Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

42 minutes ago, Alanos said:

Congrats to the folks voted on to the WS board. Think 2 or 3 of my votes made it through.

So many good candidates who will hopefully still be involved.

On @DerekWatsongate, I nearly didn’t vote for him. Not because of any political leanings (just read SO), it was just that I  remember a game of sevens a few years back when he didn’t pass to me when I was better placed to score 🤣.

Did he shoot, or pass to someone else? Also, did the passage of play end in a goal for your team?

I'll just hover over the "cancel subscription" button until you answer.

46 minutes ago, Alanos said:

Congrats to the folks voted on to the WS board. Think 2 or 3 of my votes made it through.

On @DerekWatsongate, I nearly didn’t vote for him. Not because of any political leanings (just read SO), it was just that I  remember a game of sevens a few years back when he didn’t pass to me when I was better placed to score 🤣.

What strip was he wearing?

53 minutes ago, Alanos said:

image.thumb.png.b55bbaba991b7fa6e3b049fea97b62ba.png

As Tom's the backsie, Derek is very much the left winger.

Glad we've got pace through the middle.

EDIT: Credit to Yassin from about 200 pages back.

Edited by Vietnam91

6 minutes ago, Vietnam91 said:

image.thumb.png.b55bbaba991b7fa6e3b049fea97b62ba.png

As Tom's the backsie, Derek is very much the left winger.

Glad we've got pace through the middle.

EDIT: Credit to Yassin from about 200 pages back.

(Liked by Stuart Kettlewell)

3 at the back!

14 hours ago, Vietnam91 said:

Back onto football chat, here's your current team with our 14 (fourteen additions) which is a league high for now. Feels very much like a Dingwall in January .... oh wait ....

image.thumb.png.b638dc7748ff1867c2220bba7ebe3bfd.png

Looking at that, I think its safe to assume Luca Ross and Dylan Wells will be going out on loan at some point.

Wilson will probably feature enough to justify keeping around. He looks ready enough to me.

Congrats to everyone elected.

Commiserations to those who didnt.

2/4 of my choices got in. But can only echo others in hoping we can harness as much of the available talent as possible.

We now have a very strong Society Board.

The next stage must be ensuring the Executive Board/Chair is the same and is in line with the Society Board re direction of the club.

Exciting times.

12 hours ago, AdamMFC said:

Yeah I don't like it either and on the topic of lists....can we stop this nonsense of players in the starting 11 being listed in their position? Let's just get back to the numerical order. I don't know why or remember when this started but I really don't like it.

I think you can blame squad-numbering for that.

1 hour ago, Cedrics Mighty Well Army said:

I think Lennon Miller is the only hot prospect not currently the subject of a bid by Chelsea.

How do you know? Our club ends to deal with these things very quietly 😉

5 minutes ago, fatcalf said:

I'm sure such a fee would be considered "transformational" and as such we'd be shouting it from the rooftops. Well, some people would be anyway. 

22 minutes ago, fatcalf said:

June 10th club statement:

"Net assets – the club does have net assets – but to realise these would mean selling the ground – work we have done in looking at a new stadium has estimated a cost of £40m – net assets is only a valid basis to look at the deal if the assets can be sold. Ours can’t be."

No mention of players in the 10th statement at all, just the stadium and land. I don't know what a player is other than an asset with a monetary value, we must be the only club in world football who don’t consider our playing staff to have value.

June 18th club statement:

"On a similar point the subject of valuing players when you cannot force them into contract extensions along with the risks around injury etc. is also a significant issue. So, to state that the club is worth much more than £4m by simply aggregating our net assets with a “value” for players is completely wrong."

Then on the 18th we now suddenly do have assets but we can't count players, which is the narrative Tom tried to peddle at the meet and greet but walked back at the AGM where he was very optimistic of attaining a sizeable fee for Lennon.

Really hope we arent intent on selling Miller this window.

Obviously the size of any bid will determine whether he leaves or not.

But he would stand a better chance of nailing down a starting position at a bigger club if he had more first team football under his belt.

Also, from a selfish point of view, Id prefer him to leave when our midfield isnt utterly reliant on him.

Interesting listening to Halliday speaking about maswanhise. 

Along the lines of sign him right now after the everton game otherwise Everton will sign him he was that good.

maybe play a bigger part than some of us are expecting 

38 minutes ago, Neil86 said:

Interesting listening to Halliday speaking about maswanhise. 

Along the lines of sign him right now after the everton game otherwise Everton will sign him he was that good.

maybe play a bigger part than some of us are expecting 

Usual caveats apply to judging a debut (against 10 men at that) but I don't see why he wouldn't play quite a bit...not every week from the start perhaps but it hat applies to the majority of our team anyway.

Depends on quite what is included as the 'club option' in his contract but as someone mentioned, a Kipre situation where he gets at least one revised deal asap is far from unfeasible.

1 hour ago, Vietnam91 said:

June 10th club statement:

"Net assets – the club does have net assets – but to realise these would mean selling the ground – work we have done in looking at a new stadium has estimated a cost of £40m – net assets is only a valid basis to look at the deal if the assets can be sold. Ours can’t be."

No mention of players in the 10th statement at all, just the stadium and land. I don't know what a player is other than an asset with a monetary value, we must be the only club in world football who don’t consider our playing staff to have value.

June 18th club statement:

"On a similar point the subject of valuing players when you cannot force them into contract extensions along with the risks around injury etc. is also a significant issue. So, to state that the club is worth much more than £4m by simply aggregating our net assets with a “value” for players is completely wrong."

Then on the 18th we now suddenly do have assets but we can't count players, which is the narrative Tom tried to peddle at the meet and greet but walked back at the AGM where he was very optimistic of attaining a sizeable fee for Lennon.

I’m coming from a position of complete ignorance here so happy to be corrected, but isn’t it quite logical that player values aren’t included because they are completely volatile and more or less imaginary? 

Think of the Randolph, Ruddy, Gillespie, Carson - at the peak of their performances with us I’m sure we could argue a combined value of five, ten million. Instead we got a couple of undisclosed fees thought to total about a few hundred thousand.

Even Turnbull, our most prized asset at the time, bolstered his value by signing a contract extension when he already had a move to Celtic more or less lined up. That could’ve ended very differently.

I think the club can be forgiven for saying they’re hopeful a player will go for X, but a players financial value is only ever realised at the point of sale. 

22 minutes ago, CoF said:

I’m coming from a position of complete ignorance here so happy to be corrected, but isn’t it quite logical that player values aren’t included because they are completely volatile and more or less imaginary? 

Think of the Randolph, Ruddy, Gillespie, Carson - at the peak of their performances with us I’m sure we could argue a combined value of five, ten million. Instead we got a couple of undisclosed fees thought to total about a few hundred thousand.

Even Turnbull, our most prized asset at the time, bolstered his value by signing a contract extension when he already had a move to Celtic more or less lined up. That could’ve ended very differently.

I think the club can be forgiven for saying they’re hopeful a player will go for X, but a players financial value is only ever realised at the point of sale. 

The issue I'm highlighting the complete u-turn in the recognition of player worth.

In only eight days players were mentioned when they were omitted before, but in both instances it was "move along, nothing to see here". With our season finishing three weeks prior at that stage and Theo moving four weeks later (would no doubt have been sooner if he wasn't involved in a tournament) then it's entirely feasible that bids were tabled and known of which changed the dynamic of the investment offer on the table overnight.

All the while with chat of a reported £1.6m is bouncing between ML1, central France and Hamburg. That money alone changes the complexion of the deal massively no concessions or alterations were made in light of it. Only thing of note is Erik’s concession of 46% to 50.1%. While we have no idea if he was told about the interest in Theo, the percentage switch seemed more linked to online backlash than recognising an imminent cash injection.

I may be wrong about Turnbull but didn't he do a press conference in a Celtic strip with a fee agreed and went a year later for pretty much the same fee with an operation and rehab under his belt but a much enhanced contract and wage from us during that period?

With respect to the goalkeepers you cite, yes we should have realised something, was everything done that we could have back then to shop window them, I can't speak to that. But one major thing changed since which is Brexit, meaning UK based clubs can't entertain a pool of 500m people with freedom to live and work with no caveats. It was reported at the 2023 AGM that its effects mean there is more demand for UK based players.

Potential for a player in the last year of their deal to be written down if they don't go in the summer window and if nothing further happens in January, then yes, zero is the outcome.

I'll reiterate, no other club would not consider playing staff assets on multi-year deals as anything other as very good potential to realise a profit.