Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

4 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Anyone know why David Watson did nothing other than get rinsed repeatedly despite being the best young midfielder in the country?

His yellow card certainly didnt help him. Every time Tawanda got the ball after that he ran straight at him!

There was one run when he got in front of him and deliberately crossed his path twice inviting the tackle that would have led to a second red card.

Wonderful to watch.

2 hours ago, Cedrics Mighty Well Army said:

So, did Killie sneak on an extra one?

"Only up to five nominated substitutes for any one Club/club may Play in a Match, except in the event that Extra Time is played in any Match, where in such case a Club shall be permitted to use an additional substitute, a sixth in total, during such period of Extra Time."

Their other was a concussion sub. We'd have been entitled to make a seventh as a result too, had we wanted to.

12 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Anyone know why David Watson did nothing other than get rinsed repeatedly despite being the best young midfielder in the country?

Probably because he was away helping his team win in Europe in midweek while Lennon Miller was at home playing his Playstation.

1 hour ago, Doctor Manhattan said:

Sligo and Albania, eat your heart out Magenta Devine.

Been to any other global garden spots? Mogadishu? Soweto? Chernobyl, maybe...?

What about DPRK? Done that. My LinkedIn profile photo is next to a North Korean soldier girl, who was taller than myself.

Nepal, Bhutan, Brunei arguably the only territories in east Asia I've not been to. 

Sligo away was, honestly, via a connection of Seamus Coleman, whom is from Donegal.

The mandarin word is guanxi; connections. So, expecting shitloads of PMs from now on.....

SPFL mediawatch reporting Spartans in for £100k thanks to making the quarters. Wasn't sure if this was also including projected gate receipts from Pittodrie and lead me to check:

Winners - £400,000
Runners-up - £200,000
Losing semi-finalists - £150,000
Losing quarter-finalists - £100,000
Second round losers - £60,000

One third of a Heneghan minimum is useful.

2 minutes ago, Vietnam91 said:

SPFL mediawatch reporting Spartans in for £100k thanks to making the quarters. Wasn't sure if this was also including projected gate receipts from Pittodrie and lead me to check:

Winners - £400,000
Runners-up - £200,000
Losing semi-finalists - £150,000
Losing quarter-finalists - £100,000
Second round losers - £60,000

One third of a Heneghan minimum is useful.

The semi-finalists are also effectively guaranteed TV money and the gate is possibly split between the four? Or is that just the Scottish?

But either way, even if we lose to United, with KVV's promotion boost, Bair and a bit of progress here we've effectively filled the coffers for a couple of seasons' deficit - at least until we sack Kettlewell and go on a January panic spree.

Given we have a seven-figure insurance policy trotting around midfield, we're certainly in a position where calculated investment on and off the park is called for. Getting that right is easier said than done of course.

53 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I'm not saying that this would be a reason but I noticed on his IG that he was away at a wedding (presumably his brother's and from the comments he was best man) during the LC group. It's pinned on his profile 19th July 2024 - so the day before the Clyde game.

I'm not suggesting anything inappropriate but I wonder if he got a bit of time off and dropped to the bench because of it (he was on the bench as a sub for the game on the 20th) and the unit has broadly been fine since?

Presumably he informed us about it before he signed, I don't really have a problem with him going off for that. McGinn was in Germany too right after pre-season started.

46 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Probably because he was away helping his team win in Europe in midweek while Lennon Miller was at home playing his Playstation.

That whole 20 minutes must've really taken it out of him, then.

23 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Presumably he informed us about it before he signed, I don't really have a problem with him going off for that. McGinn was in Germany too right after pre-season started.

Nah, as I say, I'm not suggesting anything untoward or that I have a problem with it and in the grand scheme of things he's signed a 2 year +1 option so it'd be short sighted to take issue with it given it was presumably something he already had in his schedule when we started the conversation about him signing.

It's more just a suggestion as to why he might have dropped out the starting line up after the Edinburgh game. Again, not suggesting it's punitive or anything it was just that if he'd had a few days off it might explain why he was on the bench for the Montrose and Clyde games that week.

There's also probably an argument of not wanting to completely overhaul the defence in one go as we've effectively got two new goalkeepers and Gordon in the centre of the 3. We've seen how chaotic things have been with chopping and enforced changes in the forward positions.

Keeping a bit of continuity with Casey and Blaney, now McGinn maybe makes the transition in that area a bit more manageable.

Edited by capt_oats

12 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

I like David Watson. He's more physical and hussle and bussle than our technical wonderkid. 

Yet he did very little whilst he was on the pitch yesterday. 

Both are young kids so performances will vary greatly from 1 week to the next.

You look at Turnbull and he was excellent in midfield as well as scoring some impressive and important goals. I know they are different players but Turnbull career has arguably gone backwards in the last 12 months. He is young enough to turn it around and I so hope he can and does.

Lennon has great promise but he definitely needs time to hopefully add other aspects to his game. His finishing is lamentable. Most of the time he has a shot at goal he misses or it is weak and easy for the keeper. That is what will probably stop us from getting much or any more than the Turnbull transfer fee in my humble opinion. Hope I am wrong. 

28 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

I like David Watson. He's more physical and hussle and bussle than our technical wonderkid. 

I like Watson too, he reminds me a bit of Allan Campbell. He's probably a bit more of a goal threat than Campbell was, but they have a similar all-action style.

Miller is clear of Watson technically although I'm not sure if the 'piece of magic' posted by the official twitter earlier was totally justified... 🤣

Edited by dezz

4 minutes ago, dezz said:

Miller is clear of Watson technically although I'm not sure if the 'piece of magic' posted by the official twitter earlier was totally justified... 🤣

I saw that go up earlier and tbh, I don't think the angle they've used does it justice.

I watched the 90 back on MFC TV last night and in real time from the camera gantry it felt similar to the Zidane roulette turn he did against McGregor last season that everyone lost their shit over.

5 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I saw that go up earlier and tbh, I don't think the angle they've used does it justice.

I watched the 90 back on MFC TV last night and in real time from the camera gantry it felt similar to the Zidane roulette turn he did against McGregor last season that everyone lost their shit over.

It was right in front of us in the East Stand on Sunday and it was a "wow" moment for me.

Just the vision to see it and the effortlessness with which he pulled it off.

The kid is class......

Aye - it was way better in the flesh than on the socials...

Thought he had a right good game yesterday - not spectacular stuff but moving the ball in a way that everyone else in our team makes look difficult..

Aye, I was being a bit flippant to be honest, when I watched it live yesterday I gave a wee audible ‘ooft’ when he turned. Maybe just not the best angle on the socials as others have said.