, in the last few years we have signed Callachan, Obika, Souare, Moult, Aarons, Ojala and Nolan from the top of my head who were known crocks prior to signing. That list obviously spans three managers, but surely with that sample set, you could look at it and say that taking a gamble on a player who is injury prone doesn't particularly work.

When we were finishing second / third etc under McCall, we had about 15 first team players and furnished the rest of the squad with youth players. I know we spent a shit tonne of money (finishing 2nd and losing money etc) but I think a big part of that success was having most of the first team fit and able to play 30+ league games each a season, as we hardly ever got any injuries.

I can't quite understand the science of how ten years later our players are constantly dropping like flies. Obviously the above list of players with chequered injury problems being part of our squad plays a part, but do we have worse physios or medical staff then we did then? Is it the pitches? (I guess you could say with Paton and Butcher there is an argument for that) Is it the schedule? (I can't think of anything different other than four league cup games at the first stage rather than one). If it was over a season, you could say that we were unlucky, but after a while it's surely more than that.

If it works out Kettlewell looks a genius, if it doesn't then it looks like he still hasn't learnt his lesson from the Jon Obika saga.

The problem is, the odds of this signing actually working are 99/1

6 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

:lol:

We already have 7 midfielders on the books. You think we're signing another 2 on top of Magennis (if it happens)?

See also @Handsome_Devil's post above.

5 of those midfielders are completely different players to Magennis and I think *IF he’s fit then he’d really compliment Lennon Miller better than the other players we have. 

Halliday - Finished 

Paton - out for 14 weeks

Davor - not a box-to-box midfielder 

Slattery - won’t be seen until at least November 

Callachan - Squad player

Clear to see from the group stage that our midfield is a big problem currently. No balance and a lack of energy has been our Achilles heel in my opinion. 

May only need 1 attacking midfielder if we can get Nicholson on the pitch…