Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

1 hour ago, Randolphtops said:

Heard this last night from a good source, certainly points away from Blackpool guy, and does indicate the Kett axe maybe getting sharpened?

giphy.gif

9 minutes ago, ClaretAmberb said:

He said that Slattery had signed a new contract around a week before it was announced 

It was longer than that.

O'Rourke's post was May 31st. The announce was June 20th.

1 hour ago, Randolphtops said:

Heard this last night from a good source, certainly points away from Blackpool guy, and does indicate the Kett axe maybe getting sharpened?

When some guys have yet to get their orientation packs and email addresses issued you have to ask what were we thinking and points to a hungry hippo approach to recruitment possibly lacking due diligence.

Wilkinson is the only perm guy I can think of who was brought in on a two year deal and shipped out by Christmas. I know there was more to it but even still.

5 minutes ago, Vietnam91 said:

When some guys have yet to get their orientation packs and email addresses issued you have to ask what were we thinking and points to a hungry hippo approach to recruitment possibly lacking due diligence.

Wilkinson is the only perm guy I can think of who was brought in on a two year deal and shipped out by Christmas. I know there was more to it but even still.

_99768201_gettyimages-810259140.jpg

12 minutes ago, MurrayWell said:

gettyimages-1295264261-612x612.jpg.c5e7b5c4d945f841bac0208169cff180.jpg

*think he technically got punted in the January, but joined on a two-year deal. 

Did the bold Casper not end up leaving Notts County in pretty much the same window?

:lol:

He did.

Screenshot2024-08-22at17_07_34.thumb.png.2b71c4dcd22d5912805bc2a922111596.png

28 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

I’m not convinced Jack Vale is any better than what we’ve got in building. 

So much for us needing investment 🤣.

Last summer Ketts was killing off more than a Game of Thrones episode, this summer it's like he found a cheat code for FM24.

4 hours ago, Eliphas Pettigrew said:

It seems to me to be more of finding the right set-up, right balance and the right players for the midfield positions - as early on it seems to be more of a problem linking everything together that makes us look toothless at times

By the looks of things Ketts idea of balance is 5 at the back and 5 up front.. His philosophy is clearly that Midfielders are for cowards and just forwards with the handbrake on .

I’m  strangely all for it - please sign me up for our “ Charge of the light Brigade” tactics for the new season .

4 hours ago, capt_oats said:

St Johnstone fans definitely have opinions on him at the moment as his account has been firing out stories about Sidibeh all summer.

I get the impression that he's one of those that agents feed stories to and he publishes them in a quid pro quo sort of situation.

He's 100% one who's fed stories by a small group of agents, and his main role is to build hype.

He's currently at 12 or 13 different clubs he's linked Sidibeh with, and he started the £500k release clause rumour, and our clubs been pretty open that literally none of it is true.

He's likely been told you're looking for a new striker, told that to his agent pals, and now you're getting linked with any striker looking for a move and wanting their availability made public.

11 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

He's 100% one who's fed stories by a small group of agents, and his main role is to build hype.

He's currently at 12 or 13 different clubs he's linked Sidibeh with, and he started the £500k release clause rumour, and our clubs been pretty open that literally none of it is true.

He's likely been told you're looking for a new striker, told that to his agent pals, and now you're getting linked with any striker looking for a move and wanting their availability made public.

Not that it means anything really about the journo in question but I'm pretty sure that the Vale one is true. No idea about the other guy linked.

Also, apparently Stuparevic is being punted for a loan out somewhere. 

I’d take Vale back, but the squad is getting bloated.  I don’t know the ins and outs of signings/loans/agent fees etc etc but I’m not as far as I’d like to be from panic mode that the Bair money will be gone and we’ll have 16 jobbers/injured players in his place. 

24 minutes ago, Ceiling Granny said:

I’d take Vale back, but the squad is getting bloated.  I don’t know the ins and outs of signings/loans/agent fees etc etc but I’m not as far as I’d like to be from panic mode that the Bair money will be gone and we’ll have 16 jobbers/injured players in his place. 

Tbf, our hand has clearly been forced given the number of injuries however if you look at it in a purely numbers sense, the general consensus is that a squad of around 24 first team players is optimal.

We currently have 27 albeit that includes Ferrie who is likely to be loaned out. So from that POV we'd be 2 bodies over what would be considered ideal. However you can't really ignore the fact that 7 of those 27 are long term injuries.

As far as the financing of our trolley dash goes per @RandomGuy.'s Summer Transfers thread we've moved 10 players out and brought in 13 (that doesn't include Nicholson who was here last season - Watt and Maswanhise haven't been added to our incomings on the thread as far as I can see).

I suppose what I'm getting at is that although there's been what feels like massive amounts of churn (so far) we've only brought in 3 more than have moved on - which, I dunno, doesn't feel like it'll be burning much of the Bair money (although we'll clearly be using some of it). 

Edited by capt_oats