Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

7 hours ago, camer0n_mcd said:

Ketts and Frail at the Off The Ball birthday celebration. I wonder who could waffle more shite between Cowan and Kettlewell.

It's a ridiculous notion but I always like to imagine that when a manager and his assistant are out of the football context, their relationship and dynamic remains the same like in some cheap comedy sketch.

2 hours ago, Handsome_Devil said:

It's a ridiculous notion but I always like to imagine that when a manager and his assistant are out of the football context, their relationship and dynamic remains the same like in some cheap comedy sketch.

I imagine they have the same relationship as Greg Davies / Little Alex Horne 

I may be a mouldy old fig, but as a young gnome there was nothing to beat the FP atmosphere in the 80s, on the terracing by the fence at half-way. Especially against the DCHSBs which was usually a bruising battle on and off the pitch.

Pie, Jimmy Yuille, yon big guy from Dumbarton (or somewhere) who was permanently pished, WFTGLF...

Ah, happy days.

Do we expect any susprise bids for our prized asset - young Mr Lennon Miller ?

2 Celtic fans on Superscoreboard last night saying Celtic should sign him and loan him back....that old chestnut 🙂

I thought he started poorly on Sunday for 1st 15 minutes (even Andy Halliday agreed).  Then of course he showed what he is capable of.  A Rolls Royce of a footballer.

Surely there must be clubs out there that recognise his abilities and potential that would want to steal a march on other clubs ? Maybe not but seems surprising given all the media hype etc.

10 minutes ago, welldaft said:

Do we expect any susprise bids for our prized asset - young Mr Lennon Miller ?

2 Celtic fans on Superscoreboard last night saying Celtic should sign him and loan him back....that old chestnut 🙂

I thought he started poorly on Sunday for 1st 15 minutes (even Andy Halliday agreed).  Then of course he showed what he is capable of.  A Rolls Royce of a footballer.

Surely there must be clubs out there that recognise his abilities and potential that would want to steal a march on other clubs ? Maybe not but seems surprising given all the media hype etc.

I think it depends on Miller himself. Normally you get the feeling youngsters are itching to get the status boost and cash their cheque, in contrast he seems resolute that being in our first team and developing at his own pace in senior football, as opposed to U21/23 is the best place to be... so long as that's the case, I don't see us selling him now.

January with the mythical loan back option might be considered and next summer, should he not extend again, we're pushing him out the door. 

53 minutes ago, Cedrics Mighty Well Army said:

I may be a mouldy old fig, but as a young gnome there was nothing to beat the FP atmosphere in the 80s, on the terracing by the fence at half-way. Especially against the DCHSBs which was usually a bruising battle on and off the pitch.

Pie, Jimmy Yuille, yon big guy from Dumbarton (or somewhere) who was permanently pished, WFTGLF...

Ah, happy days.

Now that brings back memories.

Jimmy Yuill still about?

A sale and loan back would be the best possible scenario for the player and club from the next two windows. If one is tabled in the next few days the club have to wrestle with getting the safety of the cash now or holding out for another 25 games under his belt by the January one or pushing on to 100 appearances by next summer and how more polished (and in theory valuable) he will be by then. However we need a buyer by then or a contract extension and I'm sure the memory of Max Johnstone weighs heavily on any decision makers thoughts.

One thing is sure, Lennon and his old man will be well aware of what happened to McKinstry, there is no point leaving to languish in a big club academy playing reserve matches. Also how a manager who bought you can change can send a young players career into a spiral (Ange and Turnbull)

If he goes to Celtic then I'll greet, probably because they fielded the least amount of U21 Scottish minutes last year despite coasting loads of games where they could have introduced some guys. SPFL starter to B team Lowland League is not two but five steps back.

27 minutes ago, Vietnam91 said:

One thing is sure, Lennon and his old man will be well aware of what happened to McKinstry, there is no point leaving to languish in a big club academy playing reserve matches. Also how a manager who bought you can change can send a young players career into a spiral (Ange and Turnbull)

I have often compared him to Haaland (no laughing at the back), not because of ability because his ex-pro dad had clearly been preparing him for senior football from a very young age. You could tell from the first time you saw Miller -aged 16 and hours - standing beside adult substitutes v Inverness, the support his dad had been giving him wasn't just a couple extra kickabouts in the park.

Similarly while Haaland was always going to end up at City or Real etc, they were aware taking a couple of extra steps to get there (Molde-Salzburg-Dortmund) was a better solution for him personally than going immediately to a giant as a child prodigy (like Odegaard, since we're comparing Norwegians).

Of course, as plans change when you get punched in the face, plans can change when you're offered a contract worth millions...but the Millers seem very grounded and very committed to their plan and as such doing a mckinstry is surely a total no no. I don't think he'll move till he's confident he'll be a starter at his next club, and his next club will be one willing to play and develop him over three-four years to turn a £4m player into £20m plus.

We'll see!

Edited by Handsome_Devil

100%, I'd be surprised if the Italians didn't come knocking, it seems as a nation we're very much doing very well as a cost effective shopping trip for them.

Bologna buy Hickey for £1.5m and sell him for over £10m two years later. They use that to buy Ferguson who quickly becomes captain and wins the Serie A midfielder of the season.

Verona made over £2m in two years with Josh Doig. And now Napoli are looking for a Gilmour, McTominay double.

Didn't Turnbull insist on appearances as part of his move to Celtic?

Unless he signs an extension it is a case of at what point is his value highest for us as a club. 2 years left v 1.5 v 1yr and extra appearances….

The top clubs in the Premiership seem almost OK with spending £20m+ on players that don’t work out. £4m + add ons for one of Scotland brightest prospects seems a no brainer. 

I don’t doubt he will want to play and develop but if and when bids start then it becomes interesting…

On the Serie A thing, I was honestly convinced if Ferguson went to Juventus, as was reported before his injury, Bologna would come calling for Miller. 

Think he'd be terrific in that league. To be honest, he be terrific in any league.

I know it's just phone-in chatter at the moment, but I struggle to see what value (for football development) there would be for Lennon to move to Celtic now, when there are already a host of clubs, in bigger leagues, looking at him. 

11 hours ago, camer0n_mcd said:

Ketts and Frail at the Off The Ball birthday celebration. I wonder who could waffle more shite between Cowan and Kettlewell.

The BBCs Motherwell bias on show again. 

1 hour ago, Cedrics Mighty Well Army said:

Ah, happy days.

Indeed there were some real characters back then. For anyone interested I asked Pie about the origins of the 'ZImbabwe Ooh' chant. Here's his reply....

"[19:40, 26/08/2024] Pie: Can't remember you asking - - - - - but I do recall it's origins.
Think the guys name was Jim or John, lived/worked in Dundee. Couple of years older than me I'd say, short blonde hair. 
Lge Game at Dens 79/80 ish. Only the covered terr behind the goals open - with both sets of fans in it and a small no man's land. Lots of scrammashes and we ended up getting beaten back.
I looked at Jim/John and said we need a war cry. He nodded his head and shouted Zimbabwe Ooooo and dived into the Dundee fans. I followed suit with others behind us doing same thing and the Dundee fans shit themselves.
[19:40, 26/08/2024] Pie: Not that I condone terracing violence - but it was unavoidable  back then."

Got to get that wee caveat in at the end eh? 😅

Aye, echo the above. Going to either of the old firm would be way off the mark, I think his progress is more likely to stagnate. Same goes for a move to the premier league, he would no doubt end up out on loan at Middlesbrough for a season or something.

Would love to see him get a move to Italy or Germany.

I took a note to follow Bailey Rice’s trajectory in comparison to Miller’s.  Currently Miller is winning in terms of game time and experience, Rice may have a better bank balance and his dad has a greater standing down his local.  Although I would prefer to have a pint with Lee Miller.  The next move for both will be interesting (I would count Rice moving into the First XI plans as his next move if it happens.)

Lennon Miller’s valuation will surely rocket between now and January if he keeps playing well. I’d wait until then and at least a couple midfielders might be back by then. No need to rush him out and I get the impression he’s fully focused on getting minutes so benefits both parties.  

I’d be keen to sign Ryan Jack on some kind of deal think it would give us a good option, just the obvious factors being a high wage (probably) and injury prone.